Steering dampner, drag link & tie rod upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching on here, I know this has to have been discussed, but I can't find it.

I have a 1991 fj80. I just got it and am fixing her up, her history is unkown, it was gifted to me when a friend found it in an abandoned warehouse he just bought.

The steering wheel is not lined up and it pulls a little to the left. I take it in to get new tires and fix the alignment and the guys say the drag link is so seized that they can't get it off and they don't like to heat it to much because it weakens the metal. So he says he can get stock or I can upgrade, he knows I'm always looking to make things better.

I see OME dampers are good but for the tie rod and drag link and tie rod ends, who? Slee makes a good looking drag link and tie rod, worth the money? What about the ends? I plan on doing moderate off roading, more overland. I have an fj40 for serious off roading.

Slide the clamps away from the ends of the tube. Soak the threaded ends and the slit in the tube with your favorite penetrating agent. Get 2 large 3 or 4 pound hammers. Strike opposite sides of the tube simotaineously, as hard as possible around the area of the slit. Use a large ( 3 foot ) pipe wrench, or a smaller one with a long piece of pipe over the end and PULL! It is a lot of work, but you can save song serious $$ if you can get them apart. Apply heat liberally to the same areas. If there is a chance that you will replace these parts, then what's to loose?

I will sometimes also smack a punch into the slot to try open it up little more reliving the tension( you need to have the lock collar moved completely off the slot and loosened)when they are seized also use some heat I've used a good heat gun which has helped enough to get them to turn, use Toyota ends or 555 ends from cruiser outfitters, if you use the 555 paint them once installed so they don't rust up

My rod ends are by joint Fuji. Bought them from Spector. You could buy a better set of used rods from CruiserYard or Cruiserparts.com. There is no sense in spending over $200 on HD rods if you won't be wheeling it hard.

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit sells the Japanese made 555 rod ends. I used these on my 80 when I swapped to BudBuilt DOM rods. OME for the steering dampener.

Steering is one of the places I try not to skimp on my 80 or 40. I want it to be right and safe.

If you need new rods the OEM rods [edit: do not] come with ends. @beno can hook you with those.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification @cruiseroutfit.

Last edited:
My tie rods would only come off with Acetylene, Vise, and Pipe Wrench, then I had to chase the threads on Rod with a tap.
Just to let you know what you might be getting into.
I replaced TRE with 555 (Moog Brand ~$30 each).

Unless you are worried about bending them while rock-crawling or something extreme, I'd say the OE parts are perfect for the job and they're not too expensive considering the life you get from them.

I've done both mine and the wifes 80. On hers it took two of us standing on pipe wrenches to finally break the rod ends loose (see pain in the ass). On mine I didn't feel like going through that trouble. I called @sleeoffroad and ordered up the new drag link and inner tie rod. I had an entire box of 555 TRE's left over from @cruiseroutfit . Its about a 30 minute job to pop the old ones, set the new ends, then lay them in and torque to spec. I am holding off on doing the drag link, waiting for @reevesci of Trail Tailor to receive his order of stabilizers so I can try out one of the adjustable's.

We stock the 555 Japanese ends as well as the OEM Toyota!

Fwiw the replacement tubes from Toyota DO NOT come with a single end like the 4x/6x

We also stock complete new rods with ends both in OEM Toyota and can make you a deal with new 555 ends :cool:

8x Series Replacement Links/Tubes (OEM Toyota)

Tie Rod - Fits 1990-1997 8x Series LHD/RHD - Part# TRET60110 - $159.50
Drag Link - Fits 1990-97 8x Series LHD/RHD - Part# TRET60120 - $103.50

10% off the tubes and the ends if you order at the same time

Cruiser Outfitters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom