Build The Architect's '77 FJ40

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@GA Architect you know…when it works, it stays. I was recently turned on to a set of headers and exhaust system as a complete unit…top to bottom.. It really is a super nice set of parts. I will likely be ordering a set , but….my intake and exhaust as it is, is performing flawlessly and I just hate to break it down which means undoing my hard earned perfect running EFI…

It may not mean anything beyond superstition but in my 65 years of “tinkering” I have watched things like this go south right in front of my eyes. In other words, I’d hate to jinx it
 
@GA Architect you know…when it works, it stays. I was recently turned on to a set of headers and exhaust system as a complete unit…top to bottom.. It really is a super nice set of parts. I will likely be ordering a set , but….my intake and exhaust as it is, is performing flawlessly and I just hate to break it down which means undoing my hard earned perfect running EFI…

It may not mean anything beyond superstition but in my 65 years of “tinkering” I have watched things like this go south right in front of my eyes. In other words, I’d hate to jinx it
I was one of the first to purchase the Trimeki header....then later, went ahead and purchased the exhaust system too. It sure is a good looking system and some serious craftsmanship! But, like you, I can't bring myself to redo something that is performing so well. Eh, when the time comes and it is needed, I have the Whole Enchilada!!!! :smokin:
 
Glad to see the distributor is still doing well.
You and I both! Heck, I don't think I've cracked that sucker open since I installed it back in January, 2020. What type of service interval (cap & rotor) do those have?
 
You and I both! Heck, I don't think I've cracked that sucker open since I installed it back in January, 2020. What type of service interval (cap & rotor) do those have?
I'm not sure, it's been so long since I sold my '84 FJ60. I'll check my maintenance spreadsheet later this morning. I don't think I've replaced the cap and rotor on the FJ60 distributor that's installed in my '76 FJ40 since I initially refurbished it - it's been more than 10 years, but I don't drive it much.
 
Just been enjoying driving it the past few months. It is coming up on an oil change here soon, so there is that. :hillbilly:

IMG_7951.webp
 
Is this a fabbed up project or a kit? I might need this in my life!
This is my homemade concoction, see my post #2292 & #2293 for a few more photos. I still need to modify the black powder coated unit I have and repaint the bracket.
 
@GA Architect … I didn't know you are running a Hyperspark Distributor . Noticed the display.
 
@GA Architect … I didn't know you are running a Hyperspark Distributor . Noticed the display.
When I installed the Sniper, I installed the FJ60 dizzy that I had refurbished. The distributer is actually the original unit that came with the '86 2F I purchased and had rebuilt back in 2015.

Note, the 'Ignition Timing Degrees' isn't accurate on my display screen.
 
Oh,,,,,, THEN, it’s time to switch !!!😉
 
Sniper update: After driving, I've been smelling fuel in the engine compartment for a few months and could never really locate it. Last night, after a short test drive, I finally found the culprit:

IMG_8019.webp
..
IMG_8022.webp


IMG_8021.webp
..
IMG_8020.webp


I put a 3/16" allen wrench on that fuel bowl plug, which only appeared to be very lightly installed, and snugged it up. I cleaned up the intake and the heat shield as needed. Also replaced the dry-rotted 3/8" rubber vacuum plug.

After my trip into the office this morning. The fuel bowl plug was dry!
 
Sighhh....this is.the only FJ40 engine compartment that never gets even a little dusty
 
Back
Top Bottom