What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (92 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As for the weekend we went up to Mexico beach Florida to give gas, food, and water to the remaining occupants. The craziest thing ever was that I actually gave gas to a volunteer fire department who ran out. As expected cruiser number 7 performed stoically.

For anyone in Florida, southern Alabama, or southern Georgia I would highly recommend making a day trip to bring some aid to these people.

A99DDB94-5F67-4B6A-A5B1-13C3C8772285.jpeg
AD36F879-FE07-4067-A272-2EEBF9D9FDB9.jpeg
DF861E7A-9519-47DE-9CF0-07F6E39C4490.jpeg
CE42FECF-18EF-4209-832A-E4525D8366A5.jpeg

I feel a need to give and help others impacted by this storm, but I have doubts that dollars given to most charities reach those impacted. Are there any toyota groups organizing efforts to help those impacted? I want to give $$$ to help.

Edit: Money sent. God bless, and good speed.

Last edited:
I feel a need to give and help others impacted by this storm, but I have doubts that dollars given to most charities reach those impacted. Are there any toyota groups organizing efforts to help those impacted? I want to give $$$ to help.
Thank you Kelly!

I’ve seen hurricane damage before, fire damage, flood damage. But I have never seen anything like this. I am planning to go back up very soon. Anyone in the Florida area that is interested in going along with me, it would be great to have a cruiser caravan of help for these folks.

I will start a separate thread for this, but as of now I am going to put together a group ride to N. Florida. Mostly Land Cruisers bringing aid, but everyone is welcome to join. I already have another great mud member joining The ride. Thanks @Mdej3 if you are interested in joining please PM me. I will link to a new thread here later this evening.

Took ole' Island Riot out to uwharrie. The Jeep in the front lost all breaks at the top of Daniel and took a free ride all the way down into a tree, really lucky he didn’t mess himself up, he was obviously shook up. The Jeep in the back blew up trying to pull the Jeep in the front off the trail. ISLAND RIOT TO THE RESCUE!!!!! I towed both rigs from the bottom of Daniel to the parking lot.....BEAST MODE...was insanely impressed with the power of the rig to be able to pull two anchors over and through the various obstacles.

-4.jpg

-5.jpg

I will start a separate thread for this, but as of now I am going to put together a group ride to N. Florida. Mostly Land Cruisers bringing aid, but everyone is welcome to join. I already have another great mud member joining The ride. Thanks @Mdej3 if you are interested in joining please PM me. I will link to a new thread here later this evening.

You know you can count on me!

Opened the Delta penhard bracket and read the instruction. Need 27mm socket and torque wrench that can torque the bolts to 187ftlb! Dang it, guess I’ll be visiting autozone this weekend.

03F2AE67-76D7-4AA7-BD96-CA3BBDD869D2.jpeg

Last edited:
I was tired of the old black rubber intake tube (which was rotten and falling apart) so my son made this one for me. It is 16 ga. steel elbows that he cut and welded to make the correct angle. I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. First picture is bare metal and the other two are after we painted it with high temp exhaust paint.

n6kigUh.jpg

LpgldI5.jpg

AnGjzrb.jpg

Took ole' Island Riot out to uwharrie. The Jeep in the front lost all breaks at the top of Daniel and took a free ride all the way down into a tree, really lucky he didn’t mess himself up, he was obviously shook up. The Jeep in the back blew up trying to pull the Jeep in the front off the trail. ISLAND RIOT TO THE RESCUE!!!!! I towed both rigs from the bottom of Daniel to the parking lot.....BEAST MODE...was insanely impressed with the power of the rig to be able to pull two anchors over and through the various obstacles.

Wow, most everyone I've mentioned this to agrees it's a great story - well, the final rescue anyway
Good to know no one was (physically) hurt -
Thumbs up!

Not a weekend activity, but a lovely cloudy weekday in the desert activity. On Tuesday, did some trail assessments with TRAL with a pack of 80s in the closed St Claire area near Bartlett Lake, AZ in the Tonto National Forest. A killer view of the Superstition Mountains and Weavers Needle in the first shot. The Bart - St Claire area has been closed since a fire in 2005. Many of the trails were difficult to see, but overall in very good shape considering the amount of time with no traffic and potential for washouts. Looking forward to the day when the Forest Service re-opens this area kinda...
IMG_3951-1.jpg
IMG_3952.jpg
IMG_3953.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg

Not a weekend activity, but a lovely cloudy weekday in the desert activity. ...

Yep, first checked on a staging area we are working on, the dirt work being done by a contractor.
10-16-2018_1.JPG

10-16-2018_2.JPG

Crashing through the brush, sometimes had to zoom in on the GIS data/map to follow the routes, couldn't see them on the ground.
10-16-2018_3.JPG

10-16-2018_4.JPG

Was looking at the underside of a GX/4Runner/Prado/150 tonight. Wow the fuel tank, muffler, shock mount, spare......everything is hanging soooo low! Oh and the rear axle is rather small compared to the 80 even though they weight almost the same....well the GX at least. It’s a fantastic car and mild wheeler but I wouldn’t have anywhere near the confidence compared to the 80. Still couple of steps above a Subaru but only a couple of steps.

This only reaffirms my love for my 80, she is simply ilreplacable!!!

Edit: had a little more quiet time and decided to rearrange my cargo area and move the location of the fridge. Second battery tie down sorted out so Second battery system project should restart again...hopefully. Which will also get my lazy a$$ to finish the rear quarter panel mount. Then maybe I’ll tackle the panhard lift bracket.....I need to reclaim my garage space where all these different projects are laying all over the floor, eventually.

Last edited:
Was looking at the underside of a GX/4Runner/Prado/150 tonight. Wow the fuel tank, muffler, shock mount, spare......everything is hanging soooo low! Oh and the rear axle is rather small compared to the 80 even though they weight almost the same....well the GX at least. It’s a fantastic car and mild wheeler but I wouldn’t have anywhere near the confidence compared to the 80. Still couple of steps above a Subaru but only a couple of steps.

This only reaffirms my love for my 80, she is simply ilreplacable!!!

Q, have you checked out the 200 to compare? An LC is an LC is an LC.

Q, have you checked out the 200 to compare? An LC is an LC is an LC.

This ▲ the 200 series is the only LC that nothing hangs below the frame. The 200 series driveline will replace my 80 series rear driveline soon as the slip yoke is over 2.5" in diameter. These are beefy vehicle for being considered mall crawlers.

Last edited:
Have a few things to dial in before the holidays now that i got the cooling system sorted and out of the way... install HD extended LCAs, install creeper skid plates, cut hood and install hood louvers, cut and remove rear cross memeber, hitch/tire carrier and prep for rear bumper/tire carrier..the list goes on and on

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom