Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little cold mountain air is good for your blood!

Still adding parts to the equation. I found a 1/2" BSPT heater hose nipple to go from the head to the fluid heat riser.

Thanks to @Cruiser Corps , @Racer65 and @davework for quick shipping, i am starting to make plans on converting the transmission tunnel to 4 speed trans and transfercase. Special thanks to Renee Twitty at the USPS for acknowledging that the bolt kit was lost in transit. Dave wasted no time in making things right and resending the stainless bolt kit.

20170624_132534.jpg
20170624_145509.jpg
20170624_145538.jpg
20170624_145338.jpg

A little cold mountain air is good for your blood!

Makes for nice whisky drinking weather... Nothing like some "Doctor Dinky's Medicated Eye Wash" to keep you warm!!

Ohh uhh, that's code talk for alcoholic beverages across company two way radios. :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

Life has been busy but got an update shot from the painters. One last check before color on the tub (soon for all those about to ask when). Stay tuned.

The past week has been spent on a quick family camping trip to Pictured Rocks National Seashore. The scenery and weather was beautiful. It was a nice getaway with a little over 1800 miles logged over the 6 days.

We took a boat tour to get a better look at the shoreline. I also wanted you guys to recommend a lift and tire setup for my van. Flex shot is from the 7 mile offroad loop at Seney Wildlife refuge. I need to install a skidplate to protect the van from overgrown weeds.

123951h (2)c.jpg

20170721_222542.jpg

20170721_222401.jpg

20170721_222429.jpg

20170721_222513.jpg

As long as your 40 doesn't make it to Craigslist as an unfinished project. :beer::beer:

I'm just gonna hang out here in the mountains and wrench for a while.
IMG_0004.JPG

As long as your 40 doesn't make it to Craigslist as an unfinished project. :beer::beer:

I'm just gonna hang out here in the mountains and wrench for a while.View attachment 1501400

Unfinished isnt an option at this point.

Slow and not so steady has been the name of the game.

I hope Montana is treating you well.

Always loved those road trip vacations in the family truckster.
Some of the best memories and stories come from trips taken "back in the day" before the internet and cell phones made things so. . . predictable. Im sure traveling with little ones is unpredictable enough though. . . :)

While the current ride is nice I think you should trade it in on something a little more aggressive:

Van.jpg

van2.jpg

Tracks are in my blood.
Doubt traction would be much of an issue. . . speed might be compromised though.

Always loved those road trip vacations in the family truckster.
Some of the best memories and stories come from trips taken "back in the day" before the internet and cell phones made things so. . . predictable. Im sure traveling with little ones is unpredictable enough though. . . :)

While the current ride is nice I think you should trade it in on something a little more aggressive:

View attachment 1501658

View attachment 1501662

Tracks are in my blood.
Doubt traction would be much of an issue. . . speed might be compromised though.
Thanks for the track ideas, Dave. I have about 1.5 years left on the van sentence and will probably move back towards the SUV or pickup direction. The honda is my first unibody vehicle. My wife wasnt pleased that a racoon peed in the cargo area the second day that we owned it.

We went completely old school on this trip and only used the GPS to get us into the campground. Our assortment of MI atlases provided directions to Munising, Manistique, Seney and Grand Marais and their various attractions. We are trying to teach our kids that while Disney is fun, there are other worthwhile places to see and learn about. I cannot believe that a company has imbedded itself so far into our culture that parents(not me) feel guilty for not visiting their themepark.

Disney is fun, there are other worthwhile places to see and learn about. I cannot believe that a company has imbedded itself so far into our culture that parents(not me) feel guilty for not visiting their themepark

I completely agree with that, I tell my wife all the time they are just stealing from people. While I had a great time on a Disney trip the one time I went, I could think of better vacations that would be more meaningful in life to spend that kind of cash on. Crap, I spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone, fished the Madison with a guide, round trip airfare and a rental car for 2 weeks, all for under $2k.

We are trying to teach our kids that while Disney is fun, there are other worthwhile places to see and learn about. I cannot believe that a company has imbedded itself so far into our culture that parents(not me) feel guilty for not visiting their themepark.

I definitely agree!! I've been to Disneyland twice. The first was the honeymoon (amost 40 years ago), the second was when we felt that the kids were tall enough (just barely) to go on the rides. That was enough for me, I'm not in love with crowds of people. I hate dealing with even small crowds of people. In my opinion there is no better time/place than being out in the outdoors. I LOVE being able to see wild life, in the wild where they belong. My favorite place is the Metolius area. 100 miles each way, dry camping in a non-pay area (much better and easier with 3 Boxers), plus about 100 miles of driving around in the area, is as cheap as spending time close to home and having to pay for spending a few days in tent city, and much more satisfying.

Don

Last edited:
Inspirational posts. That's why I've driven a TLC for the past 30years it gets me there and home. I can go to secluded beaches, great fishing and hunting spots. as a child care worker taking kids out has been a passion. Great bonding opportunity stuck to the axles in mud or snow. My son just bought his first vehicle a bj70 what else but a land cruiser.

I definitely agree!! I've been to Disneyland twice. The first was the honeymoon (amost 40 years ago), the second was when we felt that the kids were tall enough (just barely) to go on the rides. That was enough for me, I'm not in love with crowds of people. I hate dealing with even small crowds of people. In my opinion there is no better time/place than being out in the outdoors. I LOVE being able to see wild life, in the wild where they belong. My favorite place is the Metolius area. 100 miles each way, dry camping in a non-pay area (much better and easier with 3 Boxers), plus about 100 miles of driving around in the area, is as cheap as spending time close to home and having to pay for spending a few days in tent city, and much more satisfying.

Don

Thanks Don, we were lucky enough to see 2 bears. This scruffy little guy feeding at the side of the road and a large mature blackbear crossing the highway.

Additionally, whitetail, bald eagles, beaver, trumpeter swans and loons were spotted at the Seney refuge. This trip was a trial run to see how the kids would do on multiple nights in tent. After 5 nights, they were not ready to go home and wanted to stay longer.

20170723_191925.jpg

I'm glad it worked out well for you. When kids are introduce to camping at an early age they are like ducks taking to water. Our two kids are very avid campers at age 30. Their first camping trip was at just over two months old (twins). We sat them in their little seats (similar to car seats) on the picnic table, and they were absolutely fascinated by all the conifer trees swaying in the breeze. Was it a lot of extra work for us? YES! But the end result is definitely worth it. As they grew older they were really excited to see animals in their natural environment.

Don

Some lateral progress is wrapped up. Final mock up is complete. The raingutter was removed, blasted, epoxy primered and reinstalled.

The remainder of the large sheetmetal was blasted and epoxy primered this week. They are safely tucked away until needed.

i9.jpg
20170809_153723.jpg

:popcorn:

Almost out of popcorn.

Me too, lol. Painters let us know today that they will be back on the 40 next week.

I am buttoning up a 60 steering conversion for a friend, wrenching on my dads '69 and have been busy with the family so timing should work out well.

Tomorrow we will be busy bottling some liquid gold....

20170906_133725.jpg
20170908_175848.jpg

View attachment 20170904_115615.jpg

Looking good! Let me know if you still need those dash switches.

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom