What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (75 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went out to Antelope Valley to catch the last of the Super Bloom Poppies.
DzuHqRc.jpg
EFiCpGF.jpg

2wdDr8Z.jpg

Need some ideas, I picked up some stock wheels off a guy for a good deal but the insides are caked with old axle grease. I've soaked them in degreaser and hit them with a stiff brush/pressure washer and it's just not coming off. HELP!

How about a little parts washer fluid, or diesel fuel or a little gasoline? Brake parts cleaner will eat the finish (clear coat) off the surface, while the gas, diesel, or parts washer fluid will not.

Actually can try PB Blaster oil, and/or WD 40 as a solvent, then can wash with soap and water.

I actually used WD40 to remove some heavy gasket adheseive from a pair of jeans by soaking the jeans with WD40, then washed the jeans 3 times in the wash machine with a lot of soap.

If you decide to part it out, ill take the YETI(bike).

HAHA I think I’d sell my first gen 4runner before the bike I love it so much

SB6 or 5? I love mine!!

‘18 SB5 turq I just built up from the frame about a month and a half ago. My old sb66 was on its last legs for quite awhile. I thought I’d miss the 150mm rear travel but this thing at 127 feels the same but pedals better. So good.

58987AFA-38D4-4808-AC4A-A085A3183467.jpeg

‘18 SB5 turq I just built up from the frame about a month and a half ago. My old sb66 was on its last legs for quite awhile. I thought I’d miss the 150mm rear travel but this thing at 127 feels the same but pedals better. So good.

View attachment 1936381
Nice..I still have my SB95 w/ 160mm Avalanche front damper, 127mm rear on 66.5 degree HTA. It holds its own with other newer bikes.
KKOoRPt.jpg

Nice..I still have my SB95 w/ 160mm Avalanche front damper, 127mm rear on 66.5 degree HTA. It holds its own with other newer bikes.

@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr , Waved at you on the main drag last monday on my way outta town, truck was looking great!

Yall's bikes look so much better than the new 130/150 frames, yeti ruined the gorgeous lines to hold a water bottle. :rolleyes:

Wanted to upgrade to disc brakes on my 91 FJ80. So I bought a 1997 LX450 rear axle on e-bay. $500 shipped to AZ as a bonus it has a factory e locker and of course its full float. The axle was located in Massachusetts so I knew I was taking a chance as far as rust was concerned. I guess I'm spoiled living in Arizona because it arrived this past weekend and whoa! The rust is so bad the axle housing is flaking chunks. I planned on buying new rotors, calipers, pads and clips. So the rust on those is a non issue. I also plan to delete the ABS components as they are not needed on my 91. I just don't trust the housing and brackets. Anyone have or know where I can purchase a stripped axle housing? Also, can I use my current 91 housing? I would rather keep it whole but it could be option if I cant find a donor housing. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 1932881View attachment 1932882View attachment 1932883View attachment 1932884View attachment 1932885
Update: Seller refunded the full amount. Now I have a heavy lawn ornament. LOL!

Update: Seller refunded the full amount. Now I have a heavy lawn ornament. LOL!

Now you have a locking differential to either use to install in the "new" axle or sell or trade for what you need!

Check with @slow95z for a rear axle for what you want to do. He'll have a rust-free one.

@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr , Waved at you on the main drag last monday on my way outta town, truck was looking great!

Yall's bikes look so much better than the new 130/150 frames, yeti ruined the gorgeous lines to hold a water bottle. :rolleyes:

Likewise! Super jealous of your bumpers. Looks so clean.

And yeah the awkward square shape protruding from the bottom bracket looks gross on the new ones although I wouldn’t mind a water bottle for racing. Beauty > function 😂

Now you have a locking differential to either use to install in the "new" axle or sell or trade for what you need!

Check with @slow95z for a rear axle for what you want to do. He'll have a rust-free one.
Hooked it up to 12v power supply, the locker actuator wont budge and the gear housing was cracked and full of water hopefully the internals are in good shape. Thanks for the referral.

Fabbed this.

Works with OEM winch for the time being with room to mod for a Warn if required. No the fairlead isn't attached in the middle pic. Few more odds and ends to tidy up yet. I spent quite a while lurking in the vendor forums before I settled on the basic design I was after.

Heavily inspired by the work of Rich Costa, owner of Costa Fabrications. Hopefully the old adage of imitation as the highest form of flattery will ring true. If you like this but want one that'll fit better, look better and has way more features check out his stuff.

Well, I finally got off my ass and did the rear shelf DIY. I did the hose clamp method but will be upgrading to the @Delta VS brackets. Installing the rear shelf by yourself was a pain but I eventually got smart and supported it with a 2x4 while I attached the hose clamps.

From the above pictures, you can see my spare is in the main compartment now. When I was at Discount Tire last time to get the tires rotated I asked them to try and remove the spare but they were unable to. So I also got around to removing the rear spare tire by unbolting the cross member and the brackets from the frame.

Most importantly the wife and I went to Prescott to see some dogs and learn about the Belgian Malinois which will be our next dog. Mainly as a service animal for me. While up there we stopped at Barn Star Brewing in Skull Valley. It is run by a husband and wife on their small farm. It is only open during the weekend as they brew the beer during the week. Beers run about 5 for a small mason jar and are definitely worth it.

We also took our little guy and he met some ponies/little horses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom