The Meade Hall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just spent 4 days reading this thread from start to finish. Well worth the time and effort for your linguistic stylings alone! The Ms. family is in Dodridge county, and they have about 500 acres. I always wanted to build a camp put there. Instead I have a camp in Mississippi and just moved to Texas. I spent the weekend tilling and planting food plots, and the requisite cleaning of the tractor afterwards!

IMG_4358.webp

IMG_4360.webp

IMG_4363.webp
 
Just spent 4 days reading this thread from start to finish. Well worth the time and effort for your linguistic stylings alone! The Ms. family is in Dodridge county, and they have about 500 acres. I always wanted to build a camp put there. Instead I have a camp in Mississippi and just moved to Texas. I spent the weekend tilling and planting food plots, and the requisite cleaning of the tractor afterwards!

View attachment 4223994
View attachment 4223995
View attachment 4223996


From the porch of the Meade Hall, I can throw a rock and hit Dodridge County. 500 acres is a fair chunk of ground in the Land of Nod. Wirt and Dodridge start the slow ascent into the Appalachian chain. Not too steep yet but, not for the faint of heart..😉

I know Tejas grows a nice whitetail, how bout Mississippi?

I need to reseed next spring. I’m using a pasture mix mostly for the red and white clover.

Nice tractor!
 
Chipping away at the stone.

CB at his craft. Took some finessing to mount the doors. A little hand planing and sanding was in order. Cut the hinge seats by hand so it took a little time to get them to cooperate. The large pantry door was the obstinate sister at the dance. It always seems to be the small bites that take the longest to chew. But, all said and done, it’s coming together. Disclaimer: The large pantry top door is not officially hung. Had to have a reason to bring CB back out this Friday 😉.

I’m holding off on a full on appliance array. They’ll just winter over without use. My home made former bar top will also stay in place until relieved of duty next spring. I’ve other fish to fry with the $$$.

IMG_7650.webp


IMG_7655.webp


IMG_7651.webp


IMG_7654.webp
 
Build it and “they” will come.

Finished up the last bit of trim yesterday. Has a very cabin-esque feel to it. At 8x8 it’s anything but roomy but, it has all the essentials.

I debuted the finished pictures last PM to Ms Revenge. Her closing comment with regard to the addition of the modern facilities was, “I can’t wait to go out”.

Like a moth to flame 😂.

IMG_7647.webp


IMG_7648.webp
 
Last edited:
Getting down to the wee bits.

Closing in on some of the smaller items on the punch list. I staked my claim to the captains quarters.

Also installed/replaced light switch and receptacle covers throughout the Hall. I’m one receptacle shy of mission complete. There was a lurker in the washroom closet I forgot about 🙄. Still need covers for the GFS in the kitchen and bath. I need to stop by the big ticket store this Friday anyway to pick up one last T/G board for the kitchen.

Lastly, I test hung some remaining pics. Circa 1924 expedition to Everest. It’s a fascinating story worth the wall space in the Hall.

Heading out this AM to pickup metal for the porch roof. Should finish up the porch roof today. Progress pics later.

If I can navigate my way through the nuances of adding a video to this thread I’ll do a documentary walk through at some point.

IMG_7656.webp


IMG_7653.webp


IMG_7652.webp
 
Last edited:
A roof to die for.


Had the tundra idling in the parking lot of the metal shop @0800. Loaded, the strapped down and back on the road by 0815.

We were marking the sheets on the saw horses in prep for pre-drilling ops at 0900. 👍🏻

OCB giving me one of those “It’s your roof and one of us old phat arthritic codgers needs to be top side straddling a 2x6. IT’S YOUR ROOF and I’m not falling of and breaking my neck” looks, casually says “Do you want me on the roof?”

“No, it’s my roof” I mumble under my breath. Silently giving thanks to my maker it’s not an 8/12 pitch and 95* F.

“You sure, I don’t mind at all. You be careful up there” he says, unable to stifle a look of unchecked relief.

It’s been awhile since I’ve played the part of a metal roof ballerina. Happy to say there were no casualties to report and the roof is on (-) trim pieces and the zippered 10” boot for the triple wall stove pipe.

I liken the day to the mating of hippos in the wild. There was a lot of grunting, huffing and puffing. Had to reposition at least a hundred times, eternally thankful no one was watching and when it was finally over, I didn’t want to do it again until next mating season..😎

Big day on the hill tomorrow. I’ll have CB and OCB on station. Probably assign roofing duties to the dynamic duo and I’ll muddle through a litany of mundane tasks.

Post script:

Things are heating up on the hill.

IMG_7657.webp



IMG_7658.webp


1791501191056.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom