The Bicycle Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Someone say bikes?!
FFD341F1-B620-4C0F-8FF0-85B353ECA383.jpeg

The better off half to Florida with 14 of her coworkers for a JDRF charity ride.
57C52677-082C-418C-95D2-89617A2C244D.jpeg

So cool

Well, in an effort to get George out on same trails on two wheels I decided to look at some MTBs. Quick glance found this one and jumped on it. Always had Cannondale bikes back in my previous days so felt good about this one. Specs below:

2007 Scalpel 2.0
Deore LX front and rear shifters
SRAM X7 front derailer
SRAM X5 rear derailer
Deore XT crank
Race Face Chester platform pedals
Shimano BR-M486 hydraulic brakes
Lefty DLR2 front shock. Recently serviced.
Fox RP23 rear shock
Sells Italia saddle
Maximus FSA bar
Serra’s lock on grips
Sunringle MTX 33 front wheel with lefty hub
WTB FX28 rear wheel with Deoro hub
Brand new WTB Velociraptor 2.1 tires setup tubeless

Also got a 29” Velocity Blunt SL front wheel with lefty hub and like new Maxxis Minion SS tire to go 29 if needed.

Will take a few rides to get use to lefty fork but I’m excited to get on some trails soon.

1C1916F5-ACA1-4951-A71C-2992EB693D5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, in an effort to get George out on same trails on two wheels I decided to look at some MTBs. Quick glance found this one and jumped on it. Always had Cannondale bikes back in my previous days so felt good about this one. Specs below:

2007 Scalpel 2.0
SRAM X7 front derailer
SRAM X5 rear derailer
Deore XT crank
Fox RP23 rear shock
Sells Italia saddle
Maximus FSA bar
Serra’s lock on grips

Also got a 29” Velocity Blunt SL front wheel with lefty hub and like new Maxxis Minion SS tire to go 29 if needed.

Will take a few rides to get used to lefty fork but I’m excited to get on some trails soon.

View attachment 2189214
Very cool!

2007 Scalpel 2.0
SRAM X7 front derailer
SRAM X5 rear derailer
Deore XT crank
Fox RP23 rear shock
Sells Italia saddle
Maximus FSA bar
Serra’s lock on grips

Will take a few rides to get use to lefty fork but I’m excited to get on some trails soon.

View attachment 2190458
There are several local trails in Charleston. Francis Marion Nat’l forest offers the Swamp Fox trail, Biggin Creek in Moncks Corner off of Hwy 52, Wanamaker North Trail, in Goose Creek (off of the back side of Wanamaker Park) - accessible from Westview Blvd. my personal favorite, but requires a pass from the Moral Welfare & Recreation Dept on the NWS (May take 2 weeks to process) is Marrington Plantation. 19 miles of very well developed trails on the base property. There is also a new trail that is being developed in Summerville, the Sawmill Branch Trail. (Yes, I like a fat tired MT bike, also).

There are several local trails in Charleston. Francis Marion Nat’l forest offers the Swamp Fox trail, Biggin Creek in Moncks Corner off of Hwy 52, Wanamaker North Trail, in Goose Creek (off of the back side of Wanamaker Park) - accessible from Westview Blvd. my personal favorite, but requires a pass from the Moral Welfare & Recreation Dept on the NWS (May take 2 weeks to process) is Marrington Plantation. 19 miles of very well developed trails on the base property. There is also a new trail that is being developed in Summerville, the Sawmill Branch Trail. (Yes, I like a fat tired MT bike, also).

Let’s plan to get some rides in Eric. Gentlemen I purchased bike from had a nice lifted and built GX but he was actually selling it that day as well. He mentioned NWS and Sawmill trails.

This kind of satisfies the old, the new, and the used to have categories in Johns original post here all in one. Kinda crazy and cool how far tech has come but it has been 25 years :lol:

Pretty certain a 1992 stumpjumper pro model
Msrp $1180 o_O
Back when double butted and chromoly were big buzz words in the industry and suntour still made bike parts instead of trains.

I saved up and bought one and my dad thought it was a huge mistake a year before i get my liscense but figures hed get one too. This is his i just got back from the neighbor they gave to many years ago. Its all original minus the slicks i added for the neighbor and the oury grips and big a** bar ends aka tree hooks we both added day one in the shop.

Crazy how expensive it was for a rigid frame with thumb shifters and cantilever brakes, 1” headtube etc. Maybe specialized has a museum and will swap me for a new one so they can add to their NOS collection. This probably has 200 miles. A trip to tsali, a tour de tanglewood and maybe 5 laps around the neighborhood haha

Check out that geometry.
B0733764-5CE0-4198-986C-08AA0701EA00.jpeg
863040F0-E510-44E3-97B0-C4D8CC6C9A68.jpeg
341AFFBC-937C-4112-B66B-6FD49BE5F1CA.jpeg

This kind of satisfies the old, the new, and the used to have categories in Johns original post here all in one. Kinda crazy and cool how far tech has come but it has been 25 years :lol:

Pretty certain a 1992 stumpjumper pro model
Msrp $1180 o_O
Back when double butted and chromoly were big buzz words in the industry and suntour still made bike parts instead of trains.

I saved up and bought one and my dad thought it was a huge mistake a year before i get my liscense but figures hed get one too. This is his i just got back from the neighbor they gave to many years ago. Its all original minus the slicks i added for the neighbor and the oury grips and big a** bar ends aka tree hooks we both added day one in the shop.

Crazy how expensive it was for a rigid frame with thumb shifters and cantilever brakes, 1” headtube etc. Maybe specialized has a museum and will swap me for a new one so they can add to their NOS collection. This probably has 200 miles. A trip to tsali, a tour de tanglewood and maybe 5 laps around the neighborhood haha

Check out that geometry.
View attachment 2199226View attachment 2199227View attachment 2199228
Statesville has a mountain bike museam. Really cool stuff in there while being a full bike shop as well.

First mtb in 1988 was a Trek 800. Got stolen. Then trek 4000. Then some diamond bike race mtb. Then purple carbon stump jumper. (It was on sale). Then 15 years goes by like that and it is 2011. Specialized Epic FSR 29er. Felt like I was riding a motorcycle. Full suspension, 29 inch wheels and disc brakes. Sold that. Now 2012 Full Carbon Specialized Epic Carbon comp off craigs with upgrades.

Last edited:
Forgot to update this with two new additions!

I picked up a new road bike about 6 months ago to replace my tired old Focus Cayo Evo. New ride is a Tonic Fabrications Vanishing Point. It's a blast!
E6C34828-7A90-442C-B7CE-9CA0BED81615.JPG

Then, after a few years of not having a mountain bike, I finally have one in the fleet. Salsa Timberjack 27.5+ -- yes it's pink. This thing is a jack of all trades shred sled. Really wondering why I didn't get this sooner. The price point is also really hard to beat if anyone is in the market for an all-around hardtail. I was looking at Santa Cruz Chameleon as well and honestly enjoyed this a bit more (plus it was about $600 cheaper).

3E1433A1-1D7A-469C-B218-C0708745E25D.JPG

E6C34828-7A90-442C-B7CE-9CA0BED81615.JPG

going to post this in the funny pics too. too good not to

OK, so when's the first official ONSC Bike Oriented Camping/Biking trip? (Thinking the same for Kayaking!)
I'm game. I've got to build my endurance back up again. Riding once every 3 months just doesn't do it.

@GarnerFJ40 I don't know your experience level. I've been riding seriously since 2004 and done every trail in the Triangle at least once including Uwharrie MTB trails. Uwharrie was on a single speed rigid with less than stellar brakes and I literally almost died out there. I've never been further west than that. I'm still single speed but front suspension and much nicer Shimano XT brakes.

Frame crack on my old ‘02 GT Idrive had me looking for another bike. After a long search I found this 2012 Gary Fisher HiFi Pro:
D43FF05C-17C2-4071-9A99-982084393428.jpeg
EDECF304-CAC7-4FE6-991F-71A53887B2AF.jpeg
A1B7C452-7C36-4AC4-92E0-736E059055C2.jpeg

@roadstr6 Are those just palm swells on the grips or do they serve some other purpose?
They are strictly a comfort thing. Extra shock absorption keeps your fingers from going numb. They work great. I have a set on my old bike and I was happy to see the the PO of this bike had added them as well.

@roadstr6 Are those just palm swells on the grips or do they serve some other purpose?
Ergon grips. I have them on my bike and installed them mainly because I had no suspension. I've gotten used to them over the years and tried switching back to round grips only to find them very uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom