What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (87 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJ81 that came in with a blown HG back in action, new and improved as well.

View attachment 2823209View attachment 2823210View attachment 2823211

Videos of it running and more pics of the rebuild process on our IG page.

Ch
HDJ81 that came in with a blown HG back in action, new and improved as well.

View attachment 2823209View attachment 2823210View attachment 2823211

Videos of it running and more pics of the rebuild process on our IG page.

Cheers
One of the best things about a diesel is that at idle it sips fuel and sounds awesome. I wonder how much fuel it would use idleing for an hour.?

Installed this entertaining little jewel last night, don’t ask me why I didn’t do this when replacing the PHH

AA9C59FB-8057-414E-ABE2-2BB9F53E0507.jpeg

Because it’s a little jerk. Mine is still in the bag - trimming off the chewed-up lower end fixed my leak. PHH any day!
Trust me I thought about that but the old original hose looked so bad that I knew that wasn’t going to work.
Did you pull the throttle body to do this?
Yes but not completely, I left the throttle cables attached to the TB and was able to rotate and lift if enough to get to the hose. Other key for me on the lower connection to the nipple was to place the clamp on the hose in its correct position then lightly lube the inside of the hose and push it into place. I used a little silicon spray and a QTip for this.

Last edited:
Y'all ever slam your 80 series to cruise the mall?

51136887805_845e5c0637_k.jpg

Yeah, me neither, did get to test my new Dobinsons stuff though, pretty sure every damn bushing, tie rod, and bearing involved in the front end of my 80 needs replacing, so clunky and wandery right now. Lockers still work and it climbs stuff still tho.

51333502798_a64e64069f_k.jpg

51333501908_753cd59a20_k.jpg

Test fit the light camp setup and awnings. Slight wind reminded me to make sure to bring the stakes for the Alucab shower or get a cold wet surprise on the a$$, looks a bit transparent in the full sun too... also ordered some low Prinsu rise mounts(works perfect on the Bowfin) to take it down a bit. The swift is way bigger than expected but sets up well.
Going to reverse engineer the Safari and have a local shop re-fit the top and gaps better, it is falling apart. Might do a full remake but she is asking $1000 for the first one. I would have to bulk order try to sell them to make it worth it and bring down the cost. Not sure I'm liking that. anyone interested?:doh: I think the original was around $500 20 years ago.
@Delta VS I think I got an easy solution to 90 degree open the rear swing out's by modifying your stops you have with aluminum or steel and make an additional hole further out for a second stop and still leave the first where it is. Any chance you would be open to making this or share the CAD drawing on it so I could fab one local? It would allow me to dock my EZ-up cube better and maybe mount a table on the outside ladder to get it under the awning.

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

Installed this entertaining little jewel last night, don’t ask me why I didn’t do this when replacing the PHH

View attachment 2823414
Just pulled the intake to do the same while I have PS pump and starter out for replacement. Also found this unwelcome surprise...

PXL_20211030_012422381.jpg

Installed new OEM hood insulation. The cost pinched a little, but my existing insulation was in shreds. It balled up like a wet blanket when I removed it earlier this week. Definitely time to be replaced.

Chasing down some mystery rear hatch wetness in both lower corners. Sounds like I need to seal the bolts that hold the sliding window molding with RTV.

In inspecting everything, also saw that my main rear hatch weatherstripping has become compromised. Sweet.

CF5BBAC0-A1A0-4D1C-95F5-88BFD62490F3.jpeg

0453BCA1-0FB3-4875-9791-D605F89AB6F6.jpeg

3AD50DCC-02E6-4507-8AAF-E49E643A2FCB.jpeg

Front soft lines installed. I should have pressure washed the underside before going under, layer of dried mud in fender wells, and thick oil, greasy layer underneath due to leaking oil pump cover. Could not get the clip installed on the driver side soft line but the engine is coming out in a few weeks and I'll have good access then.

View attachment 2814557

Only took an additional two weeks to finish this up. New rear rotors, calipers, shoes, etc., yanked the ABS and LSPV, bled the brakes and braking is improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom