The Meade Hall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test fitting the doors. Some tweaking required. A little hand planing here and a little sanding there should finish out the cabinet installation. For now.

Moving the main effort to the great outdoors.

On deck: Front porch roof - West wall deck - Facia/soffit - staining ops. Calling in the big guns. Hunting buddy for an assist with the deck. OCB should be back in time next week to launch on the porch roof. CB on the cabinet doors and on call for a BPT mission(s). Well that’s at least the plan as it stands today.

No plan survives the first contact so, we’ll see how it goes. 😉

Log Officer is currently driving the train with a trip(s) to the big ticket store for supplies planned for this weekend.

IMG_7588.webp


IMG_7591.webp
 
While we were in the mountains this summer, the Mrs and I took a tour of a Simon Pearce factory in Oakland Md. This particular store has a retail storefront and a glassblowing facility that sits in the old Bausch and Lomb factory just outside of Oakland.

Curious to see the glass blowing facility, I left Ms Revenge to ogle the crystal and chat with the store manager.

If you’ve never seen the process I highly recommend it. It’s old world fascinating and the heat around the furnaces is a certain cure for the common night out with the boys..😎

I watched several teams working in pairs turn out some beautiful pieces. Afterward, I made my way back to the storefront. The manager was wearing a very satisfied smile on her face and the Mrs had a large bag sitting on the counter.

A classic misdirection move executed beautifully…Salute Ms Revenge, well played.

I packed the bag carefully in the Princess Mobile where it remained safe, secure and out of mind.

Until two days ago.

The Tundra was warming up in the drive and I was loading up a shotgun I’d cleaned for CB when out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of movement as Ms Revenge came up on my blind side. Normally this would have triggered an adrenaline surge and my flight response. But, before I could exfil through the back seat, she held out a small box marked “Simon Pearce”… “What’s this?” I asked warily scanning the bushes for a hidden news crew. “Oh it’s just something for OUR Camp” she
Cooed sweetly before turning and making her way back into the house.

First it was Pillow shams, then a fuzzy woobie and now a set of hand blown Old Fashioned glasses. I think it’s a coup in the making. I’m starting to rethink this whole indoor plumbing idea.

Technically, I think they’re “Double old Fashioned” glasses. Planning on a test flight later this fall. In the mean time, they’re taking up residence in the Captains Lounge. :cheers:

IMG_7592.webp


IMG_7593.webp
 
Last edited:
Those are nice. Now you need the right ice, unless you prefer your whisky neat. I have been playing around with making clear ice the last couple of years. The molds are relatively cheap and the process not overly complicated but it's not quite as simple as filling up the mold with water and putting it in the freezer. I make large spheres but also have a large cube mold. Unfortunately the large cubes won't fit into any of my crystal whisky glasses.

1789937557576.webp
 
Those are nice. Now you need the right ice, unless you prefer your whisky neat. I have been playing around with making clear ice the last couple of years. The molds are relatively cheap and the process not overly complicated but it's not quite as simple as filling up the mold with water and putting it in the freezer. I make large spheres but also have a large cube mold. Unfortunately the large cubes won't fit into any of my crystal whisky glasses.

View attachment 4216363
My solution might be viewed as lazy ... I keep my drinking glasses in the freezer rather than make or use ice. Frozen glasses provides some chill to the scotch without diluting it.
Note that my bride limits my freezer space to my glass only, because she wants the space for food. Downside is company sees me as being poor host ... I pull my frosted glass out of the freezer and theirs from the cabinet. Since I rarely have company, this is not enough of an issue to be concerned with. But for others (i.e., with friends and popular), this might be a non-starter
 
While we were in the mountains this summer, the Mrs and I took a tour of a Simon Pearce factory in Oakland Md. This particular store has a retail storefront and a glassblowing facility that sits in the old Bausch and Lomb factory just outside of Oakland.

Curious to see the glass blowing facility, I left Ms Revenge to ogle the crystal and chat with the store manager.

If you’ve never seen the process I highly recommend it. It’s old world fascinating and the heat around the furnaces is a certain cure for the common night out with the boys..😎

I watched several teams working in pairs turn out some beautiful pieces. Afterward, I made my way back to the storefront. The manager was wearing a very satisfied smile on her face and the Mrs had a large bag sitting on the counter.

A classic misdirection move executed beautifully…Salute Ms Revenge, well played.

I packed the bag carefully in the Princess Mobile where it remained safe, secure and out of mind.

Until two days ago.

The Tundra was warming up in the drive and I was loading up a shotgun I’d cleaned for CB when out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of movement as Ms Revenge came up on my blind side. Normally this would have triggered an adrenaline surge and my flight response. But, before I could exfil through the back seat, she held out a small box marked “Simon Pearce”… “What’s this?” I asked warily scanning the bushes for a hidden news crew. “Oh it’s just something for OUR Camp” she
Cooed sweetly before turning and making her way back into the house.

First it was Pillow shams, then a fuzzy woobie and now a set of hand blown Old Fashioned glasses. I think it’s a coup in the making. I’m starting to rethink this whole indoor plumbing idea.

Technically, I think they’re “Double old Fashioned” glasses. Planning on a test flight this later this fall. In the mean time, they’re taking up residence in the Captains Lounge. :cheers:

View attachment 4215837

View attachment 4215838
1 year of shenanigans coming up in November. Great time to toast!
 
1 year of shenanigans coming up in November. Great time to toast!


Sheeeee-nani-gans indeed… 🍀

I am the great slow King. Feels/seems like it’s been longer. OCT 19, 2025 we set the batter boards. OCT 21, 2025 we turned the 1st shovel of dirt.

Thanks for reminding me. I marked the 19th on the calendar as an official shenanigan(s) observation day..😉
 
Ended up buying a Westinghouse IGen12000TFc inverter. Tri-fuel LNG/Natural Gas/Petrol. Electric start (w/remote).

Last week I ran it on the propane tit for about 1/2 an hour. Surprisingly quiet. Also picked up the all weather kit. No review just yet. The jury is out until I run it long term. An operating platform is in the spit/in the dirt stage.

I’ll try and use it a few times before hunting season to get a better feel.

IMG_7597.webp


IMG_7598.webp


IMG_7595.webp


IMG_7594.webp
 
Managed another coat of poly on the bathroom shelves and moved them to their rightful permanent location.

IMG_7603.webp
 
Bring the balance back.

OCB was finishing up the vanity plumbing today. Made the determination that two old phat guys can’t fit under the sink so I took to improving my fighting position. Running amok with the sharp stick hunting theme.

Remounted “Steve” center stage as the rightful Monarch of the Glen. 😎

Started framing out the area around the panel box (pics to follow). Going to leave it unfinished for now just to be sure my new favorite electrician doesn’t need additional elbow room later when he finishes up wiring for the inverter.

IMG_7604.webp


IMG_7605.webp
 
My solution might be viewed as lazy ... I keep my drinking glasses in the freezer rather than make or use ice. Frozen glasses provides some chill to the scotch without diluting it.
Note that my bride limits my freezer space to my glass only, because she wants the space for food. Downside is company sees me as being poor host ... I pull my frosted glass out of the freezer and theirs from the cabinet. Since I rarely have company, this is not enough of an issue to be concerned with. But for others (i.e., with friends and popular), this might be a non-starter
Community note: When you offer me whiskey I will never comment on the receptacle you pour it into (provided the pour is of sufficient volume). Neat, ice, water, it's your whiskey, you do you.
 
I meant to post this up yesterday and it slipped through the cracks.

On the Meade Hall tract there are several persimmon trees around my stand and a few around the cabins. Normally, they sweeten and drop (mostly) after the 1st frost. This year it’s raining persimmons. Taste test verified they’re ripe already.

This time of year I’ll have a few green ones on the ground liberated by the wind. Pretty sure the early drop is the reason I have “porch deer” hanging out.

Said all that to ask this: Anyone else experiencing this with their fruit bearing trees? (Wild or domestic?)


August/September this year has been the wettest in recent memory. Factor?

IMG_7606.webp
 
Yes, excessive rain is bad for fruit during the latter stage of ripening. That's the short answer.

Initially, I’d chalked it up to a non sequitur event without considering the excessive rainfall. Currently, the persimmons are the only fruit bearing trees that produce.

No effect on the nut trees (hickory, oak, walnut) other than they’re unusually large this year. Acorns in particular are large and fleshy. 👍🏻
 
I have a Persimmon tree dropping fruit here in Virginia Beach. It has been a hot dry summer until just recently. Saw an article on Hemorrhagic Disease this year is going to be bad because of the heat and lack of rain this summer. Hope y'all miss that.

I saw where a large portion of the counties in Virginia were experiencing drought conditions.

EHD was really bad here too the+season before last.

Just yesterday I saw a buck in our backyard for the first time since the spring of 2025 (pic). In the past we would have 10-12 bucks moving in and around the property feeding in the field or on the deer “cookie”. Last winter, two late season orphans were the extent of the herd.

IMG_3828.webp
 
The only way forward is to go back.

Very short day on the hill. Late start and a partial crew should have been a sign. CB is MIA. He’ll probably turn up at the VFW in his underwear (again) Saturday or Sunday. Accessing the situation, OCB and I cross loaded equipment, materials and vehicles and headed east.

In order to move forward with the porch roof, the temporary rail had to come off. Managed to coax ten years or so out of the temp solution.

The problem is the all thread holding it all together had other plans. Spent some time (+) dismantling everything IOT move forward with “the new plan”. 😁 Pry bar, hammer, punch, bigger hammer, sawz-all, impact gun all had a turn at persuading the rail it was time to retire. In the end, a twenty foot chain and a Ford Super duty was the tool of choice. There’s no replacement for displacement.

Squared up the decking to within a reasonable tolerance and started on the new plan.

So, not such a productive morning in terms of the visual satisfaction stimulus bump. But, it did clear the way for a concerted effort Monday AM.

Rain delays, an AWOL and the unyielding all thread set us back this week. Current forecast is calling for decent weather into late next week. Remaining cautiously optimistic 🙄.

1790372114464.webp


IMG_7610.webp


IMG_7611.webp
 
I guess it’s legal to tuck this in under the Meade Hall (hunting camp 😁) thread.

Going high tech-ish on the hill. Picked up my first ever game cam. Decided on the Moultrie line as my test mule. I’ve used their feeder products for years. In the past, I simply enjoyed not knowing what to expect.

After back to back years of EHD (24-25 seasons) I’m more than a little curious about the recovery/health and density of the population on the hill. I posted earlier about the our yard deer population. Our home county was directly across from the epicenter in SW Ohio and the effect here was profound.

Anyway curiosity got the better of me this year. The Hall, while a noble endeavor, has cut into my normal scouting efforts.

My decision criteria included cost, features (solar included), customer service and lastly product reviews.

Decided the Moultrie Edge 4 solar cellular trail cam would be my entry into world of “tech-ish” hunting/management.

I charged the included battery using only the internal solar array. I’m headed out on the hill tomorrow to mow and set up the camera. I’ll post up a review/findings later.

IMG_7607.webp


IMG_7608.webp
 
I've had good luck with the Spypoint cameras. I'm sure you will be fine but just in case you ever start looking at alternatives. In fact, I'm guessing that Moultrie doesn't make their cameras and yours looks suspiciously close to this Spypoint variant:

 
yours looks suspiciously close to this Spypoint variant:

Gonna go out on a limb here and say, it looks like they’re probably made in the same factory..🤣💯

1790440989104.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom