Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

first thing I am researching is how to adapt stock wiring harness... I will call PSI, to see what stand alone setup they have as well, but since I really should have everything, seems like I should see if I can find what my options are.....

lots of good wiring info here...

you bought a Gen 4 truck. Gen 3 and Gen 4 are pretty different. basically zero interchange in terms of management. That's why you can't just use a 6l80 behind a gen 3 engine super easily.

Is the other side of that cab and bed good? You should have no problem recouping a significant chunk of what you spent parting the rest the donor out. Typically a good Ly6 goes for about $1500-2K around here. They're sweet motors though. Drop a used LS3 take-out cam in it (probably $150 on ebay and 45 minute job to swap it) and get it tuned and it will be even better

other than a few small dents on the tailgate the body is very clean, it even came with the hood and front fenders.

Drop a used LS3 take-out cam in it (probably $150 on ebay and 45 minute job to swap it) and get it tuned and it will be even better

Yes, bought a gen 4 engine/tranny/computer/harness, etc with only 65k miles. Been sitting around for quite some time, but started right up.

Not a complete truck, but going to see how much I can sell the remaining parts for.... .

Completely different rabbit hole. The LM4 Gen 3 will have to go into another project.....

So, what does this take-out cam do? Is this to get rid of the variable valve stuff? Trying to research what the best thing on wiring to do is, and can't find many instructional information to adapt the harness. Sounds like I need to reprogram the computer to get rid of emissions and other stuff anyway.... any advice?

I have basically zero Gen 4 experience besides swapping hard parts, I've never actually messed with an E38. I didn't realize that was a VVT motor, maybe better to just leave it alone? Not sure.
Start reading, good luck!

Question for smart ones out there... not sure who would know... @Onur @cruisermatt @thatcabledude @Mace

Going to call advanced adapters today to swap to the 6l80/90 adapter and question popped in my mind. I have stepped up the power quite a bit with this 6.0

I can use the 19 spline split transfer case like what was originally in it or could swap to 100 series case. Is there a better one? Is the dimension of the offset to the driveshafts similar?

Thoughts?

I'd stay split case, it's already part-time, has more aftermarket gearing options, easier to rebuild. The offsets are slightly different but not a huge deal.
Don't accuse me of being smart though

IMHO, go Split tcase, they hold up to a ton of abuse and are not full time 4wd.

info dump on compressor. I did not get a hose with my compressor. I need one of the 90 degree fitting ends syle. Anyone know where to get them?

I am thinking about putting this in the larger rear door with braided air lines going through the jam to a manifold in the rear passenger (right) side of the quarter. Will need big power lines also going thorugh that jam. Anyone see issues with doing this?

wiring. thanks @Booch

1610400264818.png

171503 arb manifold and hose kit

Amazon product ASIN B00CJ1VKE8

manifold

Amazon.com: Viair 92820 6 Port Billet Manifold with Mounting Holes: Automotive - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RMC4J2Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This is how we route the hose with the manifold.
View attachment 2486558View attachment 2486559

Here is a video on how to rotate the 90 degree fittings if you need to.

1610400979643.png

Here is the rear quarter panel measurement. This is at the horizontal indentation at the body... and so there's about 1/2-3/4" more room when measure at a lower point. 2nd pic is the ARB single compressor... I have two of them. Would be a really tight squeeze but might just fit.

IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0101D 2.JPG

Twin size... with hose probably 4 1/2 inches

9BB58920-D56F-4C86-AAFF-F0BD8B3B94CD.jpeg

Got all the sound OEM stuff out.

4679A8E2-5EF8-48D4-B72B-C8A65A48F57F.jpeg

So, back to the engine/tranny. I have this running engine, but the question is do I break apart the harness to tie to the truck or do I buy a new harness??

I could not find a good video or website with instructions for dummy to do this.... and what I read talked about reflashing computer for stuff... So, I called PSI this morning, I can send the PCM and TCM (take out of tranny) to them and they program everything and send me a standalone harness.

'07 - '14 LY6 (6.0L)/ L92 (6.2L) w/ 6L80E Standalone Harness - https://www.psiconversion.com/products/standalone-wiring-harnesses/ls-58x/ls-6l80e-6l90e/HAR-1074.html

1610661727107.png

i do need to still find a shifter.. Found this one, looked pretty good. Thoughts?

1610661517737.png

It’s not that hard to strip down the original harness to make it standalone like that - just tedious. I’d say it takes a full day if you’ve done stuff like that before, maybe two days if you haven’t. Just depends what your time is worth
The guide should be online

Info dump, it appears the engine is a L96 engine variant. That is a 6.0 much like the LY6, but had flex fuel from the factory.

It has VVT, and it sounds like I need to get rid of this, as it is common fail. What I am confused about, do I have to do the camshaft swap, or is this something that is computer driven that can be taken out on the ECM and that is all we have to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom