To Drive or Not to Drive: That is the Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like you don’t need anymore encouragement but I’ll add some…this will be a trip that not only your nephew remembers but you will reference in your memory many times over. Some of the most epic trips I’ve ever embarked on, have been in a Land Cruiser. As stated before, take your time and enjoy every moment.

Adventures always have risks, but it’s worth the reward every time.

Last edited:
FWIW, I drove my 1976 40 from Charlotte, NC to Sierra Vista, AZ (guess why, there's only one thing there) and back in 1995/96, on the interstate (1-20 to El Paso and then 1-10 to Hwy 90). The only mishaps were a broken fan belt in LA (in a tropical storm) (I had a spare under the seat) and gas sourcing was a little dodgy around Ranger, TX. I didn't think I was going to make it to my next fuel stop, but it was downhill, so it wasn't a problem.

Just do it. FWIW, I made a cannonball run both ways; it took me a day and a half. Getting to Dallas from Charlotte is a full day. They're not kidding when the say Texas is like a whole other country.

Last edited:
I say go for it!
Especially if back roads are taken, life will slow down to Cruiser speed and be enjoyable.
Spare belts, tools, and fluids as mentioned.

I took my 40 from GA up through NC and ran hurricane creek trail, lots of hilly interstate. Truck ran just fine there and back.
You will learn to trust the cruiser more and more and any nervousness will fade.

Consider some inexpensive ear buds for you and the 12yo, they help.
Post pics and enjoy!

I will add to not hesitate to push a little your HJ45. In good shape they can do 70mph all day on the flat. So at 50 you are not damaging this engine, after a 1000miles it will probably become easier to rev even higher, they need to run.

For the ears I use the NoNoise Moto, doesn't cut me completly from the surroundings (horn or sirrens...) but very very good at cutting wind, transmission and tire noises.

I did this with my 12yo son about a month ago in my new to me 60. We only did 500 miles, but we flew into the middle of nowhere Texas and drove our new 60 home. On the way, the a/c compressor crapped out but that didn't damper the mood. 55-60 on back 2 lane highways all the way back to Kansas City. It's a trip we will never forget. I hope you and your nephew have a great time! Make sure you figure out a way to play some tunes so you can both play the music you like.

"Anyway, just kind of irritated to have this doubt thrown at me the night before I take off! "

Hopefully is on the road already!
Looking forward to some pics!

I’m in the just do it camp too. Good advice to drop info into this thread with updates especially if you need troubleshooting help.

Howdy!
So I am about to embark on a journey driving my 1980 HJ45 from Florida to Arizona. Plan is up to North Carolina and then across to Arizona. Due to my top speed being about 50, I will be taking non interstate roads. I will be traveling with my 12 year old nephew.

Here's the issue: Now, at the last minute, some people are saying I shouldn't do it: too much of a risk, put it on a trailer and tow it...

Gotta say, it's getting to me. Maybe it's that I am exhausted at the moment and it's almost 12:30 AM.

I drove it today from Sarasota to Key Largo, and then to Pembroke Pines. about 350 miles. No issues. Ran the AC sometimes, sometimes not. I got up to about 53mph but feels like that's pushing it with the four speed. 40-45 seems to be the cruising speed.

I had no issues.

Worst problem was driving on 41 down through to Naples, and the ENDLESS traffic lights! THAT was a nightmare!!!
Once I got on the open road I just cruised at 40-45.
There were a couple of pissed off people. One old man in a convertible Corvette or similar gave me the bird.
But much more were honking the horn, giving me thumbs up, and yelling "Cool truck!"

Anyway, just kind of irritated to have this doubt thrown at me the night before I take off! I figure renting a truck and trailer will cost a good $1,500 or so, not to mention killing the whole adventure.

I want to still do it, but am now doubting: am I being stubborn? Letting pride get in the way?

Pretty much sure I am still doing this, but would like to hear opinions.
I traveled for coast to coast many times in my 1970 FJ40 with the stock six and later with a V8 with out A/C.
I kept it at 2500 rpm equals about 50 mph.
I pulled a 16 foot travel trailer so didn't have to worry too much about a place to sleep.
The main thing is the condition of the vehicle.

I have traveled extensively (Mexico/Canada) with an FJ45 and love it.
If this couple
has been traveling the world in a BJ45 since 2003, you should be ok. :)

Wow! What an inspiration to read all the comments! Thank you all!!!

We left the Pembroke Pines area in Florida yesterday at about 3PM. Got to St. Augustine at about 2AM. 334 miles. We did make several stops and took our time.
Saw some of St. Augustine and drove on the beach.
Will be leaving tomorrow morning: heading through Georgia on the way to Boone, NC. Don't know how far we'll get before needing rest, but will probably get another hotel somewhere in Georgia. Once we reach Boone, NC, I plan to camp for a couple of days before heading West. Will probably camp somewhere in Daniel Boone National Forest, then visit Mammoth Cave.
Taking it slow-not rushing.

I will write a more detailed report when I can. Today was just recovering from the very late arrival and seeing a few places.

Will post some pics soon.

Again, thank you all!

Howdy
I’m in northern Florida, about to cross into Georgia.
The Vintage Air crapped out-no Freon.

The passenger door is jammed shut. Won’t open from inside or out. Just before that, the window mechanism stopped working properly.

I was gonna check it out when we get to NC, but now the door is jammed.

Any ideas on how to open the door when it the inner and outer handles are not working?

Howdy
I’m in northern Florida, about to cross into Georgia.
The Vintage Air crapped out-no Freon.

The passenger door is jammed shut. Won’t open from inside or out. Just before that, the window mechanism stopped working properly.

I was gonna check it out when we get to NC, but now the door is jammed.

Any ideas on how to open the door when it the inner and outer handles are not working?
You need to pull the door card. I would use a plastic trim tool and be careful doing it. It's probably one of the little plastic pieces that connects the linkage to the latch. You can find one that will work at an auto parts store. Toyota still has them as well but likely not in stock at your local dealer.

You need to pull the door card. I would use a plastic trim tool and be careful doing it. It's probably one of the little plastic pieces that connects the linkage to the latch. You can find one that will work at an auto parts store. Toyota still has them as well but likely not in stock at your local dealer.
Thanks!

Will do that at camp in the next day or two.

Florida to Arizona: 2,500 miles at 40MPH
Part 1.

I’m going to write about the trip so far below. Will try to keep it simple. I would like to do a more thorough write up later, but for now, this at least explains what’s happening.

I always thought FJ40s were cool, but the pickups and Troopy were what gave me the “warm fuzzies” as they say.

Some months ago I approached a friend who has an old 70 series short wheelbase FJ sitting in his yard. He’s letting it deteriorate so I offered to buy it and restore it. My plan, I explained” was to restore it and turn it into my overloading vehicle.

My friend’s answer was that he will not sell it because it’s worth a lot of money and what if I wreck it. I explained that the Land Cruiser is literally starting to deteriorate: like the several rust holes through the hood from just sitting there for years. I’m talking it’s been sitting there, not running over a simple points issue, for the last fourteen years!!!

He would not budge.

It was a pretty distasteful experience: not because he wouldn’t sell it per se, but because he would rather let it rot.

Then, a few days later, another friend calls out of the blue and asks if I want a good deal on his HJ45 pickup. I said yes, and here we are!

The HJ45 was a coffee plantation truck in Costa Rica. Now its my project Overland Tourer.

Back during Spring Break, I had one day to get it from my brother in law’s house in West Palm Beach to my in-law’s trusted mechanic over in the Sarasota area. So I flew in to Sarasota, got a ride to West Palm Beach and…

The truck was killing batteries and, not having seen it, I was worried there was something really serious. I am new to diesel, so my brother in law, Rick, immediately noticed it needed two batteries. We bought a second battery, I did an oil change, and she started right up.

By the time this was done, however, it was about 7:30 PM. My plan to document the drive on video was thwarted by the failing daylight. I still filmed some though, and will post it soon on my new YouTube Channel.

The truck ran fine that night, albeit slow, and I dropped it off at the mechanic (Gonzalez Motorsport) at about 1AM. The next day I caught a plane back to Arizona.

For the next couple of months I looked forward to driving it back to Arizona. I hoped at first to have a five speed installed by then, but alas, the time arrived for the drive, and the 5 Speed is still yet to happen.

Monday, June 5th, I drove the HJ down to Key Largo to finalize the sale. I had driven my wife to the airport at 2AM, then went back to the in-laws to sleep a little bit, but was still tired when time came to start the drive.

Years ago I had an amazing experience hearing the calls of the Sandhill Cranes waking me up one morning (maybe will talk about that someday). Now, this morning, nervous and tired and about to step into the HJ and drive to Key Largo, I heard the cranes calling again. My nervousness vanished.

The first part of the drive was just a nightmare. Avoiding highways, I took 41 South, but didn’t realize the insane amount of traffic lights between Sarasota and Naples!

Once out of the Naples area, though, the road opened up, and I was able to relax at 38 MPH. I did push it to 50 a few times, but don’t want to stress out that old engine. As it is, I get white smoke when I change gears.

On the way I got a lot of thumbs up and people yelling “Cool ride!”. There was only one jerk: a man in what looked like his mid to late 60s driving a convertible sports car-maybe a Corvette-shot me a birdie as he passed.

We signed the paperwork at the DMV, they hit me with a damned sales tax, and then my friend and I went to eat at our favorite pizza place down there: Tower of Pizza.

Before leaving he gifted me a brand new 12,000lb Badlands winch, still in the box!

I then drove up to Pembroke Pines and stayed the night in another friend’s house who I’ve been friends with since 6th grade.

It was that night that some people contacted me, trying to convince me not to do the drive. By then I was exhausted and about to go to bed, so the doubts and second guessing hit me pretty good.

I had already told my nephew about this trip, and didn’t want to disappoint him. Last summer his plans to visit got cancelled and I wasn’t about to let him down. I was sure this was a good thing to do, but at the same time I worried that my pride could be clouding my judgement.
So I talked to the friend I was staying with, and posted here on IH8MUD. The replies were just awesome: everyone pointing out that it was indeed a doable thing, and even offering help if needed. I am very grateful for all the positive comments and encouragement!

On Tuesday I picked up my nephew after his graduation from 5th grade, and we set out. It was late, about 3PM by the time we started driving, and we arrived at the hotel in St. Augustine at about 2AM, and passed out.

The next day we explored St. Augustine a bit, driving on the beach, seeing Castillo de San Marcos, and walking to my favorite pizza place on St. George street. I gotta say, engaging the four wheel drive and going on the sand felt absolutely wonderful!

Still feeling tired, we spent one more night in the hotel and set out the next morning, which was today!

Yesterday the passenger window started acting up: needing to be pushed down by hand and acting strange.

Today the air conditioner stopped working. Apparently there is a freon leak. I am debating whether to get one of those AC stop leaks and recharge it myself. An hour or so later, the passenger door refused to open-from inside or outside.

Right now we’re in a hotel in Augusta, GA. Wanted to get to Boone today, but I would arrive at around 1 or 2 AM. I don’t like driving at night due to more hazards from animals, being tired, and you miss seeing beautiful sights!

My nephew has been a real trooper. No complaints-not one. Takes everything in stride. He’s 12 but feels like I’m driving with an adult sitting there. It really has been a great experience! I thank you all again for the encouragement!!!

I’ll post more when I can.

Thanks for reading!

Tomorrow we head to Boone, NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom