Turbo owners - what additional gages have you fitted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyo Boyo

SILVER Star
Threads
Turbo mudders,

What extra gages have you installed to monitor performance after fitting the turbo?

Wideband AFR, exhaust gas temp, vac/boost meter, as a minimum?

And, have you fitted separate gages or are you using a programmable ’multi’ display?

I’ve read through most of the build threads but I’m looking for a consensus (😉).

Thanks

Lots of discussion in there.

I don't think which gauge you run matters as much as having something like Wideband O2 and a boost pressure gauge that is accurate matters.

I have AFR and boost in 1 Innovate gauge. So far so good, don't feel the need for EGT or Fuel psi we're not running that much boost.

Well, you really only need one gauge, a giant tach with a gianter shift light, hell get an extra giant shift light for double the shifting power. Lets be real, you don't want to miss your shifts like a noob do you?! Thats a surefire way to blow the welds on your intake manifold.

Then mount this to the clamshell blocking all of your other gauges from view, they aren't that important anyway.

555-41260.jpg

I guess it depends on how much boost you’re adding and how safe your system is. Gauges give us metrics (intake pressure, AFR, fuel pressure) to monitor different systems that support the engine (induction, combustion, fuel delivery) as it hunts for power.

If you’re running a conservative amount of boost, you can probably get away without additional gauges but AFR and boost recommended.

If you’re moderately boosting engine, add AFR and Boost

If you’re seeking to reach limits of application, make your dash look like a space ship with gauges for everything.

If you’re seeking to reach limits of application, make your dash look like a space ship with gauges for everything.

Don't forget the shift lights.

I'm not turbo'd but I have a fully custom gauge cluster and I chose to meter the following parameters:
  • Manifold Vacuum
  • Trans Temp (sender unit is measuring output, to cooler, temp)
  • Coolant Temp (measured at the head)
  • Oil Pressure
  • Battery Voltage
  • Speed
  • Tach
  • Fuel
If I was turbo'd I'd have a vac/boost gauge in place of the vac only gauge, and a wideband AFR gauge

I guess it depends on how much boost you’re adding and how safe your system is. Gauges give us metrics (intake pressure, AFR, fuel pressure) to monitor different systems that support the engine (induction, combustion, fuel delivery) as it hunts for power.

If you’re running a conservative amount of boost, you can probably get away without additional gauges but AFR and boost recommended.

If you’re moderately boosting engine, add AFR and Boost

I guess that depends on how you monitor things.

Different rig but
Wideband
Boost
Fuel pressure
Spark adv
Trans temp
Iat2
Coolant temp

2 gauges total

Jeff, that looks like a neat set up.

Where / what / how did you run the various hose / wires?

Thanks

Wideband AFR, boost gauge. EGT is kinda irrelevant in the petrol world, but very important for diesels

Jeff, that looks like a neat set up.

Where / what / how did you run the various hose / wires?

Thanks
All the sensors requiring tubing, etc. are out under the hood. They all then wire back to the computer which is remote from the gauge you saw. I zip tied the computer under the dash near the steering column, Will take a couple of pics later today and share.

Thanks for the kudos - it's a nice setup - very compact for al the info it provides.

Great thread, I've been considering a low boost setup and had the same questions as the OP.

So where does one pull the AFR 'signal' from exactly? Mine is an Aussie market 1997 FZJ, so not OBDII.
Also, mine also doesn't have O2 sensor(s) as far as I'm aware (no Cats)

Great thread, I've been considering a low boost setup and had the same questions as the OP.

So where does one pull the AFR 'signal' from exactly? Mine is an Aussie market 1997 FZJ, so not OBDII.
You add a wideband O2 sensor in the downpipe and get the AFR from it.

You installed a wideband in the exhaust.

in order of importance in my opinion.

1. Wideband and boost gauges. Should both be a requirement
2. EGT pre turbo
3. IAT post intercooler
3. FP at end of the rail
4. EGT post turbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom