TTT -- The Tool Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That thing handle 2x12 pressure treated wood? ;) I've got about 20 yards of old decking I'm not wanting to spend $500 renting a dumpster...:)
Cut it into foot long sections and throw a couple in the trash can every week.

But I’m curious if it’ll handle a radiator. I’ve had it picked out the can and left on the curb by the trash man twice. Even when I had it in a sealed black trash bag. How the hell do they know???

But I’m curious if it’ll handle a radiator. I’ve had it picked out the can and left on the curb by the trash man twice. Even when I had it in a sealed black trash bag. How the hell do they know???

it would take years. I disassembled a 30 foot by 10 foot deck as well as a 4 foot wide deck surrounding a 33 foot pool. I'm probably going to rent a dumpster - looks like i'd need a 12x12" chipper to take this stuff out which is $500 a day - versus a dumpster rental for $450

That's a lot of board feet.

What about a bagster from lowes/home depot? Cut the boards down to ~7 feet and stack em up. Definitely less than $450.

Thought about it. It's about 3 cubic yards for one of those bags. I'm getting a 30 yard dumpster... Cost to empty one of those 3 yard home depot jobbies - $173. Do I need all 30 yards? not sure. But a 10 or a 20 yard was about the same cost so I went big to avoid a second pickup/dropoff fee. Total cost for dropoff, fill with up to 6000 lbs of stuff and take up to 10 days to do it, pickup and disposal included: $470. $75 a ton if I go over 6000 lbs.

What about a bagster from lowes/home depot?
I did this when I demo'd my bathroom a few years ago. Worked out great.

@jamesurq What would you do with pressure treated chips anyway? Isn't your stuff old enough to still be the arsenic-type PT? I doubt your flower beds would enjoy that.

it would take years. I disassembled a 30 foot by 10 foot deck as well as a 4 foot wide deck surrounding a 33 foot pool. I'm probably going to rent a dumpster - looks like i'd need a 12x12" chipper to take this stuff out which is $500 a day - versus a dumpster rental for $450
Burn it.

Hahaha. We’re 50/50 “Tree huggers“ and “screw it” here. Can’t burn it legally - believe me I checked

Finished another vise...Reed 103.

49703261707_34bcd7dbd4_c.jpg

49703262542_6ac33a705e_c.jpg

...and another one well on its way. Paint letters - yay or nay?
49703261622_4d6bb1bae8_c.jpg

Dealing with CL'ers sucks but you could probably get someone that would pick it all up from you??

...and I vote painted letters. Are you selling the baby Reed?

I would sand the paint off the letters and clear coat it.

I would sand the paint off the letters and clear coat it.

That is definitely an option. I did just this on another vise and the result was disappointing.

I’ll get a pic here this morning of sanded letters and painted letters for compare!

Edit: pic of craftsman vise I sanded the letters. Doesn’t work the best unless the letter casting is nice and crisp.

23649787361_2e0731e152_c.jpg

And here is another Prentiss I did and painted the letters gold. Turned out pretty good.

25378041445_30aa6b98a5_c.jpg

Last edited:
I probably should...I need another vise like all those people stockpiling TP and no food, need the TP.
Let me know if you do... I'm not necessarily in the market for a vice but man that thing is awesome. I have a pretty small workbench so I'd need to confirm the dimensions.

I think the pictures provide your answer.

paint.

Jon,

What are you coating the bare metal with? Penetrol? Clear spray paint? Boiled linseed oil? Those vises look fabtabulous!

Painted letters!

36ABBA25-B3A2-406A-8A8E-819C4000044E.jpeg
B31530A3-F257-4872-9E2C-21F3C8D89DF4.jpeg

@roadstr6 - Thanks!! I typically just give the bare metal parts a rub down with motor or gear oil. That keeps them rust free for a year or so. When they start to show some flash rusting I will then tear off a piece of never-dull cloth for a quick polish, wiping off the residue with a rag. That seems to work pretty good even in my unheated garage/shop.

Painted letters!

View attachment 2251081View attachment 2251082

@roadstr6 - Thanks!! I typically just give the bare metal parts a rub down with motor or gear oil. That keeps them rust free for a year or so. When they start to show some flash rusting I will then tear off a piece of never-dull cloth for a quick polish, wiping off the residue with a rag. That seems to work pretty good even in my unheated garage/shop.
Give Penetrol a try. It will keep rust at bay for years and it doesn’t change the appearance of bare steel other than to give it a little sheen. I use it on all kinds of stuff.

1D3EB199-9B4D-43C3-AE70-CF2171275F83.jpeg

Give Penetrol a try. It will keep rust at bay for years and it doesn’t change the appearance of bare steel other than to give it a little sheen. I use it on all kinds of stuff.

View attachment 2251328

I like the penetrol, used it on the underside of my yellow truck. I might have to use it on the vise next up.

I really want to try this black oil out. I’ve seen a vise finished with it and it looks really nice.

BLO over here. Heat the metal up a bit and rub that in. Very effective, and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom