SOR sliding fj40 cargo windows? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The airflow in the 40 needs to improve.

I have the older hard top without pop out vent windows and I find it stifling when wheeling on a hot day. Seems like all the hot air gets trapped in the cargo area and just sits there mocking me. When im out tooling around on the roads it isnt nearly as since im moving faster.

I know I can source the pop out windows and parts to retrofit my top or even just spring for different side panels that have said pop out windows already but I happened upon the specter sliders and now theyre stuck in my head. Seems like they'd offer more of an opening compared to the pop outs as well..

So... has anyone used these and have an opinion or advice to share?

Thanks in advance!

20181105_161034.png
20181105_160942.png
20180818_122026.jpg

D

I’ve upgraded to a newer ‘81 roof on my ‘74. Having the extra ventilation makes a huge difference. Windows stay clearer when it’s wet. It’s significantly cooler when it’s hot outside. Now if I open the kick vents, no draft windows in the doors, and the rear kick out windows, it doesn’t get hotter in the truck than sitting outside in the shade.

I’d imagine SORs windows would allow more circulation... but the whole roof cost me $200 and it needed less work than the top I had. The choice was easy for me.

The opening is the same size in older tops so if you weld in a crossbar you can retrofit newer windows into your older top.

Added the 8/76 vent windows to a 73 top around thirty-five years ago. About the same time added late (79) doors and lost the vent window. The side cowl vents and rear window vents work better than cowl and front door vents. Only thing would suggest is not lock the latch on the rear window vents when off-road. Hit a branch and plastic on the latch can break. Ask me how I know.

I drove in an FJ40 that had the SOR windows and it was nice. Great air flow in summertime and better than the later style models with the little window that could open.

I've got the SOR windows. They're pricey, but they work as advertised. They are also a fairly quick and easy installation. I would say yes, they are worth it.

R91mj8qc84rMQBTptYwi3pstafFNg4y_lYOmnYpqZk3rnMT48fLiDcF8AvR90XmZAw-nZUIkdriOz16BCtUfg7-UuySSUDo4HTVmDinr6sfEnVLucPMmWad7aXy4NpaVTjxHfrq27R4=w2400

Wonder how the two styles compare. If the back of a FJ40 long enough to sleep in would think the sliding style would be nice. How both do moving air is a better comparison while driving is more important. In the early eighties when I added vent windows didn't even know about the sliding style. Bought all the pieces from a wrecking yard cheap. The large glass was broken on bought sides. Back then new glass was $17 a side from Toyota.

I have the SOR sliding windows on the Karma Cruiser. I like them a lot. When I take that rig off roading, my MO is to strap the ice chest to the roll cage, next to the window. When I want a drink and I’m outside the rig, I can easily reach in through the window to get into the cooler without having to open the tire carrier and the hatch to get in from the back.

A side benefit. ;)

When I take that rig off roading, my MO is to strap the ice chest to the roll cage, next to the window. When I want a drink and I’m outside the rig, I can easily reach in through the window to get into the cooler without having to open the tire carrier and the hatch to get in from the back.

A side benefit. ;)

I think you may have just sold another pair for SOR :D

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I've decided on the sor sliders, as a bonus a member on here has a new never installed set he's offered to me for 300. Id get a deal and avoid the huge hassle of ordering from sor from Canada.

As for the a/c, Im not a huge fan and never have been. I hardly ever use it in my dd and when i do its for the dog's benifit. I much prefer the windows down approach even if i sweat a bit. Just to put things in perspective, I drive all of 14km to work round trip and don't sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis. Offroad its windows down so a/c would be wasted.

D

Sick van FF, love the color!

D

That's a great price for those windows, jump on it!
They work great for getting the airflow though when you're moving. But.. if you're slow or stopped you loose that flow, so that's where the fans come in handy. Hot weather would be unworkable for me if it wasn't for the slider/fan combo. ...nevermind the chainfall hanging from the rollcage, it's transmission swap time. :)
B.

windows.jpeg

fans.jpeg

Great idea Brian #1, gonna look for a fan now for sure. Thanks!

Brian #2, I'd like to know about the tint as well although I'm pretty sure its not film over glass. I wasn't planning on tinting the 40 but if i do get the sliders i will tint the corner and hatch windows just so they match.

D

Brian #1, any interference with the slider and cage? Do you have any pics that show the clearance by chance? I have a metal tech in mine and was told that the window handle may hit the cage.

D

Hey guys. The glass is tinted, not a film. I was very hesitant to install tinted glass but went for it anyway, figuring I could always sell them if it bugged me that much. They actually looked a lot better than I expected, at least in my rig. I don't feel the need to tint the rest of the windows to match. Maybe the corners would look a little better tinted but I feel it's fine as it is.

No interference at all with the metal tech cage. I don't think it's even close. I'll post pics later when I get home.

The fans work well. I tried a couple cheap ones to confirm I wanted a permanent installation then ponied up a few bucks for some quality bus/truck type fans.

A front fan is nice but it seems one blowing from the back corner onto your neck and back off your head works as well or even better. It gives you a breeze where the window draft isn't helping. Probably easier to mount and less conspicuous back there too. Front can blow a little dust into your eyes when it's real dusty too.

Some days the tint looks darker than others.

image.jpg

Here’s a pic with the handle passing a Smittybilt rollbar:
image.jpg

About 5/8” of clearance.

$400 is halfway towards a set of bows If you enjoy airflow........just sayin :)

Sliding windows is sorta like walking around with your fly down......whereas bows and full length bikini is like driving around with No pants on !!! :moon:

D50985BB-C02A-4BB0-9F94-F78C492F3E8A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom