Should I buy '97 FZJ80? Sell the 2010 4Runner Trail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you buy it yet?

boxrocket tells it best, but lots of other good advice. And Masud is right, you will have to buy parts, but I suspect his truck didn't see the TLC yours did. It's a steal at that price and condition. Go for it.

You can always buy another 4Runner, a TLC, not so much.

I own both. 2013 trail and triple locked 94 fzj80.
If your capable and willing to work on it the 80 I would strongly consider it. But be honest with yourself if you can work on it, it is 20 years old. The issues it has are very common and easy to fix, but down the road will have some bigger more difficult repairs needed.

The 5th gen is so much nicer for the kids on road trips, rides much nicer, a/c is much better. It can be made very capable but won't touch the 80 in durability.

The worst thing about the 80 is parts are starting to be discontinued. Long time before the 5th gen has that issue.

I own the 80 because of the character and build quality. But prefer driving the 5th gen.

You don't know what low power is until you take a 80 up a hill. 5th gen has plenty of power it's just high strung, it tows very well to. I have towed a 80 with it several times. It did just fine.

How much do you want for the 4-runner? lol

Hell yes you should buy an 80. It's not a daily driver, so most of the cons get knocked off right there.
Most of the items you list are really not critical to repair anyway. If you keep grease in the knuckles and the diff full, a little leak isn't going to hurt anything. Just buy it, check, change and fill all the fluids. Replace the hoses and belts and drive it. You can get to other things over time but you will learn what to do at one time to save additional cost/work later as you get more familiar with it.
4runners are practical, reliable and soulless.

Hey,

in all seriousness don't sell the Runner you will regret it sorrowfully...as I'm really really missing my Runner !!!!
I had a 2006 4runner (bought new from Magic Toyota in Edmunds, WA) and unfortunately after 8 years of enjoy it It got caught in an accident (sever rear-end...) and it was a write-off. Stupid me...instead of getting another 4Runner with the money from the insurance, I spent some of them getting the '96 LX450....HUGE mistake !!!!!
So over 8 year and more than 130k miles of Runner ownership nothing.... absolutely nothing went wrong with that Runner...just regular maintenance (oil change, brake pads and tires...) and we were going all over the places, off the beaten path, (pretty much every weekend....)...
Now since I got the LX450 there is always something to do to it.....windows that are not going up or down, exhaust leaks, front knuckles leaking, front steering vibrations, engine codes, front caliper seizing, rear parking issues, rear defrost not working, water in the trunk, weird noises here and there, lights missing on the front dash....an so on and so on and the list can continue....just problems.....(slowly I'm getting all fixed up but others are coming for sure...)
So I've owned the LX for more than 2 years and we've gone off-road (not heavy...just moderate more like heavy dirt forest roads to hot-springs) twice....just twice in two years.....just because the LX450 was (and still is ...) not ready... And when we went I had to carry two extra jerrycans of fuel because the range is kind of 330 km (that's 195 miles) per full tank !!!!!????? horrendous..... (in the Runner I was getting 350-380 miles - that's 600 to 650 km per tank...!!!!)
So as you can see I'm really getting tired of the LX and considering selling it and getting a new Taco......
So just so you know....don't sell the Runner you will regret it bitterly......

regards

Save up $4k, get the 80, keep the 4runner, and you have one rig to have up on jack stands and bang on in the driveway and one rig you take to the dealer to get fixed, LOL

Hey,

in all seriousness don't sell the Runner you will regret it sorrowfully...as I'm really really missing my Runner !!!!
I had a 2006 4runner (bought new from Magic Toyota in Edmunds, WA) and unfortunately after 8 years of enjoy it It got caught in an accident (sever rear-end...) and it was a write-off. Stupid me...instead of getting another 4Runner with the money from the insurance, I spent some of them getting the '96 LX450....HUGE mistake !!!!!
So over 8 year and more than 130k miles of Runner ownership nothing.... absolutely nothing went wrong with that Runner...just regular maintenance (oil change, brake pads and tires...) and we were going all over the places, off the beaten path, (pretty much every weekend....)...
Now since I got the LX450 there is always something to do to it.....windows that are not going up or down, exhaust leaks, front knuckles leaking, front steering vibrations, engine codes, front caliper seizing, rear parking issues, rear defrost not working, water in the trunk, weird noises here and there, lights missing on the front dash....an so on and so on and the list can continue....just problems.....(slowly I'm getting all fixed up but others are coming for sure...)
So I've owned the LX for more than 2 years and we've gone off-road (not heavy...just moderate more like heavy dirt forest roads to hot-springs) twice....just twice in two years.....just because the LX450 was (and still is ...) not ready... And when we went I had to carry two extra jerrycans of fuel because the range is kind of 330 km (that's 195 miles) per full tank !!!!!????? horrendous..... (in the Runner I was getting 350-380 miles - that's 600 to 650 km per tank...!!!!)
So as you can see I'm really getting tired of the LX and considering selling it and getting a new Taco......

regards

Sounds like you bought a real POS 80:flipoff2:
Seriously though, comparing issues on two different vehicles, one being a decade older than the other? Do you think the 80 was problamatic back in 2006 when it was only 10 years old?;)

The 80 sounds like a smokin deal.
We have had 4th and 5th gen 4runners (2011 5th gen now), and they arereally cool cars, just not nearly as cool as the 80. Unfortunately for me, my wife thinks the opposite and when we all go somewhere, its usually in the 4runner. Whenever I can get her to do it, I make her drive because it just doesn't do much for me to drive it. My stock, slow 97 is tons more fun to drive; I can't explain why, it just is.

As far as current mid priced suv's go, the 4runner is tops, but the quality of the 80 is so high, that at 20 years old, my 200,000 + mile 80 is tighter and more solid than our 2011 5th gen.

Hi Funner,

I think it is just the difference between a new vehicle vs an old one.....
I really believe that even a fine piece of engineering such as the TLC/LX450 is staring to be more than a nuisance after 14-15 years or so, not to mention 20 years......and the time (and money but mostly time...) spent in the garage trying to keep it safe and on the road is far far outpacing the time actually going places....so I'm firm convinced that when new/newish (10years or so or as you said up to 2004-2005...) an LX450 would have been a great and reliable truck ....unfortunately in 2016 not so much... slowly it remains only a superb piece of engineering worthy of automotive history book ... and pretty much nothing else.... the cost in time and money to keep them safe and running is rendering them unusable.....

As for my LX450 as I said I've slowly fixed it up...replaced all the windows runs and greased all the windows regulators now all the windows are working just fine, replaced the front control arms bushings and did the knuckles kit repair so now no more leakage or vibration, with this ocassion I replaced the front calipers with OEM reman including new front rotors OEM, I bought a full ss exhaust (magnaflow -pipes and cat plus Borla full cat-back exhaust) including all new OEM rubber blocks for it (with ss nuts and bolts...), I just need the time to put it in...., worked out all the engine codes (P0330, P0325, P0401 and some others...), I replaced fan clutch with new AISIN unit and new fan, replaced the evap canister, put in new cabin mounting bushings, did all the fluids flush and refill....way back just after taking ownership....
All the above took me almost two years !!!!! (in between family matters, working office hours, kids soccer and other activities, family vacation and so on...)
I still have to do few things... like PHH hose, figure out where the water is getting in the trunk, fixing the rear defroster, replacing few bulbs in the dash, maybe getting a front and rear bumper (if I decide to keep the truck ....unlikely though...), getting new front seats covers (same if....) maybe getting the head gasket done as preventive measure (same if I decide to keep the truck....most likely not...)

But I think the most bothersome "feature" of the LX is the range or lack of it....it is really really horrific.... 330km (195 miles) per full tank is just gruesome...simply gruesome....

So ...to 395er if you read this better take notes ....keep your Runner and enjoy the outdoors not the indoor of your garage !!!!

regards

Last edited:
I live in Santa Monica. You're welcome to look at mine if you'd like to "try it on for size." It's a bone stock 97 - for a few more days anyway...

They are great trucks, but you're going to need to love it for its flaws - because there are many. That said, it's like driving an anvil - heavy and hard, but damn near indestructible.

I had a 100 and sold it for an 80. The 100 was better in almost every way, but I just never fell in love with it. Something about a no-compromise, third world truck. Solid axles. Locking differentials. Lumbering inline 6. And those sexy looks!

Regarding axle knuckle seals. If they are leaking, that's just the symptom. You need new inner seals. That's an overhaul. Not a difficult job, but cataclysmically messy. Happy to lend you the tools in you decided to tackle it yourself - which I'd recommend.

I love my 80 and use it daily as my family car. Yeah the power isn't great and the gas mileage sucks but I don't have a car payment so I can buy a lot of gas for that. I've put a few hundred in maintenance parts over the last 2 years but again way cheaper than a payment.

Mine has 260k miles and runs and drives great. I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip with zero issues. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car across the country. I am 6'1" and find it pretty comfy to drive, guess it depends on how one likes to sit. If you keep the third row seats down you'll be disappointed with the cargo room. Put them up and you can fit a fair amount in the back.

I've been looking at 4 runners lately, but there is no way I would give up the 80. I'd just own both. And at $4k for the one your looking at you should do the same.

$4k sounds like a steal! If you don't like the 4Runner, try the 80 series. Drive it like you stole it (which you did) and then if you don't like the 80, just sell it on EBay for double or triple the price to some hipster doofus:smokin:

Save up $4k, get the 80, keep the 4runner, and you have one rig to have up on jack stands and bang on in the driveway and one rig you take to the dealer to get fixed, LOL
Or... This^^^If you can just buy it outright, keep it around and see if it grows on you. I have a sneaking suspicion though that the 80 will start filling in for the 4Runner and the 4Runner would begin to see more and more driveway time, and cobwebs on the side mirrors, bird s***ted on and all.

Midfat-Thanks for the offer! I'd like to take you up on that. I actually drove this exact vehicle a few times 5 yrs ago and loved it...at which point told the owner to contact me first if they ever wanted to sell it. Would be good to get a closer look at one again though.

Pretty sure I'm going for it as long as all the maint and repair records check out. In line with others advice on the thread I'm going to keep the 4runner for a while (neighbors already think 3 cars is ridiculous...ha!) and make sure about the decision to part ways. I'll take a crack at some of the work (including knuckle seals).

Great forum...this is going to be fun

Knuckles here in CA will run you at least $1200 or more at a dealer. IIRC doing it myself with help was $400-600 for all the parts including replacing the races and bearings. That was years ago so I could be way off on parts pricing...aging memory. Don't forget all the grease, shop towels, etc. too! If you are anywhere near Sonoma, Mudrack is a very well respected mechanic in these circles. Down here, YotaMasters in Corona, ST Trux in La Jolla, both a little far for you in Santa Monica. Couple in the valley I can't recall. Not sure where you are.

Valve cover and distributor O-ring not to expensive. Hood shocks on Amazon and DIY. Nutserts for the factory rack are rust magnets, even for a California truck! Lose the rack and seal the nutserts - threads here on Mud on that topic. If you do buy and want to remove the factory rack, soak those rack screws several times with your favorite rust spray!

Does it have the magic button - front/rear lockers? Little dial to the immediate left of the steering column? Do you care? You'll generally pay a little more for it.

Agree 100% regarding underpowered comments on the 80. Inline 6 is a very reliable workhorse and will get you where you are going, but not fast up steep grades. It'll do fine with a small trailer or boat.

Don't know the interior of a 4runner, but the 80 compared to newer Yota SUV's won't seem that big. Yes, it does have the 3rd row seats you are after. Not a huge amount of storage if you've got those seats down though.

If gas mileage is at all a concern, run Forrest run!

$4K seems mighty low for a '97 with that low a mileage. What else is wrong you aren't being told? Transmission at 100K seems odd. Been reading and on this board for more years than I'd like to admit to and don't recall too many threads on transmission issues.

If power is a concern, wait for a good 100. Loads more power than the 80.

Brentbba-
Great info. Thank you.
Owner recalls a major multi-$K repair around 100K. Reading through forums I'm wondering if it was a head gasket. Will know soon but likely going for it either way.

Midfat-Thanks for the offer! I'd like to take you up on that. I actually drove this exact vehicle a few times 5 yrs ago and loved it...at which point told the owner to contact me first if they ever wanted to sell it. Would be good to get a closer look at one again though.

Pretty sure I'm going for it as long as all the maint and repair records check out. In line with others advice on the thread I'm going to keep the 4runner for a while (neighbors already think 3 cars is ridiculous...ha!) and make sure about the decision to part ways. I'll take a crack at some of the work (including knuckle seals).

Great forum...this is going to be fun
Check your PM. Sent you my contact info.

Hey,

regards

Your 80 would be the exception.

My 92 with 245k miles hardly ever needs wrenching. Haven't touched it in months. Gets daily driven. My 93 that I bought 6 months ago was severely neglected and has been receiving a lot of attention but it's mainly creature comfort stuff. Exhaust leaks, knuckle leaks, steering vibration, engine codes, caliper seizing, rear parking brake issues, water in the trunk, are a lack of maintenance issues. Issues that I've never had on my 92. But I've maintained my 92.

If you are only getting 195 miles per tank you have something wrong with your 80. That is well below what you should be getting. By about 100 miles.

Comparing a brand new vehicle with a vehicle with a suspect maintenance history is questionable, at best. Maybe you are better off owning new vehicles that you don't have to worry about taking care of...

For the record, my 93 which had suspect maintenance history, I would still hop in it and drive it across country right now. Without question. The only issues with it are not mechanical but luxury. I would have no concerns about it making it. And would be a lot more fun that a boring taco or 4runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom