TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OPINION

Chain saws should be orange or orange/white Don't buy one at a box store, far better deals on line for better equipment and the warranty is provided by the manufacturer any way.

HUSQVARNA 240 with either 14" or 16" bar was my choice.

My brother gave me his old 025 that he used for years to process firewood for his house until they finally went gas. It died last year and wasn't economic to repair. Bought a MS180 to replace it. Much less saw but I didn't need that big any way. I've been very happy with the 180 cleaning up the constant down limbs and trees in my yard...

I'm gonna pile on the orange bus too. Buy a good one, one time and be done. I went with a Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar.

Keep in mind size and weight, limbing and light work with a larger saw will wear your arms and upper body out in a hurry. Won't do your back any favors either.

I use my 240 a whole lot more than the 455 Rancher. But the 455 gets used on bigger stuff when called into use.

Good points. I wouldn't use the 250 for a ton of light work. I got it when we had 5 trees come down after a big wind storm, so already down for limbing. If I was doing much overhead, I'd probably look at getting something smaller and lighter. Of course if I was going to be doing anything really heavy, the 250 would probably be too small. I think when i went in looking for one they kind of aimed me at that one based on what I told them I was looking to do with it.

It really depends on what you will be doing with it most of the time. Most Stihl dealers around here have a pretty good sales staff that can help get you to the best saw to suit your needs. I'd hope the dealers over there would do the same.

Looking around I think I’m likely going to go with a 170, while I’m sure in the long run a bigger saw might be better for some of the stuff we’ll be cutting I think it can’t hurt to have a light saw to get me started and maybe I’ll find a deal on a used bigger saw later. I did make an offer on. MS290 and if that doesn’t work out I think I’ll go with the 170 I’ve got a northern tool gift card so that kinda helps haha

Looking around I think I’m likely going to go with a 170, while I’m sure in the long run a bigger saw might be better for some of the stuff we’ll be cutting I think it can’t hurt to have a light saw to get me started and maybe I’ll find a deal on a used bigger saw later. I did make an offer on. MS290 and if that doesn’t work out I think I’ll go with the 170 I’ve got a northern tool gift card so that kinda helps haha
I was going to buy the 170 and the salesman told me the carburetor on the 180 was significantly better and only $20 difference. Maybe he was blowing smoke?? but I got the 180 based on that recommendation. I use my saw once/twice a year, so I get it... no need for a ton of cash sitting that doesn't get used but didn't want to fight it every time I needed it either.

My Makita battery powered chainsaw with a 14" bar and low profile chain is great for limbing and softwood. However it is not meant for bringing down 18" old growth dead oak trees that are hard as a rock. A battery saw is quiet, easy to use, has instant on and off, and perfect for travel and removing small trees across the trail.

If you are doing any major work, invest in a Stihl of the appropriate size for your needs.

My MS180 is a super gen purpose saw that i can use for a long time without fatigue. That’s a big deal. Anyone who has experienced real fatigue while running a saw knows it’s dangerous. I also have an MS361 that, while I love the ridiculous amount of power, is a heavy saw.

I use a ms660 with a 32” bar for everything, I used to use a 461 for “light duty stuff” but I loaned it to someone and it returned smashed. :zilla:

This will be a game changer. Got it set up this past weekend.

View attachment 2235050
Dude, that air conditioner will be awesome come this summer, I hate when I sweat working in the shop. Also nothing beats a clean floor, blue mop buckets are my favorite. Also absolutely love the green Coleman, Oh hey cool plasma table btw.

Found a ms250 for alittle I’ve 200 so gonna see how that goes ran great felt good now I just need to get the rest of the safety stuff.

98D5EB31-3493-482F-8DEE-B830C5A0F307.jpeg

Stihl 028 for me. At least 30+ years old. I could never put it on a seat though, too much bar oil leaks out of every orriface.

B839F15A-1BE7-4FC5-9B07-086A88C5CCC2.jpeg

Was super clean and got to use it today cutting up a swing set for transport. Looking forward to using it some more getting trees cleaned up.

Assembled a vise stand today for my two parkers.

IMG_20200316_201131.jpg

FYI,
several scientific articles show that acetone will kill bacteria on non-living surfaces. As for viruses, they are not alive. But acetone is antiviral and will inhibit viral activity.

warning it will melt more then germs. i wouldn't wipe anything down that is plastic or colored. it is the active ingredent in nail polish remover and paint thinner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom