Should I buy '97 FZJ80? Sell the 2010 4Runner Trail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now since I got the LX450 there is always something to do to it.....windows that are not going up or down, exhaust leaks, front knuckles leaking, front steering vibrations, engine codes, front caliper seizing, rear parking issues, rear defrost not working, water in the trunk, weird noises here and there, lights missing on the front dash....an so on and so on and the list can continue....just problems.....(slowly I'm getting all fixed up but others are coming for sure...)
regards

I've had nearly all the same issues with mine. Not deal breakers just annoying.
On a 20 yr vehicle if your traveling far then you need to address all hoses (+PHH), belts, Heater Valve, Change the Fluids, Rebuilt Power Steering Pump if leaking, replace Valve Cover, Wires and Plugs, Dizzy and Rotor. Seats that don't move. Replace radio & speakers. Confirm Brakes are good (parking too). Replace Alarm/Remote Entry.
After you spend the time and a few grand, after you will have a vehicle with durability to match anything new

I can't find this 80 in the CL for sale section... Did you buy it? We're in the Bay Area, we can look it up for you or we'll most likely snag it from you:bang:

Last edited:
You own a limited edition now that the Trail has been discontinued for the TRD Off Road. I own a 94 80 and 15 4Runner Trail. I am very happy with both in different ways. They are both very capable, I think the 80 has more usable cargo space, they are both under powered but reliable. The only logical solution I see to your problem is to get the 80 and keep the 4Runner. Understanding that might be a reality, if it was for a weekend toy, the 80 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If it were going to be a DD that you occasionally wheel, then the 4Runner.

You own a limited edition now that the Trail has been discontinued for the TRD Off Road. I own a 94 80 and 15 4Runner Trail. I am very happy with both in different ways. They are both very capable, I think the 80 has more usable cargo space, they are both under powered but reliable. The only logical solution I see to your problem is to get the 80 and keep the 4Runner. Understanding that might be a reality, if it was for a weekend toy, the 80 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If it were going to be a DD that you occasionally wheel, then the 4Runner.

Copied from the first post, second sentence-:rolleyes:

"This would not be my daily driver and would be used for weekend beach trips, Eastern Sierra, Mojave Desert, and some Baja trips"
This is why I recommended he kick the 4Runner to the curb. :meh:

Copied from the first post, second sentence-:rolleyes:

"This would not be my daily driver and would be used for weekend beach trips, Eastern Sierra, Mojave Desert, and some Baja trips"
This is why I recommended he kick the 4Runner to the curb. :meh:

I saw that, but without knowing what his DD, and that fact that sometimes 2nd vehicles become 1st vehicles, I was just giving a different perspective.

Hi LS1FJ40,

It is very possible that my LX was very neglected vehicle....
regarding the 195 miles per full tank... and I'm running premium gas all the time....!!!! My LX has the OEM TRD Supercharger....maybe this is making the difference. As I said I've fixed all the engine codes so there is nothing to suggest the engine is not running within the specs....in fact the engine runs excellent after doing all that repairs/maintenance No complains regarding engine and transmission... all the other stuff mentioned are really annoying and time consuming to fix....

regards

Hi Hornd,

After you spend the time and a few grand, after you will have a vehicle with durability to match anything new

possible ....I haven't reach that point in time yet maybe money wise I did....

for me I start to believe it would have been way better with a new vehicle (4runner or Taco ...my preference...)....I wouldn't waste such time...

regards

I'm finding that there's more in the 80 fuel tank than you would think based on the fuel gauge. I used to fill up around 200miles since it was getting closer to E, however a few days ago I waited to 240 miles or so and it still only took 20 gallons at fill up (5 left in the tank). Next time I'll at least push it until the gas light comes on so I can take a note on the range.

Buy it. Don't think twice.

I've had my 97 for almost 5 years, aside from some base lining at first and then exhaust/o2 replacement/egr clean and vsv replace recently (OEM stuff has to be replaced sometime...), I've had zero issues as a daily driver - it's my only vehicle- and weekend deer lease/light off road. Just fun to drive. The exhaust/o2/egr etc work also fixed the p0401. I was in a 3rd gen 4 runner years ago, and the models afterwards all felt plastic-y. I may have been lucky with the 97 I bought, but at almost 20 years old, it's an incredible vehicle. Everyone has their priorities- yes, the windows roll down slow, but that's totally irrelevant to me. Oh, and I replaced the stereo and add some cup holders, which added about 2-3 mpgs at least

We have a LC 80 as our third vehicle. Have a limited Sienna and a Camry as our daily drivers. The land cruiser is my "bumping round on the weekend car" and in this case I love it.

So long as the LC isn't your DD, I think it would be fun. Just so long as you realize that maintenance is a thing.

If you feel the gen 5 T4R is "undersized" your going to feel the very same way about the 80, they are nearly identical in interior and exterior dimensions. I love my 80 but my groin hurts every time I am in for more than 40 mins at a wack when I get out because the seat just wont go back far enough for my long legs. Despite this I still have driven it across the country several times
Land tank seat extensions #done

Knuckles here in CA will run you at least $1200 or more at a dealer. IIRC doing it myself with help was $400-600 for all the parts including replacing the races and bearings. That was years ago so I could be way off on parts pricing...aging memory. Don't forget all the grease, shop towels, etc. too! If you are anywhere near Sonoma, Mudrack is a very well respected mechanic in these circles. Down here, YotaMasters in Corona, ST Trux in La Jolla, both a little far for you in Santa Monica. Couple in the valley I can't recall. Not sure where you are.

Valve cover and distributor O-ring not to expensive. Hood shocks on Amazon and DIY. Nutserts for the factory rack are rust magnets, even for a California truck! Lose the rack and seal the nutserts - threads here on Mud on that topic. If you do buy and want to remove the factory rack, soak those rack screws several times with your favorite rust spray!

Does it have the magic button - front/rear lockers? Little dial to the immediate left of the steering column? Do you care? You'll generally pay a little more for it.

Agree 100% regarding underpowered comments on the 80. Inline 6 is a very reliable workhorse and will get you where you are going, but not fast up steep grades. It'll do fine with a small trailer or boat.

Don't know the interior of a 4runner, but the 80 compared to newer Yota SUV's won't seem that big. Yes, it does have the 3rd row seats you are after. Not a huge amount of storage if you've got those seats down though.

If gas mileage is at all a concern, run Forrest run!

$4K seems mighty low for a '97 with that low a mileage. What else is wrong you aren't being told? Transmission at 100K seems odd. Been reading and on this board for more years than I'd like to admit to and don't recall too many threads on transmission issues.

If power is a concern, wait for a good 100. Loads more power than the 80.

Just confirmed that it DOES have the magic button...pics coming soon.

Just confirmed that it DOES have the magic button...pics coming soon.
There you go you made $2k on the deal.

Saying hthe at, the newer vehicle factor is not something to pass lightly. Older vehicles require more attention.

Nice purchase... congrats and welcome to the fun of 80 ownership

Buy the 80. But don't sell the 4Runner. Buying the 80 as a weekend toy = fun. Selling the 4Runner to replace with an 80 = stupid. You will regret this move, I guarantee it.

The 80 is a one time buy for me. buy it- keep it. It will always be getting this and that done. But, ultimately it is one the best and most prolific overland 4x4 ever made for private consumption. If you think you want one- go buy one.

What I see is that peoples level of comfort and ease of operation has increased to be mostly transparent in modern vehicles. I think my 72 yr old mom summed it up this spring when she borrowed my truck to go up in the mountains here......."I had a blast driving your truck today- I had to actually drive it like back when you were a kid(the 70's).....it was a blast!" My point being that old feels and looks old by comparison to new tech- and thats a good thing for some people everyday - all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom