Yellow Box V5 Plug and Play Install With Pics

• Thread starter mjeckell
  • Start date
  • Watchers 24
mjeckell

mjeckell

I thought that I would share with all you on how I routed my plug and play yellow box speedometer correction. I removed the center console by removing the three bolts and two screws at the gear selector console towards the back. This allowed the entire console to be free. I then drilled two holes. One in the plastic bottom of the console and the other through the parking brake plate and floorboard. I then plugged in the harness to the speed control sensor and removed the 4 pins from the connector to be able to fit the wiring through the two holes. From this point what took some time is to seal up the hole waiting for the sealant to dry. Put it all back together and install complete.
AD289859 52E7 4FEF 8A97 C660C2FDBFAB
D041EEAA 0C88 4CF4 8B40 7FA3EF9513C8
0721A603 2EE7 4EE2 9DBC 9072905474A6
FC136546 3C0C 4BBD B354 C154DC9C8A8D
CFF197CD 0A49 4527 BB4B EC40BEA68B5B

Last edited:
alia176

alia176

SILVER Star
Thank you very much. Would you mind moving the paragraph to sit at the top of the pics instead of at the end? Thanks bud!

PabloVTA

PabloVTA

beside La Caja China
SILVER Star
how has it held up to the mud and moisture?
Does it really need to be kept in the cab?
I have one to install now, thanks for the pics, helped alot.

can you post a pic of how you sealed that hole? was a grommet used?

cjmoon

cjmoon

I had mine like that for 3 years no issues. It to clean it it I hard wired it under the dash mixture to the computer. It was designed for motorcycles and is fully sealed so you should be able to leave it all under the cruiser just fine just harder to fine tune. I set mine by just driving down the highway with the gps and holding the adjust button

mjeckell

mjeckell

I siliconed the hole I made. I have not had any issues at all

BlueCruiser84

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
What's this thing do? I've seen people allude to it before...

***edit** I googled it. So it is for speedo recalibration. Does it affect shift points?

PabloVTA

PabloVTA

beside La Caja China
SILVER Star
I popped mine on this weekend. It took me longer to futz with the connector than it did for the rest of the job.
It's spot on now. 65 reads 65, i only zip tied it to the frame rail outside just under the DS passenger door.
Will drill the hole like these pics show later.

mjosoba

mjosoba

What's this thing do? I've seen people allude to it before...

***edit** I googled it. So it is for speedo recalibration. Does it affect shift points?

The yellow box itself doesn’t affect shift points. But the trans shifts according to the speed reading. So if it’s getting an incorrect reading (bigger tires with no correction) it won’t shift like it’s programemd to. I probably worded that badly, but basically the yellow box will make it shift like stock.

landcrshr

landcrshr

...but basically the yellow box will make it shift like stock.
Actually, the transmission relies on its own dedicated speed sensor, different from the one for the speedometer. The yellow box should NOT affect shift points, but I cannot confirm this.

mjosoba

mjosoba

Actually, the transmission relies on its own dedicated speed sensor, different from the one for the speedometer. The yellow box should NOT affect shift points, but I cannot confirm this.

Well, I’d imagine you’re right. I was going off of threads saying correcting your Speedo would get the trans shift points back to normal. Do you know if it’s the same for A442 and A343?

Tommysosa

Tommysosa

SILVER Star
I know I'm reviving an old thread here but I am looking into doing this as well. I am hoping to get the new wits end turbo kit and go up a size in my tires (will be running 35's). I have been looking into the yellobox and just wanted to ensure I am getting the right part. I see you got the v5 plug and play. Is this website below the correct site you got yours from? Your write up is great and I plan on using it for my install.

Tommysosa

Tommysosa

SILVER Star
Thank you. Can’t wait to get my tundra sold so I can start getting down to work on my never ending build.

80t0ylc

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star
I know I'm reviving an old thread here but I am looking into doing this as well. I am hoping to get the new wits end turbo kit and go up a size in my tires (will be running 35's). I have been looking into the yellobox and just wanted to ensure I am getting the right part. I see you got the v5 plug and play. Is this website below the correct site you got yours from? Your write up is great and I plan on using it for my install.
Be prepared for approx. a 2 week wait. Their "delivery times" are sometimes affected by U.S. Customs. They are very good at responding to emails and very courteous. Different time zone, Australia. IMHO, best product to correct 80 series speedometers with their "with Custom Plug-n-play wiring harness ".

Last edited:
Tommysosa

Tommysosa

SILVER Star
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I can definitely wait after hearing all the good things about it and I’ve already heard from the company so I expect them to be up front and open about everything. I’m already excited and recommending them to others. Hopefully I don’t shoot myself in the foot...