For Sale SoCal: 1969 FJ40 The Karma Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Tan
Selling vehicles is not my forte, so excuse my presentation. After 13 very enjoyable years of adventure with this great sleeper rig, it’s time for me to start downsizing my stable, and this truck is the first to go. I have a writeup in the 40 section about how I built this rig up during the ‘90s for one of my clients…and how he ended up GIVING ME THE TRUCK in 2010. I’ve put a good bit more work into it since I’ve owned it, including replacing the engine, going through the suspension and brakes again, and hunting down/changing several nuisance items to make it more comfortable for my tastes. Without further adieu , here we go!

The good: it’s a turnkey, daily driver. Although I haven’t had it off road for a year, I use it at the shop to run errands every week or two, so the battery stays charged and fluids lubricate everything regularly. I replaced the F engine with a rebuilt 2F around 2011 or 20112 It definitely pulls stronger and has no problem maintaining speed on hills. It has a rebuilt 1972 Aisan carburetor to let the air in, and a Mark’s Off Road header that I installed with the 2F in 2011 to let the air back out. I rebuilt the original 3-on-the-tree trans and transfer case back in the ‘90s for the PO, and the truck has less than 50k miles on it since. In the same timeframe, I bought and installed a brand new OE 3rd member from Toyota for the rear end. I had a heavy duty four core radiator built for it, replaced the OE fan with a Toyota 6-blade, and replaced the water pump a couple of years ago.

It has a 2.5” ProComp suspension lift on the front and custom Alcan springs on the rear. The front shackle hangers were Moved to improve the ride. The brakes were upgraded with the dual circuit master cylinder. I did a major overhaul of the front axle before my South Dakota adventure in 2019. I’m sure there’s some other stuff I’m forgetting at the moment. I’ll update the ad as the questions jog my memory.

I replaced the seats with a pair from a ‘68 that I had been holding onto for a long time, specifically because the passenger seat actually folds flat (impossible with reupholstered) and I knew that one day I would build a sleeper platform that would utilize this. I did a writeup for Toyota Trails on this truck and how the inside sleeping platform literally saved my a** in a downpour in Texas.

The truck also has a lot of accessories, including a Renegade Fabrication brush guard, a full Smittybilt rollcage, ConFerr auxiliary tank, ConFerr roofrack, ConFerr rear storage boxes and a Renegade Fabrication rear bumper, all of which I installed for the PO in the ‘90s, and all of which are still fully functional. I added an overhead console to the rollcage to mount a stereo and an an FJ55 interior dome light.

One of the last things the PO had me do was install the sliding rear windows in the hardtop, around 2008. The are very handy for accessing things while camping.😊 I don’t use them much for ventilation.

There were a couple of extra holes in the driver’s side of the cowl from a cheesy Blitz can carrier that I never got around to filling. When I saw the custom basket @spdwaver made for his 40, I decided to make my own version of it, which you can see in the opening photo. A fancy way of repurposing a couple of holes!

So, here’s an incomplete summary:
rebuilt 2F engine
Mark’s Off Road rebuilt carburetor
Mark’s Off Road header
recored high efficiency 4row radiator with Vintage Teq overflow bottle and OE 6 blade fan
Nippondenso vacuum advance distributor
OEM gear reduction starter
rebuilt 3speed transmission
rebuilt transfer case
OE replacement rear 3rd
ProComp 2.5” lift
Mark’s Off Road Double-duty shackles
Mark’s Off Road U-bolt skidplates
modified front shackle hangers
Renegade Fabrication brushguard
ConFerr roof rack
ConFerr auxiliary tank
ConFerr rear storage boxes
Renegade Fabrication rear bumper
Smittybilt rollcage
SOR sliding cargo windows
New water pump, alternator, thermostat, fuse block
replacement speedometer
billet bench seat release handles
cool retro floormats
235/85/16 tires with white wagon wheels
modified OE tire carrier

The bad. The steering box is leaking and needs to be resealed. I rebuilt the steering box back in the ‘90s, putting in a fresh sector roller bearing (now NLA) which is still working fine. The perfectionist in me doesn’t want to just try and clean it up on the truck, but pull it and do a full inspection/ adjustment. I had planned to do it since last September, but it never happened.

The choke cable is very stiff, and needs to be cleaned/replaced. It wouldn’t be a big deal except that the motor is a little cold-blooded. 15” inches of vacuum for the first couple of minutes, which isn’t quite enough to make the carburetor happy. Runs strong with 19” vacuum once it’s warmed up.

The original speedometer died around 2012 and I replaced it with a newer, used unit that uses the clip on cable. Therefore, the stated mileage is irrelevant. The turn signal switch died recently. A new one will be included.

Typical rust in the rear sill. Hasn’t changed since it came to Cali from Idaho in ‘92, mostly owing to the fact that the auxiliary tank keeps the moisture from getting in there.

The ugly. I would consider this to be a great patina rig except that the driver’s quarter panel was resprayed at some point before the PO bought it in 1992, and that one panel is still basically as shiny as it was the first time I saw it 31 years ago. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

As I said at the outset, I have had a lot of enjoyment out of this truck that I started off building for somebody else. I will always have the memories, and a few pics, but it is time to let the truck go.

Im asking $25,000 for it. You can see the truck on Google earth (it sits in front of my shop!) or by drive-by whenever you like. If you want to hear it/have me take you for a drive/make an offer, you will have to call me and make an appointment…and my time is really limited
35362BF2-0A0C-4351-9DC9-B882635133C6.jpeg

Last edited:
5AB1D842-C568-4366-85A1-59B9497344F0.jpeg

Black Hills, South Dakota 2019

Last edited:
62734E0C-E774-4B36-83F6-C518895EEB75.jpeg

El Paso’s 2016

Last edited:
0419CB2E-7891-4DA4-AF41-23DFA2E03FEC.jpeg

Katemcy Texas 2010

Last edited:
Someone will get to own a piece of TLC history here. GLWS Mark, I hope it finds the home it deserves for many more years of proper care and use.

Whoa. It's the end of an era. But whoever buys the Karma Cruiser will be starting a new chapter for an amazing Cruiser.

Having seen the Karma Cruiser in action, it is a fantastic rig. And lots of little details that make it even better.

Karma_Cruiser.jpg

An obligatory picture of the Karma Cruiser. @65swb45 leading a convoy with @Spike Strip and me to Surf-n-Turf in 2010.

Moving to Craigslist shortly.

Did a little cleanup under the hood. Adjusted price accordingly.
B7E3EF22-5CA5-4AC7-939E-A70755735902.jpeg

Mighty fine vehicle there!

Droid11-2011 331.JPG

Every one of my clients who has talked with me about it is surprised that it hasn’t sold. Knowing that it has been professionally maintained, as opposed to the ‘looker’ rigs with dozens of mechanical demons, should make this a great value for anyone able to do simple math.

Ttt. Just drove it on an errand this morning.

Nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom