The Bicycle Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, I'm trying to get back into running and biking. Lately the weather hasn't been the best for the trails so I've been concentrating on the treadmill.

My daughter wanted to get outside on something other than her skateboard so dusted off the old Ritchey and lowered the saddle. So awesome to see her riding it around.

IMG_20200317_132415.jpg
MVIMG_20200317_123404.jpg

@Pick nice - what brand and model bike is that? What is the suspension travel? Is it all mountain or more xc geometry?

@Pick nice - what brand and model bike is that? What is the suspension travel? Is it all mountain or more xc geometry?
Competitive Cyclist had a close-out sale on the Ibis Ripley LS v3 frames last fall. I had a Kona Honzo (hardtail) that I REALLY liked but my back complained after riding it so I bought the Ripley and swapped all my parts over then sold the Honzo frame.

Rear is 120mm and I have a 130mm fork up front. Here's their marketing quote:
Ultra fast and efficient 29” trail bike with 2.6” tire capability.
By no means an XC racer but I've been considerably faster on it than my other 120mm FS from 2012

I'm still trying to get used to the "LS" Low & Slack geometry especially the bottom bracket, I tend to have a few more pedal strikes than before but otherwise LOVE it.

BTW, I'm trying to get back into running and biking. Lately the weather hasn't been the best for the trails so I've been concentrating on the treadmill.

Jonathan, I think I mentioned I spent 6 months in Denmark riding 9 miles each way to work. So, I got used to biking, and then spent a few hours each weekend on their singletrack. I should have stuck with it, but you know how life goes.

Now that I'm out of school, I want to get back on it. Bought a Elite Zumo trainer and a Trek 1000 road bike for getting some seat time in. But again, life.

Now that it's a little warmer, I spend some time each week on the Neuse River Trail with a few co-workers doing about 12-15 miles of easy flatness. I need to make some time each weekend to make it out to Crabtree, SanLee, Harris, or 287.

I'm curious, as I was talking with jaeco at the Meet and Greet, and didn't know the Uwharrie trails were so close to Kenny and Lydias!

Today. We all need to go ride. 😎

D76773D2-1D7B-4A0B-91DB-55EFCF810F71.png

Jonathan, I think I mentioned I spent 6 months in Denmark riding 9 miles each way to work. So, I got used to biking, and then spent a few hours each weekend on their singletrack. I should have stuck with it, but you know how life goes.

Now that I'm out of school, I want to get back on it. Bought a Elite Zumo trainer and a Trek 1000 road bike for getting some seat time in. But again, life.

Now that it's a little warmer, I spend some time each week on the Neuse River Trail with a few co-workers doing about 12-15 miles of easy flatness. I need to make some time each weekend to make it out to Crabtree, SanLee, Harris, or 287.

I'm curious, as I was talking with jaeco at the Meet and Greet, and didn't know the Uwharrie trails were so close to Kenny and Lydias!
3 minutes away from the barn. These are tough trails with long up's and down's.

3 minutes away from the barn. These are tough trails with long up's and down's.

Can you ride from their creek to the trail? or do you have to drive?

Can you ride from their creek to the trail? or do you have to drive?
Yeah but it's a long uphill ride from the BP to the trailhead.

Oh no, what I meant was could you leave from the back camping pad on their property near the creek, to the closest portion of the trail? Red "barn" is Kenny and Lydia's inside the rough pentagon. The remaining area is all Uwharrie NFS land.

I know the military has used the property to access the Forest, just wondered if an existing hiking trail might be there. I know Shandor brings his bikes, and likes camping back there. I was just wondering if there was a coincidence in that or not :hmm:...

Rough orienteering of the map looks like maybe 0.5-0.75 miles around the hill to the trail.

1584553920755.png

Google maps

Oh no, what I meant was could you leave from the back camping pad on their property near the creek, to the closest portion of the trail? Red "barn" is Kenny and Lydia's inside the rough pentagon. The remaining area is all Uwharrie NFS land.

I know the military has used the property to access the Forest, just wondered if an existing hiking trail might be there. I know Shandor brings his bikes, and likes camping back there. I was just wondering if there was a coincidence in that or not :hmm:...

Rough orienteering of the map looks like maybe 0.5-0.75 miles around the hill to the trail.

View attachment 2242412

Google maps
It's about a mile to the trail through the woods and over the streams and carrying the bikes.

So you've done it before!

I might know someone who has.

The short answer is NO.

The trail is approximately 1000 meters straight line distance to the barn. that requires you climb a hilltop then back the other side and then cross two creeks that are rocky but usually mostly dry.
you can walk around the hilltop to avoid climbing over it but that will increase your distance by about 200-300 meters depending on your route. The terrain is mostly sparse enough during this time of year but in about a month it will be pretty overgrown make it a pain in the butt to traverse especially going through the draws where the creeks are and even more of a pain in the butt hauling a bike with you.

I would just drive to the trail head off of 24/27. that is your best bet.

no, google maps has a scale. I've walked back there a few times with my 10/22 to plink around. It's certainly isn't a route I would want to take to get to the trails. On top of that, you have to come back the same way you came after riding for many miles.

Ready to float and NEW BIKE DAY! AKA Christmas morning for this adult
BBD22D64-CC41-474E-ACD6-6F91EE8B4E76.jpeg
DD40EF86-60CC-4BBA-9840-1A8577516221.jpeg

@pkniland details on all dat. Kayaks. And new bike.

@pkniland details on all dat. Kayaks. And new bike.
Santa Cruz Chameleon 27.5+. Kayaks I’ve had for awhile, headed to Uwharrie for a ride and a float tomorrow

San Lee mtb park in Sanford is awesome.

DCAA22B6-CF2A-4970-BA5F-33CB88F2854E.jpeg

032294DF-2ACC-4B1D-8EFD-8B4EA1001596.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom