The Meade Hall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need a big bull elk on that wall and a freezer full of steaks. 🄩

No exceptions.

FIFY 😁

100%..!!! Was supposed to go this October on a Colorado hunt. Had to reshuffle the bucket list. Too much on the plate this fall. It was a short notice opportunity. Not enough prep time.

I’ve been remiss in my cardio effort (cringe). I need to up my game before hitting any serious elevation. The last time I was in Colorado (Springs) @6500 ft, just walking to the DFAC took it out of me 🤣. I was a much younger older man then.

The leader of the expedition is doing a RECCE this year for another hunt in ā€œ27ā€.

We’ll see how the old man holds up this year. Test the spirit, see if it’s still willing come next October.
 
The final frontier.

Very little ambient light makes its way to the utility room. Added two flush mount LED’s. This is the last ā€œroomā€ that will see any concerted effort. I’ll work on it as time permits. Current plan is for a washer/dryer combo, farm sink + additional shelving/storage. Mounting the shallow well pump here as well.

Probably paint the wall a whiter shade of pale. Something a little more reflective. TBD.

Priority now is on the ā€œoutsideā€ projects. Meeting with OCB next week to do a COA analysis and develop a BOM for the porch roof.


Hunting Buddy and I have a couple small-ish projects lined up to do before the season opens. More on that later.

Screenshot 2026-09-04 at 4.58.05 PM.webp


Screenshot 2026-09-04 at 5.01.06 PM.webp
 
Last edited:
It’s a young man that worked for us as an intern. He’s now a young American doing what young Americans do..šŸ˜Ž

So…we’re going pheasant huntingā€¦šŸ«”

@rkymtnflyfisher
 
OK, so I’m now certain, my maker looks out for Scots and presumptuous old men. Haven’t been on the hill for a week er’ two. I’ve been out of the net these past few days. This AM I rolled up announced to the Hall and found this intrepid interloper
hanging out just behind the wood rack….😁

IMG_7570.webp


IMG_7569.webp
 
Back on the chain gang..

Strapped into the Tundra at 0-early-30 this AM and headed due west to pick up CB. We spent about a hour in the ā€œwood shopā€ making little boards out of big boards. Using some of the pin oak to trim out the bath room door and shower surround.
Used the band saw to cut it down then ran it through the planer.

Decided I’m pretty good at making sawdust.

It was at this point that my photographic capacity stopped. The phone spent the day leisurely hanging out in the wood shop staring at the ceiling. CB snapped a couple pics to prove we were there but, his forte is not photography and things look a little grainy through his fifteen year old phone.

IMG_7578.webp


IMG_7576.webp
 
Except for the base board, we scratched the bathroom off of the punch list today . šŸŽ‰ Should go down tomorrow AM..

Door trim and the top band around the shower was cut, planed, stained and installed..The pin oak came off of the same barn as the chestnut.

Finished up the interior wall(s) as well. I’ll add urethane tomorrow just to make it legal.

image.webp


image.webp


image.webp
 
Added two live edge shelves. I need to urethane the walls and I’m 99.9% sure I’ll just add urethane to the shelves as well. I hit a piece of scrape with it today as a test mule. IMHO Looks really good.

Rumor has it that a one off small cabinet is in the design phase for future installation. You can’t beat friends with power tools and no supervision..

Spent our mandatory break time going over the BOM for the front porch roof. Probably big ticket store the essentials this weekend. I’ll have it loaded up and ready for a Monday launch time.

Plan for tomorrow is to start prepping the kitchen for the cabinet installation. May get the pantry cabinet standing upright. We need a third set of hands to hang the reminder.

image.webp


image.webp
 
Not knowing, or not caring for that matter, where my phone is is a wonderful feeling. Too bad I have a primal level panic attack if I misplace it…
 
Too bad I have a primal level panic attack if I misplace it…

You sure seem to loose track of your phone often...



Ms Revenge and I once spent a weekend in Gettysburg PA touring the battlefield, taking in the local pub offerings and window shopping for souvenirs. The first morning at the hotel, I took an early seat on the G-Town promenade to sip coffee, watch the local talent and skim through the Gettysburg Times.

Off to my right was a young couple, twenty something’s, noses to phones seemingly lost in a cyberspace induced coma. I watched them off and on for the better part of ten minutes. Neither spoke.

I was stirring my second cup of mediocre coffee when the young woman chuckled, raised her head and said: ā€œThat was really funnyā€! The young man gave a casual nod and resumed his unperturbed study of the digital landscape.

I don’t recall either speaking while I casually finished my General R. E. Lee fried egg croissant and resumed my intense David Attenborough level observation. After some time, the young man having sufficiently perused the known limits of the internet, abruptly stood up and announced: ā€œYou readyā€?

Without fanfare, the semi verbal young debutant quietly nodded her approval and got up to leave. As they passed my table they returned my nod as they strode past. Looking down at my newspaper I’m pretty sure the dominant male of the two whispered ā€œNeanderthalā€ before turning and disappearing around the corner.

If I could tie them to a millstone and cast them into the sea I would (Talking about the phones 😁)

I can assure you, It was far from my intent to cause my friends in the ether unnecessary blockchain duress. So, I’ve devised a solution that should ease your angst and help keep my digital tether within easy reach.

I think you’ll approveā€¦šŸ˜‰

IMG_3806.webp
 
Last edited:
I said in your pocket. Like so you can answer if the Mrs forgets where the extra bag of dog food is stored or wants to make sure you haven’t been eaten by a bear. Not in front of your nose like the other 90% of the planet.
 
CB and I are painfully slow most days.

It rained just enough to be irritating. I did manage to get four coats of urethane down on the bathroom shelves before the precip started. I really like the linseed oil on the smoking bench. It fits. Outdoor use. It’s bold. I wanted to tone it down a bit for the shelves. Thoughts were to ā€œblendā€ rather than dominate. Early indications are promising. Leaving them to dry over the weekend. Once mounted, I’ll post up pics (Monday).

I also managed two coats on the last section of the bathroom until I ran out of urethane. Apparently my Logistics Officer was asleep at the wheel. Made a mental note to dock his pay.😁

While I was busy in the bathroom CB commenced clean up operations in prep for the days main event…


Last pic is of the smoking bench for comparison.

IMG_7579.webp


IMG_7580.webp


IMG_7582.webp


image.webp
 
Keeping the barn alive..

Earlier in the week we made little boards out of bigger boards. Trying to use as much of the barn wood as possible. Decided to make the baseboard for the bathroom out of pin oak. Sanded and knocked down the sharp edge with a hand plane.

I even managed a coat of urethane before it started raining. Raining just enough to add polka dot speckles on my freshly urethaned effort 🤬. So the bathroom isn’t technically finished yet. I’ll resand and try again next week.

IMG_7586.webp
 
About that painfully slow Moses level creep.

CB and I built the cabinets in April of this year. Shortly after, I moved them to the storage bld while I was in Florida with the Mrs. In June they made the trip out in the county where they sat neglected and unused. Well they were used as a collection point for boxes, tools and coffee cups, in they way most days and otherwise generally out of place.

So the main effort yesterday for CB, Archimedes and I was to finally mount the cabinets. Big day.

Started by semi-ish installing my genuine imitation faux beam above the ā€œgrand entranceā€. I think I started that project a year and a half ago..Moses creepšŸ‘ˆšŸ». Anyway, started with the tall boy pantry cabinet. Deconstructed a section of baseboard and shoe molding from the original kitchen design IOT get the anchor cabinet set in place.

The CB one offs are not the typical big ticket store MDF offerings. Mounting the main section was accomplished in stages.
1st brace was cut counter top height just to get it off the ground. Used the countertop as temporary stage one rest point. Second set of braces for the final push. All this was managed without loss of limb or appendage.

The ā€œkitchenā€ was finished somewhere in the neighborhood circa 2016-17. Finally getting around to installing a set of proper cabinets. Moses making his way around the club house turn. šŸ†

IMG_7589.webp


IMG_7590.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom