What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (67 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A video for good measure

Nice! What was your preferred cleaner of choice?

Initially I used brake cleaner on a brush. It did an okay job, but it was quite crusty. So I resorted to a dental scalpel which could get under the carbon without scratching anything. Then I followed with scotchbrite saturated in brake cleaner. This pretty much got everything. But I was still not happy so I used a water based wheel and tire cleaner which got it to the final point you see in the pics. A very thorough rinsing in hot running water and then dried on the baseboard heater. The IAC motor had a build-up that you could see on the seat that was only allowing about a 60% contact.

Installed some airlift 1000 helper bags. Ran the air line along the top side of the frame and drilled a hole on the side of the frame in between the 2 existing for the OEM bumper.

As I was pulling the front axle off the 60 I had the front tires off and said what the hey.

View attachment 2213692

View attachment 2213693

View attachment 2213697

View attachment 2213698

View attachment 2213699
Did you remove the bump stops from inside the springs per instructions? Looks like they're still in there from the pics.

Supposed to always run at least 5 PSI in the bags. Keeps them in place.

Did you remove the bump stops from inside the springs per instructions? Looks like they're still in there from the pics.

Supposed to always run at least 5 PSI in the bags. Keeps them in place.

Yes, that was an oops on my end initially. I pulled it out after my testing on one side and re-read the instructions.

Well, we were packed and ready to go on a one day camping trip and saw that there was coolant leaking.... Guess which hose it was?! Luckily I had bought all the parts to do the PHH a week ago and that I caught the leak before leaving (couldn't find the right clamps, how bad are these really?) So we did the PHH and I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the heater valve. Having the wife's little hands was a game changer for this tedious job. Then we took off on the trip to crossbar ranch in Oklahoma. No issues and the rig did amazing. This was our first off-road trip and I couldn't have been more impressed. Hoping to get a Slee rear bumper and the torros off-road skylux soon. We also installed the ARB bumper, smittybilt 10k winch and the dobinsons 3 inch lift kit last week.
7215645D-5D3E-41BC-91C5-3C93517DC45A.jpeg
E48D2F67-28B7-426D-BD23-CF1E5E8E5366.jpeg
3A6B97CD-477A-4288-9CDA-7BC555C04C54.jpeg
6588A581-9ACE-47EB-A00B-03C6D572929E.jpeg

Last edited:
gotta love that Gates Green stripe. Did you route the PHH from the block nipple to the steel firewall pipe or route around the brake booster.

gotta love that Gates Green stripe. Did you route the PHH from the block nipple to the steel firewall pipe or route around the brake booster.
I ditched the metal pipe and just went all the way up to the water valve. Figured I'd much rather be stuck replacing one hose (carrying 4ft of green stripe with me at all times) than going through that nightmare again with the metal pipe.

60B7429C-AFB8-4F5F-A21B-E1A2FFBAF64E.jpeg

I ditched the metal pipe and just went all the way up to the water valve. Figured I'd much rather be stuck replacing one hose (carrying 4ft of green stripe with me at all times) than going through that nightmare again with the metal pipe.

View attachment 2214025
yup, I did something similar. I went around the brake booster. I figured if it fails again, I have plenty of slack to pull, cut (damage off) and replace onto nipple. The original design doesnt make any sense to me. the short hose is sandwiched between a rigid nipple and steel tube. Not much hose to expand prior to failure.

yup, I did something similar. I went around the brake booster. I figured if it fails again, I have plenty of slack to pull, cut (damage off) and replace onto nipple. The original design doesnt make any sense to me. the short hose is sandwiched between a rigid nipple and steel tube. Not much hose to expand prior to failure.
That definitely would have been better if I did that 🤦🏼‍♂️ but checking it after this trip all is good with no melting. When I replace it again I'll be doing that.

Went here,
saw this,
found this.

Oh yeah, fixed a seized T/Case selector lever, installed a new stereo, replaced blown out speakers, replaced the SRS ECM and sundry other neglected niggling little odds and ends.

Mark...

20200216_123932.jpg

20200216_130513.jpg

20200216_125946.jpg

Took the crew up for a little snow fun, had a great time! Played on the tube hill. Oh... yeah... pulled this Audi out... we were about 3 miles up a road that is usually closed during winter.... the 35's and locker made it easy...

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

Installed some airlift 1000 helper bags. Ran the air line along the top side of the frame and drilled a hole on the side of the frame in between the 2 existing for the OEM bumper.

As I was pulling the front axle off the 60 I had the front tires off and said what the hey.

View attachment 2213692

View attachment 2213693

View attachment 2213697

View attachment 2213698

View attachment 2213699

Just wrote a post the other day about the coilsprung airbags... but you'll need to remove your bump stop. Coil airbags work by pressing outwards against the spring, not vertically like a leaf spring bag. The way you have it now will make it ride unbearable, and will most likely just blow the bags out as they have no where to go. Notice that the plastic is a totally different construction than a leaf spring bag as well?

Even with a lifted vehicle, you'll still want the stock sized bag. You do not want it to be compressed vertically between the axle and frame as you have it now.

Straight from the source:

Well, we were packed and ready to go on a one day camping trip and saw that there was coolant leaking.... Guess which hose it was?! Luckily I had bought all the parts to do the PHH a week ago and that I caught the leak before leaving (couldn't find the right clamps, how bad are these really?) So we did the PHH and I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the heater valve. Having the wife's little hands was a game changer for this tedious job. Then we took off on the trip to crossbar ranch in Oklahoma. No issues and the rig did amazing. This was our first off-road trip and I couldn't have been more impressed. Hoping to get a Slee rear bumper and the torros off-road skylux soon. We also installed the ARB bumper, smittybilt 10k winch and the dobinsons 3 inch lift kit installed last week. View attachment 2213926View attachment 2213927View attachment 2213930 View attachment 2213920
Great looking rig. You might look at the Prinsu Roof Rack to house the RTT you want, check out the iKamper too.

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom