What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joke about improperly installed items all you want.

I have seen two accidents in an aircraft where the occupants would have survived. One had the top of his skull peeled of by a fire extinguisher and the other had a broken neck because of a first aid kit.

All because they were improperly installed🙁

Pretty sad.....,

This is a video on how all three diff locks work, they are very, very similar to Mercedes G Wagon, I found it helpful as a newbie:

Zona

Joke about improperly installed items all you want.

I have seen two accidents in an aircraft where the occupants would have survived. One had the top of his skull peeled of by a fire extinguisher and the other had a broken neck because of a first aid kit.

All because they were improperly installed🙁

Pretty sad.....,

Any suggestion on a g-rated mount for a standard 5# fire extinguisher?

Any suggestion on a g-rated mount for a standard 5# fire extinguisher?

Amerex has a good quality double strap mount. They are listed on some of the drawings I have worked with.

As I previously stated extinguishers should be mounted low where when you are in the drivers seat or pass seat you can reach.

For me it will be a 2.5 lb mounted to each seat on the floor or seat mounts. This way you have 2 and each front occupant has access to one OR the other.

I’m sorry if I seemed like a dick in that post but I have seen many extinguishers mounted in places where you as the driver or passenger do not have access or improperly installed.

The original post did not say it was mounted to the seat belt anchor point. A very important detail to omit. And yes it escalated quickly but de-escalated just as fast.

Every second counts when you are fighting a fire, having to exit the vehicle and get a furthest rear mounted extinguisher, assuming you can open the hatch, could be life or death in difference:(

Last edited:
Amerex has a good quality double strap mount. They are listed on some of the drawings I have worked with.

As I previously stated extinguishers should be mounted low where when you are in the drivers seat or pass seat you can reach.

For me it will be a 2.5 lb mounted to each seat on the floor or seat mounts. This way you have 2 and each front occupant has access to one OR the other.

I’m sorry if I seemed like a dick in that post but I have seen many extinguishers mounted in places where you as the driver or passenger do not have access or improperly installed.

The original post did not say it was mounted to the seat belt anchor point. A very important detail to omit. And yes it escalated quickly but de-escalated just as fast.

Every second counts when you are fighting a fire, having to exit the vehicle and get a furthest rear mounted extinguisher, assuming you can open the hatch, could be life or death in difference:(

Just ordered this one.
Amazon product ASIN B00F5CKIN2

I finally got around to doing a knuckle rebuild with the kit from Cruiser Outfitters last weekend. I replaced the steering stabilizer, wheel bearings, and TRE while I had it up on stands and torn apart. I also had the rotors resurfaced (after chasing around to THREE shops who said they could do it, but only the last one actually COULD), upgraded to 100 series pads, changed out the brake fluid, and went to a shop for an alignment. This weekend I'll change fluids in the diffs, T-case, and transmission.

A messy job to be sure, but it wasn't as tough as I'd feared. Nice to get some things done that have been in the back of my mind for a while.

I finally got around to doing a knuckle rebuild with the kit from Cruiser Outfitters last weekend. I replaced the steering stabilizer, wheel bearings, and TRE while I had it up on stands and torn apart. I also had the rotors resurfaced (after chasing around to THREE shops who said they could do it, but only the last one actually COULD), upgraded to 100 series pads, changed out the brake fluid, and went to a shop for an alignment. This weekend I'll change fluids in the diffs, T-case, and transmission.

A messy job to be sure, but it wasn't as tough as I'd feared. Nice to get some things done that have been in the back of my mind for a while.

Location in the Bay Area; always interested to see where the Cruiser guys hang out ?

Nice group of cruisers!

IMG_7757.JPG

Deleted the old tow harness and gained about 6” clearance on the ass end! One less thud on the trail, yippee. Tested it out with a nice dump run. Windows down and toons really lifted
my spirits even though it was just a short trip up 70.

The 80 with a utility trailer is working out nicely in place of the old truck. Impressed how well she pulled and handled a solid load, though not surprised. Just add it to the long list of jobs the best SUV ever can do. The John Deere hitch was 50 bucks I think, FYI. Bolts right up to existing holes. View attachment 2298131View attachment 2298136View attachment 2298137View attachment 2298139
oh ya, made the dog’s day too
I like that hitch...do you have a link? Make sure you are using the proper rated bolts ;)

Finally getting some time to work on this thing.. Emotional 🎢
1FCFFD71-B70A-4BC7-8EA9-56E34A8DF80C.jpeg
98D7DFAF-6C8C-4348-AE3F-5303C90B69C6.jpeg
E64B38A8-E334-4162-818D-40348F67CA18.jpeg

600 mile swing through the Florida Panhandle and south Alabama to transport a load of snakes for a research project. Normally I'd be doing this in my FJ60 but needed AC to keep the snakes comfortable. Spent a night of isolation in Apalachicola National Forest as part of the trip. The 80 doesn't see much of this type of use.

IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4320.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG

600 mile swing through the Florida Panhandle and south Alabama to transport a load of snakes for a research project. Normally I'd be doing this in my FJ60 but needed AC to keep the snakes comfortable. Spent a night of isolation in Apalachicola National Forest as part of the trip. The 80 doesn't see much of this type of use.

There is so much nope in that last photo. Is that a moccasin? Wouldn't it be advisable to hold it just behind the head? Clearly, I'm not a herpetologist...

There is so much nope in that last photo. Is that a moccasin? Wouldn't it be advisable to hold it just behind the head? Clearly, I'm not a herpetologist...

That's an eastern indigo snake, non-venomous and a federally threatened species.

That's an eastern indigo snake, non-venomous and a federally threatened species.
That makes me feel better now...

The-More-You-Know.jpg

Changed oil and transfer case fluid. I used my last big oil filter. Now it's on to the yzzdddxxxx...I think that's the one.

I also put on new belt moulding on both front doors.
I have the weather stripping for the fronts too. Do I have to take the door panel off to remove that?

20200509_101544.jpg

20200509_101526.jpg

Last edited:
Hate to break it to ya, but the D pillar your metal pieces are bolted to is plastic. But whatever, it’s you or one of your family members who is going to get killed by the extinguisher.
And if your so smart, why did you put it way back there? If your pinned and there is a fire it ain’t no use to you back there!
Just trying to help, and really what you did there had zero thought put into it!

Edit, just noticed you used the seatbelt attach! That’s plenty strong, 👍

But you never mentioned in your original post you used the seatbelt attach point. Details details.....
Plastic D pillar??? I have the same size extinguisher mounted in the same place but with large Quickfists that are attached to my very much steel D pillar with the provided self tapping screws.

Replacing OEM with OME stock height springs. Noticed the OME fronts are about inch and a half shorter than the OEMs. Should I be worried about the ride height being lower? Thanks. I’ll find out soon enough I guess 🙂

D52FED14-7D29-4AE0-B277-2B3C79D8F8E4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom