Value Question 1977 Fj40 30k original miles garge kept 1 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have to agree with the $20K consensus or less. It's a 77, no PS. It's no longer stock, (de-smogged, long seats, no roll bar). It's not in pristine condition (dented hub caps, bent bumperettes, etc.) If it were beautiful and perfect it still wouldn't be worth $50K. I have an super nice 81 with PS, A/C and all the smog gear with a verified 42,500 miles you can have for $36,500 - Show her that. www.lcnation.com - Best of luck

Can't really can't compare a restored cruiser to one that is original. While that 81 is nice it's been restored. Paint is a lot more glossy compared to stock and the spot welds on the rear corner panels are gone at least I couldn't see them. These were utility vehicles and think that gets lost a lot of times on restored vehicles. Would need to see before, during and after pictures before paying that much for a restored cruiser. They are only original once. Can't hide anything on a original rig. Should be easy to see what was done to put longer jump seats in. Emissions would need to see what is all there but could be a nightmare just because amount there is. Not the best years for Toyota as far as emissions. Would pay $32 for this original before paying $36,500 for a restored one, even with the dented hub caps and bend bumperettes. Both still available new from the dealer for under $200 for set of hub caps and two bumperettes. When your paying that much for a vehicle twenty minutes work and $200 seems petty even bringing up. Now if it was restored and those items hadn't been replaced it would make me wonder what else did they skimped on. To me the hubcaps and bumperettes showed the honesty of the vehicle. No effort is being made to hide anything.

I'm waiting to see as time goes on if the 40 series will continue to rise in price and become more refined as to what was stock. Watch Barrett Jackson and amazed at the some of details that are brought up about more common classics as what was original and what was not. Who knows if the spot welds being there will be important or not in the future.

About your "inside line." This same lady, or a surrogate of hers, has already listed the cruiser for sale online recently. Google search words "original 1977 fj40 montana" for photos.

View attachment 1398807

that's not a current pic. no snow!

It apparently is on other sites for 45K and has been on ebay Nov. 2016 for 45K and again Dec. 2016 for 35K with 0 bids on both of the listings.

I remember 1 listed on craigslist last fall, must be the same, originally listed at $45k or 49k. a few weeks later it was listed at maybe $39k or 35k? then it disappeared. IIRCC it was originally listed near Monida, almost in Idaho. Now it's near Bozeman/Belgrade area.

More passenger room.

This has seemed odd to me from the first post. Is the OP still in on this deal?

I picked up a 40 with the window sticker and the dealership paperwork. Guess I need to keep track of the whole booklet of OEM info the 80 year old owner gave me, I honestly had no idea window stickers and the original sales records even mattered.

There are instances when all that paperwork can add thousands of dollars to a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom