Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rope on. Done.

708A6942-10CE-4052-95EC-BEB76890A3F8.jpeg

Got the winch done.

This is a pain in the ass but a good option if you don’t want to clutter up the front of your 80.

I’m sure after all this work I’ll hit a deer this winter.

So I had to modify the bumper in just a few places..............
Looks great. Nice and clean. Happy.
View attachment 2471124
Not sure if you thought this through, but if you need to winch at an angle, which actually happens a lot using a winch, I think you're going to mangle that bumper because it may look great now, but that fairlead should be bolted to a substantial part of your winch plate. It looks like it may be bolted to the front of your winch plate, through the bumper after checking this pic:
1603239953785.png

It may be an optical illusion, but the fairlead looks like it's at the angle of the front bumper, and your winch plate fairlead bracket is at a 90* angle from horizontal - or vertical. That doesn't seem like it will be as stout as you need for a fairlead. Other than that, it looks good!

Obviously it’s not lined up with the Harbor Freight plate but it’s close. At the angle in the photo the rope is about 1/4” from the metal on the plate. If I wreck my bumper it should only move it about that far either way. I was planning on putting two fairleads on. One on the plate and one on the bumper to fill that gap but there was not enough room. The steel bumper is right up against the HF plate. I think it’s good.

I agree with the forces on the fairlead. However this truck is unique enough that I hope it only winches out of parking spots and occasionally pulls firewood around anyways.

Of bigger concern may be the sharp edge from the cut bumper I see through the fairlead. Some more opening would be smart.

Of bigger concern may be the sharp edge from the cut bumper I see through the fairlead. Some more opening would be smart.

Not trying to say I know all and don’t take advice but that is just the angle of the photo. It’s well back from the lip ...... unless the bumper folds up the 1/4” on a hard sideways pull I hope I don’t have to do.

Not trying to say I know all and don’t take advice but that is just the angle of the photo. It’s well back from the lip ...... unless the bumper folds up the 1/4” on a hard sideways pull I hope I don’t have to do.

You may be entirely right. :meh:

I agree with the forces on the fairlead. However this truck is unique enough that I hope it only winches out of parking spots and occasionally pulls firewood around anyways.

Yeah, he may never use the winch - but it's nice to have the confidence that you have one. The other thing I just noticed is the placement or access for the remote connector. Hope he never has to winch out of deep mud 'cause he'll be cussing trying to get it hooked up.

Thanks for the tip. Weird there is no fluid in the oil that I can see. Yet....

I’ve spoken to @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors and I’m going to go ahead and get a WooPow 3FE head built to put it back together. Granted I don’t think the timing was exactly right, I’ll say the Desmog did not do a whole lot to open this motor up. My 2F with Sniper setup and Mosley Head has a lot more power than this Desmog 3FE. I was expecting them to be very similar but it’s not so why not get this thing some more air while I’m at it.
View attachment 2449271
It’s wild that it was only in the red for maybe 30 seconds and it popped the HG. Too bad this thing set up so much. I’m guessing it was brittle and did not take much to kill it
What's a woopow head? Just curious.

Anyone doing this hidden winch mod. Wanted to address a couple of appreciated comments above.
I stuck the carbide bit in there and trimmed more bumper after the photo. Good call.

As for positioning of the fairlead versus the winch rope output......

Being on the flat, lower section on the bumper is the proper spot. I actually could have gone about 1/2” lower as that is about how far up the rope travels from the bottom of the fairlead. With rope out it will not likely touch under load.
E628C015-BFB6-4167-BCBC-A6B92A849365.jpeg

The hard 90* pull on the fairlead is a valid concern. I looked and there is room to add an aluminum fairlead to the HF plate as well (barely).

I may add one when I relocate the control box. Hopefully I never have to use this thing but I’ve been known to get myself in a pickle because I love to wheel alone.

DDD00156-BBE5-4DC4-9811-F23140910B09.jpeg

Modern larger valves & progressive springs, 5-7 angle valve job in the CNC machine, CC’d & milled for compression. I think we did 9:1 on this one.

View attachment 2471937

What are the typical power and tq gains one might expect from this head?

What are the typical power and tq gains one might expect from this head?

We don’t have a head to head yet with a Head Only versus a stock motor BUT I have a head only via Mosley on my FJ60 and it is a big upgrade above 2800 RPM. My 60 pulls HP to redline after the head work. Before the cop head it fizzled out at 2800-3000.

We don’t have a head to head yet with a Head Only versus a stock motor BUT I have a head only via Mosley on my FJ60 and it is a big upgrade above 2800 RPM. My 60 pulls HP to redline after the head work. Before the cop head it fizzled out at 2800-3000.

Nice.... i'll be doing a 3fe turbo build for my truck at some point and am going to redo the head.
Might be a 2fe Turbo build if everything aligns correctly.

Nice.... i'll be doing a 3fe turbo build for my truck at some point and am going to redo the head.
Might be a 2fe Turbo build if everything aligns correctly.

I have a full Mosley Motors 2F and it is insane. I would blow it up with a turbo I’m sure.

Got the head from Mosley. Looks sweet.

Three days of virtual meetings coming up. I may die

....hope to stab it Friday

5C596E34-6544-4A17-8D33-AF87E4741C65.jpeg

2BA00D23-5451-478A-A0F1-2164BC95367D.jpeg

8D7650F6-03D7-40F8-88E6-D876866D27E7.jpeg

FAACE111-AA64-4229-987C-FE402966F43E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom