TTT -- The Tool Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threaten secession, @Rice !!!! that seems to be the trend these days when people don't get what they want

Threaten secession, @Rice !!!! that seems to be the trend these days when people don't get what they want

If the issue was an HOA thing I might .... but this is a Guilford County thing. The "side" street requires the structure be 70 feet off the right of way.

If the issue was an HOA thing I might .... but this is a Guilford County thing. The "side" street requires the structure be 70 feet off the right of way.
Quote These Me

Say its a place of worship...build a pulpit out of ticky's bottom end, stained glass in a 40 series bezel behind you. .then threaten to sue Guilford county for religious discrimination. :D

I can see a covered fish pond breezeway in your future! (wait a minute, that was my fortune cookie fortune from HOLY WOK and ROLL, nevermind)

Call me when your ready to start jamie !

IMG_0818.JPG

@Rice Look into it as I described above. I've been through this on my own property and with a couple customers in the past. Most building departments have a looser set of rules if you are adding on to an already established building rather than building a new stand alone structure.

That 70' set back sounds like a "front of structure" set back. If you do it as an addition you will more than likely be dealing with a "side of structure" set back. Keep the drive way coming from the same street as it does now.

I have also found that not all of these "rules" are set in stone. Most municipalities can be negotiated with. Look at all the codes related to building a similar structure on similar, non corner properties. You will more than likely have room to spare on your side set back if you were not on a corner.

@Rice Look into it as I described above. I've been through this on my own property and with a couple customers in the past. Most building departments have a looser set of rules if you are adding on to an already established building rather than building a new stand alone structure.

That 70' set back sounds like a "front of structure" set back. If you do it as an addition you will more than likely be dealing with a "side of structure" set back. Keep the drive way coming from the same street as it does now.

I have also found that not all of these "rules" are set in stone. Most municipalities can be negotiated with. Look at all the codes related to building a similar structure on similar, non corner properties. You will more than likely have room to spare on your side set back if you were not on a corner.

Thanks Stan.

You are correct about the 70' front. What was explained to me is that being on a corner means I have 2 fronts.

Be happy your house sits square on the lot. Mine sat 45 degrees. That made it so no point of the new shop could sit forward of the front corner of the house as this was already established as the front of the property. If you do it as an addition you will most likely find the same, the front of the shop must also meet the 70' front set back.

Anyone have a torque wrench that goes up past 220ft/lbs I can borrow in the near future?

Call me when your ready to start jamie !

View attachment 1434985

I am glad to come by and help - if you are talking about @Rice's!

My pond is fine . .but it will have no breezeway over it.

As far as the garage - - I need to get my HOA approval for a plan for a garage. I think it will have to be somewhat TRIANGLE in shape.

I'll post up a pic of the lot with the hand-drawn layout :)

Anyone have a torque wrench that goes up past 220ft/lbs I can borrow in the near future?

I'm your huckleberry.

Let's find a mudship.

I could maybe help. No immediate plans but have other parts bound for the garage del presidente.

I need to buy a dremel. I have never used one so I doubt I will need a super duper one....would prefer to be cordless, but not necessary. Any feedback?

I was considering this one:
Dremel 8050-N/18 Micro Rotary Tool Kit with 18 Accessories Dremel 8050-N/18 Micro Rotary Tool Kit with 18 Accessories - - Amazon.com

Or this one:
Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool - Power Rotary Tools - Amazon.com

Or go super cheap and figure it out
WEN 2307 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit with 100-Piece Accessories WEN 2307 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit with 100-Piece Accessories - Power Rotary Tools - Amazon.com

Last edited:
Depends on what you are going to use it for. I've had one for years and I think I got a midrange model with the extendable flexible attachment. If I did it again I'd just get the adapter to use the Dremel attachments with an electric die grinder.

Yea, it's rare to really need one on a car but sometimes a dremel will fit where other tools won't and just works great for certain jobs.

I've got a battery one and a plug in. After a few years the battery won't hold a charge but the plug in one still runs strong. I've started staying away from battery powered tools that don't use the same battery as my drill.

Good point on the battery. Nothing like a good tool with a crappy battery.

I ordered the cheap Wen (with the wand thing) since I only see one project ahead that I might need it....trimming dash trim so the radio I installed into the 100 will fit properly. The Chinese Android head units are just a tad too tall/wide.

I ordered the cheap Wen (with the wand thing) since I only see one project ahead that I might need it....trimming dash trim so the radio I installed into the 100 will fit properly. The Chinese Android head units are just a tad too tall/wide.

What's the head unit and what are the special features about it that lead to your decision?

(Head unit shopping soon I believe)

What's the head unit and what are the special features about it that lead to your decision?

(Head unit shopping soon I believe)

I will post a review tonight if I can and tag you in it.. It is awesome and cheap!!! @Greenbean saw it yesterday and I showed him several things it can do. Very cool head unit.

Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System Amazon.com: Corehan 7" inch Android 5.1 Lollipop Double Din In Dash Radio Car Video Player with Bluetooth Wifi GPS Navigation System: GPS & Navigation

I've been a Dremel guy since I was 13. Yeah I bought my first one at 13. I've had every model. For lightweight tiny crap they are fine but get them hot and they are toast. The only two that have ever survived was my Vintage model 2 that my grandfather passed down to me. And the cordless one I bought my wife 10 years ago. The rest were all expensive crap that failed at the wrong moment. Went through 3 in the shop before I bought a Wen. 3 years in and no problems. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom