What did you do on your 70 series today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Time for the wheeling season meats.

Winter is pretty much done so the studded Toyo M-55’s come off and the Toyo MT’s on 80 series steelies go back on.

E6B1B6D0-03EA-40CF-9704-85C906DB85F6.jpeg
2D495D45-51FB-43A2-811A-619C86368644.jpeg

Time for the wheeling season meats.

Winter is pretty much done so the studded Toyo M-55’s come off and the Toyo MT’s on 80 series steelies go back on.

How do you like the Toyo MT's ? Would you buy them again? I think you've had KM2's, right? Any comparison? I'm considering these for the next tire.

How do you like the Toyo MT's ? Would you buy them again? I think you've had KM2's, right? Any comparison? I'm considering these for the next tire.

I’ve run Toyo’s since 2010 on my 80 and 70. My wife is running Toyo AT2’s on her 100 currently. We are a Toyo family. We love them. Japanese trucks, Japanese tires. :)

I had a set of KM2’s on my 60 and hated them.

Last edited:
I have the Toyo MT's on my FJ Cruiser. I'll never buy BFG again. The Toyo's are round and balance so much better than my BFG's. Also a bit quieter for a MT.

Finished making aluminum interior panels. The old ones from the original owner were a super thin wood and were all kinds of beat up. Converted everything to rivnuts.

I think I'll get them coated with bed liner or something eventually.

Finished up my C2 Design hood strut kit. @c2dfj45 has assembled a really tidy kit with a nice hood mount brackets that are custom fit to the 7x Series hood. We used to do hood strut kits on the 4x Series back in the day, due to the rather flimsy factory hood they required a reinforcement structure be made or purchased. However the 7x really lends itself well to a hood strut kit with a rather robust hood and nice mounting locations utilized by the C2 Design kit. Chris includes everything you need including the ball stud for the cowl side strut mount and the side specific brackets for the hood side.

The cowl side bolt removed to mount the ball stud utilizes a lock & fender washer. You could simply add this to the provided ball stud or get OCD like me and dig into my OE hardware and find a ball stud with washer(s). Chris also includes some high quality rivets to mount the hood brackets to the hood. I got a wild hair and opted to use nutzert and OE hardware.

IMG_5024.JPG

(Removed bolt, provided bolt w/added washers, OE options)

IMG_5056.JPG

(Nutzerts with OE 5mm hardware)

IMG_5055.JPG

(Another angle)

Thanks aging for putting together such a great kit @c2dfj45, I'm sure we'll be doing more of these!

And while I was under the hood with the strut kit and oil change, I put a new o-ring in my PS pump, it has been weeping as of recent. Also, I noticed a couple of missing piping screws. I don't know if they've been missing for rears or a recent happening? Easy enough fix but odd. It's been a year since I last spent any time tinkering with this Cruiser and it felt good to finally get some maintenance and cleanup done. I've been using this for some military training classes and it's been needing some TLC. I've got some weatherstripping to swap out and some squeaks to track down on the bumper and hardtop. Love this little guy :D

IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

Pulled bj70 into garage to swap mirrors. Clipped door frame. Tacoed pass door. Looks like a bus hit it. Started rust repairs at front fenders. Floor under pedals full of holes. Mice nesting in rocker. Discovered previous repair on wheel well interiors all crap also v nice welded patches on body exterior. Base of all pillars now attached to rocker ,stock mud flaps replaced ugly plastic extensions po screwed in place. Repaired rear door rust spot (hole)

Finished up my C2 Design hood strut kit. @c2dfj45 has assembled a really tidy kit with a nice hood mount brackets that are custom fit to the 7x Series hood. We used to do hood strut kits on the 4x Series back in the day, due to the rather flimsy factory hood they required a reinforcement structure be made or purchased. However the 7x really lends itself well to a hood strut kit with a rather robust hood and nice mounting locations utilized by the C2 Design kit. Chris includes everything you need including the ball stud for the cowl side strut mount and the side specific brackets for the hood side.

The cowl side bolt removed to mount the ball stud utilizes a lock & fender washer. You could simply add this to the provided ball stud or get OCD like me and dig into my OE hardware and find a ball stud with washer(s). Chris also includes some high quality rivets to mount the hood brackets to the hood. I got a wild hair and opted to use nutzert and OE hardware.

View attachment 1931453
(Removed bolt, provided bolt w/added washers, OE options)

View attachment 1931454
(Nutzerts with OE 5mm hardware)

View attachment 1931455
(Another angle)

Thanks aging for putting together such a great kit @c2dfj45, I'm sure we'll be doing more of these!
Nice install Kurt....love the mods. Might have to think about adding those into a "premium" level kit!

It's nice to open the hood without having to fiddle with a prop rod, right? I still find it hard to break the habit of reaching for the prop rod though....

Thanks for the write up!

Installed manual hub lockers ... found a direct bolt on kit.. no mods required.. comes with all hardware.. the only challenge was changing out the factory stretched acorn style nuts for regular profile nuts... 2nd one took 1/2 hour to install :) anyone want the old oem electric lockers pm me (1 side perfect other only needs brushes soldered on tabs)
rps20190319_045539.jpg
rps20190319_044642.jpg
rps20190319_045750.jpg

Put a 12V radio back in to get bluetooth action.
Unit's "memory" is powered by a mini 12V converter from Digikey.
It is about as big as your thumbnail.

I put a diode in the main power line that feeds from my 12V fuse box, located in left side footwell.
This stops the midget converter from sending power back to fuse box and keeping 12V gauges on while ignition is off.

Maybe someone can change the name of this tread as in what did you do to your cruiser in the past couple of weeks ;)

As most folks in the 70 series section never go to the hardcore section I figured I post a few pics of my HDJ73 here, there are a few other cool 70’s in the hardcore section so y’all might need to take a look once every while.

I changed this fugly hzj73
60C70617-D466-435E-8D3F-D97874B98C06.jpeg

In to this HDJ73
22BADC60-F9F3-42F5-8065-FB97A538C36F.jpeg

The build tread is here 73 series wheeler project

Put a 12V radio back in to get bluetooth action.
Unit's "memory" is powered by a mini 12V converter from Digikey.
It is about as big as your thumbnail.
View attachment 1931852

I put a diode in the main power line that feeds from my 12V fuse box, located in left side footwell.
This stops the midget converter from sending power back to fuse box and keeping 12V gauges on while ignition is off.
View attachment 1931855

Nice! What is the amp draw of the mini converter?

Hi Everyone, i am looking for fj70 side window rubbers as indicated on attached picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom