Summit smoothies wheels... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Backspacing is wrong. Has to be a good inexpensive vintage wheel out there that we are missing out on.

I want to bring in my trucks with the great looking real split 15 in and 16 inch but they are old wheels and impossible to balance and I hate it but I just need to give up on them. Getting too much vibration at speed. I will do the reproduction 15 inchers with the hubcaps but I also want to look for some simple basice gray wheels too. 82 FJ43 with 15 inch splits with 31 inch tires. Too much vibration and I am certain they will not be able to balance them correctly.

IMG_7361.JPG

Charlie for 16" I think that summit gets the rims from Stockton Wheel... You can go right to them and order them with the correct BS

Also old chevy style rims you can get new and just need to open up the center hole a bit... Read thru this link:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/steelies-for-fj40-series.842042/

Also here is a picture of correct bs Stockton rims... Owner of this cruiser is @Jacket

Think they are the series 22 rims?

image.jpg

I've looked at these too.

They sell those smoothies with a 3.5 (or 3.65in) backspacing as well, but I think they're only 6 inches wide. They're actually produced by Wheel Vintiques, out of CA. If you call them directly, they'll custom build them to any backspacing/size you want. I gave them a call and the price for custom was high - about $170 per wheel, I think.

There was also a post recently referencing a place that does custom sized, stock-clone, cruiser wheels for TLC/ICON. I think it's the "unobtanium" thread, but not sure. I believe they were about 250-per, but they are backspaced properly and come in 16-inch, for more tire size options.

Wow. thanks guys. I like the 15 inch oem hubcap wheels too. but I also really like the option of 16 inch rims. I have done 2 FJ43s now where we very slightly lifted them (one more leaf in the rear) and did our own 16 inch rims with 265/75/16 tires. That tire size is perfect and the trucks ride great (mainly due to FJ43 probably). We made these rims out of hilux barrels and used the original style clips and welded them on. The centers are real toyota 15 inch centers. Too much work! However I think we all need more classic looking options and I prefer to do new.

265 tire size is just perfect. sits a touch lower than a lifted 33 by 10.5 by 15 truck and at around 76 inches or so barely fits perfectly into a standard garage (around 79 inches).

IMG_7938.JPG

Best bet is 15 inch hubcap oem reproduction but I do really like just plain gray too as an option and really like the 16 inch tire choices better.

Here is the same FJ43 with 16 inch rims 265 tires and no hubcaps. I think for the right truck this looks great too.

Frustrating as I love the 7.50 x 16 on original split rims look but just drove my 78 FJ43 with that set up and she still vibrates at speeds over 40mph. We will see.

IMG_6917.JPG

with a more aggressive mud tire this is perfect as is.

Plain jane Toyota 15 inchers on a 1974 FJ43. 31 inch tires. Anyhow was looking for affordable 15 or 16 inch new option. I personally like the gray either with or without the hubcaps. My clients want the old look but don't want to hear about vibrations at speed etc. Very hard to find perfect 30 or 40 old rims that have been running on South American roads and have not taken a hard hit! This truck was very original and ran to 60 mph no issues. You can see the weights on the rims. I think I have given up on the beautiful 16 inch split rims. They are hard to balance.

oldgrey-74-fj43-heath-gray-0003.jpg

Charlie my split rims have equal tire balancer inside of the tubes... They are essentially self balancing

I can't recall what amount went into each tube... But if you have a equal dealer/truck shop by you they install very cheap... Worth a shot if you have split rims at your disposal ...

I haven't ballenced my rims since installing it... 17+ years ago?

I just transfer the tubes to my next set of tires...

Just another option for ya :)

x2 on the original wheels. I had mine blasted and powder coated. The rims are original to the '77 FJ-40 and the rims are just slightly out of true which requires a lot of weights to balance. I think I will save up for some new original wheels.

Just bought smoothie chrome wheel as my spare from summit racing. It will take more prep to paint, but the chrome ones are available in up to 2.5" backspacing right from summit racing in case anyone is interested. So I got a 15"x8" wheel with 2.5" backspacing.

How do you like this wheel? Thinking about buying a set of these for some 35 x 12.5’s. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
How did you like this wheel? Thinking about buying a set of these for some 35 x 12.5’s. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Its just been my spare but has worked fine. With your machining equipment I bet you could install factory hub cap clips onto them. I think US wheel makes them. You may be able to call them and get them unpainted without chrome if you want to paint them. I painted over the chrome on this one, and despite all the scuffing of the chrome I did, Im pretty sure if it was other than a spare the paint would flake off.

Its just been my spare but has worked fine. With your machining equipment I bet you could install factory hub cap clips onto them. I think US wheel makes them. You may be able to call them and get them unpainted without chrome if you want to paint them. I painted over the chrome on this one, and despite all the scuffing of the chrome I did, Im pretty sure if it was other than a spare the paint would flake off.

Ok, thanks for your response. That’s what I was thinking, I could indicate the holes for the clips. I think this would be a much easier/cheaper option than widening the factory wheels. If I can’t find these bare, I’ll probably blast and powder coat them anyways.

Do you think 2.5” backspacing is the best option for SOA with 35”x12.5”

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom