Rust prevention? Rust protection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 Land Cruiser and I will be moving from Los Angeles, to Estes Park, Colorado. I've never had to worry about rust and salt before, but now I will.
Is there a professional service that provides that rust protection to the vulnerable rust areas? What is sprayed on to minimize this rust damage?

Staying in the Southwest provides the best protection!! :cool: DIY method would be to squirt the hell out of it with Fluid Film. I believe that there is a professional service by Ziebart, but no experience with them. We'll miss you in So. Cal Gil!

Yes, but they're pretty much located in the Rust Belt. Zeibart has been around for decades, but there're a few others, many products out there. If you have a compressor you can do it yourself.

For a quickie job you could buy a bunch of cans of 3M Cavity Wax and a pack of long spray wands and do it yourself. Key is to not spray too much at once,
best to do a few quick/light passes. And if you don't want to drill holes
in the sheet metal (I wouldn't) you can remove all the door panels, cargo
area panels, etc, and spray it in that way, but be carefull you don't get it
on the upholstery.

There are also rubber plugs on the backside of the rocker panels,
you can pop a couple of those off and push the wands inside the rocker
panels and spray them that way.

The rear liftgate and hatch both have access panels that could be removed
to get into those spaces also. For the fenders, plenty of access points
and don't forget the engine bay; everything is exposed to the road salt/chemicals there.

I'm not sure about that area of Colorado, but when I lived in Colorado Springs, they used sand instead of salt. Now that I'm in Kansas where they use liquid salt, I use fluid film and rinse off the body every weekend

I think you are ok in CO. Here in WI we look for CO vehicles as they have little rust. Google the rust belt map. I believe you are in the clear! CO uses gravel as there is too much snow fall to salt.

Colorado is not rust belt, but it's getting worse. They used to use mostly gravel, now it's mostly mag chloride. I'm not aware of any professional services to apply fluid film, etc. You'll probably have to DIY. And frankly, it's not a bad idea. Mine is getting worse every year.

Colorado is not rust belt, but it's getting worse. They used to use mostly gravel, now it's mostly mag chloride. I'm not aware of any professional services to apply fluid film, etc. You'll probably have to DIY. And frankly, it's not a bad idea. Mine is getting worse every year.

Ooh dang, that sucks. You’d think with all these “modern safety features” sand and gravel would be fine.

Near Aspen, I remember it was mostly sand as the snow was sooooo dry.

Thicker than Fluid Film and supposed to resist washing off better:

I'm working over a couple of my vehicles now with a combo of this (broad coverage) and FF (where I want it to creep / soak in).

Ooh dang, that sucks. You’d think with all these “modern safety features” sand and gravel would be fine.

Thank the EPA for brown cloud mitigation. To get rid of harmful dust from road sand, we now coat the roads in salt that rinses off into the watershed. Very ecologically sound!

I used fluid film for years then moved to WoolWax.

Agree Fluid film probably creeps more and woolwax has seemed to be more durable. Both are easy to apply. I also live down a dirt road so the dust sticks to it and thickens the protection

any thick petroleum or wax or lanolin will protect the truck. I like fluid film and woolwax as they are very benign and do the job

you can use bar and chain oil or other similar but use something as these trucks really kill it in the snow

Many years ago I learned that the farmers in africa spray their LCs, tractors and other farm equipment with cheap diesel fuel. Stayed rust free.

Which components under the truck do you NOT want to spray with fluid film or woolwax? Could overspray be bad for things like the bushings or rubber boots brake lines ? I think there are things, especially the brake lines, that need to taped off before one applies the brush or spray can.

I spray everything
Don’t tape off anything.
should be fine as long as you don’t hose down your brakes

won’t hurt rubber or brake lines etc

John

I haven't heard of Woolwax, I'll try it. Been using fluid film. The mag chloride is awful! It corrodes everything, including electrical connections, etc. and such .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom