What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not quite this weekend but maybe two weekends; spending almost two weeks in Costa Rica and admiring the Cruisers we unfortunately don’t get in the US....

View attachment 2538693

View attachment 2538694

View attachment 2538696
And a few more...

0E074B2E-1C4B-44D0-BC8C-98028F9DA937.jpeg

2138D270-0E08-4199-823A-F390DFDC5323.jpeg

C89DEC85-D32D-452A-A042-D8B1B19F7A7F.jpeg

58069EEC-DD2A-4717-8C9E-4DBDEF030899.jpeg

That’s a great idea! I’m always standing on the tire or a cooler trying to get in there. Thanks for the tip!
It helps sometimes not being a big guy.

Just saying.

:lol:

ABC80CD7-CDAA-4E0B-A947-662B1461A793.jpeg

My son and I are ready to tackle the part of our 80 most in need of attention.

We have our work cut out for us this New Year weekend! Good stuff though. It’s gonna make a significant improvement in braking, steering and handling. We’ve already installed a new tie rod and TR ends and new drag link ends.

44A21DC0-A3B4-42EA-9C06-516893BF6AA9.jpeg

My son and I are ready to tackle the part of our 80 most in need of attention.

We have our work cut out for us this New Year weekend! Good stuff though. It’s gonna make a significant improvement in braking, steering and handling. We’ve already installed a new tie rod and TR ends and new drag link ends.

View attachment 2540741
Just did all of this. It's a lot of parts cleaning but the result is worth it.

Two reasons in this photo.

A. I let air out of the front tires to help drain as much coolant as possible. The drain plug on the radiator is on the drivers side so airing down gets the drain plug even lower. If you look closely the other tire was also aired down for the same reason, just not as much as the drivers. I do this because I am too lazy to try and get the coolant drain plug out of the block and the resulting angle of the truck helps more coolant drain from the block (theoretically). I also do a drain and fill once a year to make up for the coolant that doesn't get drained because of my laziness. I am able to drain 2.5 gallons using this method.

B. My crap stool always slides out from under my feet when I am trying to reach into the engine bay and work on stuff. This usually causes me to hyper extend my knee and smash it into either the front bumper or tire. The next step is usually a bunch of extremely loud cussing :doh::crybaby::bang::bang::bang: that the neighbors do not appreciate (especially in utah).

To help prevent this issue I normally let the air out of both front tires. This will drastically reduce the height of the engine bay and usually prevents the smashed knee and subsequent cussing. This is a classic mechanics trick for working on lifted or tall vehicles.
My first car was a 1961 Ford Fairlaine with the straight 6 engine. I was a skinny teenage and could stand on either side of the engine within the engine bay and work on it all day long. Cars were a lot simpler to work on then and there was a lot more room in the engine bay! I stand on a simple footstool to work on my 80 series. It is good enough even with the 4 inch lift and it doesn't slip.

LoL.
I did not see this one coming.
Something tells me this is a restart.
I can think of a way to get this spring back on the seal....I’ll take the other side off again and push it through the axle tube....ha!

it came out with the little paper towel I had in there.
Next time I think I’ll dab it with sticky grease before I install.

8421D3E6-7B67-4184-BF28-BFC8AB59CA60.jpeg

Sold the Ol girl...on it's way up to Chi Town now with new owner. Sad to see it go but it was time. Will miss all of you in the 80 series section...thanks for all the help along the way. Pic of the 80 from my last trip with it up at Kings Canyon.
Screenshot_20210101-165227_Chrome.jpg

Sold the Ol girl...on it's way up to Chi Town now with new owner. Sad to see it go but it was time. Will miss all of you in the 80 series section...thanks for all the help along the way. Pic of the 80 from my last trip with it up at Kings Canyon. View attachment 2541631

Bummer man. Did you get a 200? That section of mud sucks. Bunch of dudes talking about roof racks and 285’s.

Bummer man. Did you get a 200? That section of mud sucks. Bunch of dudes talking about roof racks and 285’s.
Haha...I'll be in that section soon enough :flush:

Cup holders still suck. :rofl:
And no matter what you do to a 200, it’s not nearly as photogenic as an 80. Driving a 200 now and then and every time I complain that’s it not an 80. 80’s ROCK!!!

And no matter what you do to a 200, it’s not nearly as photogenic as an 80. Driving a 200 now and then and every time I complain that’s it not an 80. 80’s ROCK!!!
Idk, I mean yes I'm biased and love the look of my 80 but honestly I think stock 80's aren't really that awesome looking. Think about it. A stock 80, aesthetically, is just a big bubble shaped SUV. A 200 isn't so very different in that regard. I think once modified both look better.

Last edited:
Idk, I mean yes I'm biased and love the look of my 80 but honestly I think stock 80's aren't really that awesome looking. Think about it. A stock 80, aesthetically, is just a big bubble shaped SUV. A 200 isn't so very different in that regard. I think once modified both look better.
Personal taste, but disagree completely. The lines on the 80 are much more classic. The 200 is enormous, bulbous and modern...totally different animals. That said, I still do really like the look of a built 200 - particularly 2016+.

think it's more how the brain works and how we perceive beauty. The 80s line, as modern as it was, had the right lines for what my brain thinks of as a 4x4 SUV look, The 200 series modified is as impressive as the many modfieid 4runners and tacomas we see in the IG. I appreciate them but haven't acquired the taste for that modern 4x4 look. A few more years, when 80s become extinct, then my mind will change

Bubble-shaped "SUVs" have been around for 60 years. My dad had a 1960 Dodge Town Wagon Power Wagon. I literally grew up in that truck and learned to drive in it. It may just be me but the lines of these look very 80-like in my eyes.
tw-emblem.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom