Should I get All Terrain Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is June 29 to long ago to revive? Oh well....
I'm in a similar place as OP for my wife's 05 LC. I can get the Cooper AT3 for about $167 / tire after rebate on Amazon (Cheapest prices on tires btw....) or I can get the Falken Wildpeak AT3W for about $160.83 / tire also from Amazon. Both of these are in the 275/65R18 sizes. This vehicle sees about 95% asphalt use, but like OP said, if I get stuck I want it to be because of my own stupidity and not my tires.

The Falkens seem like a newer designed tire. They also have the winter certification (not that we get a lot of cold in Louisiana, but still). From what I've heard they're also quieter on the road than the Coopers.

I'm looking at that size because I want P rated and there isn't a good selection in the stock size. So this way I get slightly more rubber (smoother ride??) and don't have to worry about performance (acceleration, efficiency..do we even care at this point, and braking).

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these two tires?

Is June 29 to long ago to revive? Oh well....
I'm in a similar place as OP for my wife's 05 LC. I can get the Cooper AT3 for about $167 / tire after rebate on Amazon (Cheapest prices on tires btw....) or I can get the Falken Wildpeak AT3W for about $160.83 / tire also from Amazon. Both of these are in the 275/65R18 sizes. This vehicle sees about 95% asphalt use, but like OP said, if I get stuck I want it to be because of my own stupidity and not my tires.

The Falkens seem like a newer designed tire. They also have the winter certification (not that we get a lot of cold in Louisiana, but still). From what I've heard they're also quieter on the road than the Coopers.

I'm looking at that size because I want P rated and there isn't a good selection in the stock size. So this way I get slightly more rubber (smoother ride??) and don't have to worry about performance (acceleration, efficiency..do we even care at this point, and braking).

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these two tires?
In reality the use profile you posted is like the majority of folks with these rigs. Michelin LTX is all we really need and will serve without issue.

Now, running an all terrain because they look better and give us that off road look while having the capacity to is another story. In that case most put up with the real downside of those tires because the sizes that make sense only come in e. In this case looks over function. I pulled my 275 70 18 ko2s off and swapped my ltx set up for grins and the difference is very noticeable. It looses the cool factor for sure but for a 95% on road guy it is the best fit and performance.

I would run the p rated without hesitation in your case.

The low, in my experience, is quiet and capable on the road and bites well into mud, gravel and grass. And it looks waaaaay better to fill that wheel well.

20171120_154024.jpg

Sorry, i meant to type the KO2.. not low.

My 02 has the 16" wheels and I've got Michelin Defender LTX on them. I've debated putting the 16" wheels on my wife's 05 and putting the 18s with the Falkens on my 02.

Shouldn't be any issues with that, right? How would it affect acceleration on my 02 with the 4 speed?

My 02 has the 16" wheels and I've got Michelin Defender LTX on them. I've debated putting the 16" wheels on my wife's 05 and putting the 18s with the Falkens on my 02.

Shouldn't be any issues with that, right? How would it affect acceleration on my 02 with the 4 speed?

it's slow anyways ;) the change will be marginal, doubt you even notice.

I’m really liking my continental terrain contact ATs. It’s been about a year and 20k miles so far - they’re wearing really well, look great and don’t change your fuel economy from stock.

7C955EA1-ECB4-41DB-9C70-3600AF3BF96A.jpeg

55161D8B-6098-40E7-83A2-AD5F4A4FBC4F.jpeg

14D77148-24DF-4209-92FF-C6C83BE08804.jpeg

Most of my driving is on road - this is a more mild AT tire. Very quiet. I did get them in some ice and snow earlier this year and they performed very well. Great traction. Here’s a thread I started to document them.

Continental TerrainContact A/T

The bus story is impressive! I am still leaning towards the AT3W from Falken. The additional weight is the only downside from what I can see.

I’m running the new Cooper AT3 XLT on my 570. They have a really agessive look but ride good and a make zero noise on the HWY. I’ve been really impressed so far.

085E1D88-9495-44F2-BD89-0C69B7CD6F66.jpeg

37E0CD04-C161-409A-97A1-C7EF64B0AD49.jpeg

Quick update: I still really like the Continental AT Contact tires, and am happy with my choice. I’ve put about 3000 miles on them (just crossed 200k on the truck 100 miles ago). They have worn little so far, and very evenly.

Just got our first snow of the season, overnight. I’m eager to get out there and drive around to see how the truck and tires handle it.

Last edited:
I hate to be vain, but I love the asthetics of the KO2 and enjoy seeing them every time I walk out to the trucks.

Quick update: I still really like the Continental AT Contact tires, and am happy with my choice. I’ve put about 3000 miles on them (just crossed 200k on the truck 100 miles ago). They have worn little so far, and very evenly.

Just got our first snow of the season, overnight. I’m eager to get out there and drive around to see how the truck and tires handle it.

Good to hear! I’m at about 25k on mine and have nothing but good things to say as well. Once I hit 30k I’ll post some more pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom