What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let's see. Sitting in the parking lot of a used car broker waiting for AAA in VABCH .
Some kind of issue with 32/36 weber.
Its getting fuel but wont stay running for more than 3 sec.

let it cool, take the air cleaner off, start it and choke it out with a piece of cardboard...do this a few times, also check for obviously huge vacuum leaks near base of card at the adapter...weber makes a great BBQ...

Headed to Logans Run. URE
IMG_7306.JPG

Winner. Winner chicken dinner. Love the 60.

Not this weekend, but at least within the last week or two:

Set the valves and installed new valve cover grommets. It's been a while I and found a couple of the exhaust valves were ever so slightly tight.
IMG_7228.JPG

Did plugs with valves (much easier to turn the engine over by pulling belts with the plugs out anyway :hillbilly:. They looked pretty decent for the miles on them.
IMG_7229.JPG

And got to hang out and BBQ with some fellow Seattle area Cruiserheads at the fall Golden Gardens gathering.

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

5 60-series trucks in attendance, each with a different drivetrain: 2F, 3FE, GM 5.3 and 4BT and R2.8 Cummins.
IMG_7435.JPG

Set the valves and installed new valve cover grommets. It's been a while I and found a couple of the exhaust valves were ever so slightly tight.
View attachment 1538457
Did plugs with valves (much easier to turn the engine over by pulling belts with the plugs out anyway :hillbilly:. They looked pretty decent for the miles on them.
View attachment 1538459

And got to hang out and BBQ with some fellow Seattle area Cruiserheads at the fall Golden Gardens gathering.

View attachment 1538474

View attachment 1538462

5 60-series trucks in attendance, each with a different drivetrain: 2F, 3FE, GM 5.3 and 4BT and R2.8 Cummins.
View attachment 1538465

Did you get a good look at or drive of the cummins powered 60?

Did you get a good look at or drive of the cummins powered 60?
Yes got a good look at both of them. I'll assume you're referring to the new R2.8 done by @torfab. It's sweet. Super clean install. I was so excited to see it arrive I had to accost Tor in the parking lot and hop into the passengers seat while he was still looking for a parking spot :grinpimp:.
There's more info here: Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread

Yes got a good look at both of them. I'll assume you're referring to the new R2.8 done by @torfab. It's sweet. Super clean install. I was so excited to see it arrive I had to accost Tor in the parking lot and hop into the passengers seat while he was still looking for a parking spot :grinpimp:.
There's more info here: Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread
Yes, I presumed it was the @torfab one. I and many others are looking forward to getting some 2nd and 3rd opinions from 60 owners on how that engine stacks up. If you have a 5.3 powered one at the meet also seems to me like you could be doing all kinds of test driving and comparison shopping for those of us that can't...:D

A modern 4 cylinder turbo diesel with a 5 speed vs. a V8 with an auto, they're each great in their own ways but it's really apples to ham sandwiches.

My own personal observations/opinion from very limited time in the rigs:

The V8 was quiet, smooth, and simply effortless in acceleration. I cannot overstate that last part. Strange feeling for a 3FE driver. Call me a weirdo, but dare I say a wonderfully wrong experience?

The R2.8 let you know you were in a diesel, but not in a way that would wear you out after some time (like the 4BT would). Definately more than adequate acceleration, but not the same instant throttle response you get with a V8. It seems to me to be a better fit to the character of the 60 series. I also think this engine would be even better in front of a modern 6 speed auto.

Good morning tinkering on the 62 . . . .

ARB twin cylinder compressor rescued from my old LC installed under the passenger seat and wired to the Defrost Switch. Looks nice and factory. Ordered a few more of those switches and some labels.

LED dome lights and reverse lights.

New struts on the rear hatch.

I'll have my tools and garage back in November . . . . . . .

Finally got her in some dirt! We had lots of fun exploring back roads in Plumas County this weekend.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Truck always looks better when it's dirty. :hillbilly:
IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

Cheers!
-Ed

A combination of the last few weekends.

The replacement motor leaked at the rear edge of the pan. That's where the gasket was twisted and not in contact with the pan. The bottom end looks new. Any pointers on getting that pan gasket on there proper would be appreciated.

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

The replacement motor leaked at the rear edge of the pan. That's where the gasket was twisted and not in contact with the pan. The bottom end looks new. Any pointers on getting that pan gasket on there proper would be appreciated.

View attachment 1538970

View attachment 1538971

View attachment 1538972
I see some cork gasket residue in the first photo, it's easy to overlook, especially in the corners. That all has to be thoroughly removed before replacing the pan gasket.

YeahI snapped those pics before cleaning the gasket surface. I scrubbed them nice and bright with alcohol and red Scotchbrite before putting things back together.

View attachment 1538457
View attachment 1538459

View attachment 1538474

View attachment 1538462

View attachment 1538465
Fun I live in Socal will have to attend one year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom