Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Supra. Looks exactly like the one my brother regrets getting rid of. He lives in Hilliard OH and has been talking more lately about trying to track it down. Cool pic.

This one was at the dealer and is down while they try to track down a new ignitor.

After about 4 weeks since first contact with Dakota Digital, the customized guage cluster arrived today. They were great to work with and after finally getting my hands on it, it is a work of art. We had them match the font of the original guages and back the tach down from 8k to 5k. There were software changes needed to accomplish the tach customization. Dakota(for a price) was willing to make any changes that I asked for.

View attachment 1452929
This looks really good, I stayed away from this cluster because the tach was 8k (I just didn't like that it was so high on the rev range), but now looks like I will be giving them a call as well.

Those kids look like a handful Jesse!

Does the "grasshopper" soccer league have rules/keep score? Ive heard stories about youth sports doing away with trophies, scores, etc. so no one's feelings get hurt when the game is over.
I know everyone will have a different opinion on the topic (and I have no intention of hijacking your thread with it) but I prefer some level of competition for better or worse. For what its worth I always seemed to be on the losing side of my youth sports teams and I turned out ok. . . at least that is what I tell myself!!

Also glad to see you are getting your hands dirty with the brakes and axle rebuild; you will be primed and ready for your truck to go back together when the paint shop is done. I'm sure you've done it a hundred times over already in your head!

Those kids look like a handful Jesse!

Does the "grasshopper" soccer league have rules/keep score? Ive heard stories about youth sports doing away with trophies, scores, etc. so no one's feelings get hurt when the game is over.
I know everyone will have a different opinion on the topic (and I have no intention of hijacking your thread with it) but I prefer some level of competition for better or worse. For what its worth I always seemed to be on the losing side of my youth sports teams and I turned out ok. . . at least that is what I tell myself!!

Also glad to see you are getting your hands dirty with the brakes and axle rebuild; you will be primed and ready for your truck to go back together when the paint shop is done. I'm sure you've done it a hundred times over already in your head!

We definitely have our hands full.

There are 2 types of grasshopper players, the ones that are completely into it and the ones that arnt. The competitive kids want to keep score and play hard. We are supposed to be encouraging teamwork and introducing friendly competition at this age. The kids want to win. My youngest is pretty gung ho on playing hard.

My daughter(9yo)plays on a club soccer team and our local travel team. She is practicing 4 to 5 nights a week plus games and tournaments. The girls are completely invested at this level and even hold each other accountable. It's interesting to hear the girls communicate on the field especially if someone isn't doing their job.

My middle 7yo son doesn't have a competitive bone in his body. He enjoys the social aspects of his teams and really loves scouting and his Lego clubs.

We are taking the bodywork slow to make sure nothing gets missed. I found a missing hole just last week that was corrected. I'd rather be a month behind than have to tear into paint to fix something.

This looks really good, I stayed away from this cluster because the tach was 8k (I just didn't like that it was so high on the rev range), but now looks like I will be giving them a call as well.

I really like how well it turned out. Give Dakota Digital a call. They were very patient, accommodating and over all a great company to deal with.

Crawling forward, I have decided to run a header. Rather than use half washers to space the intake manifold, a local race shop was kind enough to mill the header flange to the correct thickness. They have accounted for the oem gasket and will be supplying belleville washers to help tighten everything down. Upon recommendation from @FJ40Jim a fluid heat riser will also be installed(because ohio).

20170518_115644.jpg

Last edited:
We are slowly checking tasks off the list. I received the Man a Fre fluid heat riser kit and the machine shop completed the header. I have everything needed to complete the intake and exhaust and top it with a Jim C rebuilt carb.

The painters have been working on another project but should be progressing again soon. The Dakota Digital controller is in place and all of our body parts except the front clip are being blasted today.

20170525_092132.jpg
20170525_092125.jpg
20170525_093230.jpg

Today, we picked up everything but the front clip from the sandblaster and delivered to the painters.

Forgetting that it is a holiday weekend, rushing and not paying attention resulted in a speeding ticket. To make matters worse, I had forgotten my wallet and all forms of ID. The state trooper started out noticibly agitated and I got my first pat down. By the end of the traffic stop he was visibly amused and in good spirits.

Anyways, the parts are clean and there were not any surprises. It still amazes me at the amount of space and the number of parts that comprise a dissassembled 40.

Zak and Dan have the interior ready to shoot the spray filler which should happen early next week.

20170526_141652.jpg
20170526_143226.jpg
20170526_143224.jpg
20170526_144232.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, it's nearly time for some color.

I may have more tickets Ohio than my home state of Michigan, not a good state to exceed the speed limit. I got nailed going 90 last year on the turnpike near Akron, ouch.

Looking good, it's nearly time for some color.

I may have more tickets Ohio than my home state of Michigan, not a good state to exceed the speed limit. I got nailed going 90 last year on the turnpike near Akron, ouch.

Id agree with you on the color. While OH likes their tickets, MI traffic is insane, 35mph or 90 mph on a highway with 6" deep potholes is crazy. Since ive started driving "family-friendly" vehicles my tickets are starting to slow down. I still cant drive my wive's car for any more than a day due to my lead foot.

That's why I moved from my 911 GT3 to the Toyota's! Our roads are insanely bad in the south. North country is much better. I seriously got rid of 3 sports cars because I just don't see the point in driving them around the traffic congested sh*thole that is metro-Detroit. To get my fix I either drive my wife's car (Cayenne GTS) or go to the race track (widebody 951/V8).

How are things going with the tub?

Thanks for asking, Ryan, your build is looking great. Nothing too exciting to report on my end. The doors and hardtop sides are in epoxy. Most of the heavy lifting is finished on the tub. Final primer and color is all thats left. I am sandblasting the hinges as we speak. The painters are doing a final mockup of the hardtop and doors before paint. I have been slowly picking away at the engine compartment.
20170616_093154.jpg
20170607_151627.jpg
20170607_151644.jpg
20170607_150635.jpg

Today after swimming with the kids(shot of the 4.5yo in action), I dropped off the hinges to the painters and was able to snap a pic of the tub patiently waiting.

They are wrapping up a quick repair to another antique and will be resuming work on the 40 next week. There isnt much left before seeing some green.

The 2 trans humps that we planned on using didnt come through blasting so well. Luckily, a local 40 owner was kind enough to let me use one of his spares.

20170609_115855.jpg

20170616_123730.jpg
123951h.jpg

Last edited:
Thats looking good. Painters are doing a nice job on the paint and body.
JP

Looking good man, I figured that you haven't had much free time. It will all come together soon!

Looking good man, I figured that you haven't had much free time. It will all come together soon!

Thanks, its been busy. Summer is busy time for my wifes job, my daughter has her last of about 25 spring soccer games this saturday and then cub scouts..... I am just trying to catch my breath before the tub gets painted. We are trying not to rush, so nothing gets missed.

If you just tell yourself you are moving to Montana you will be done in a few weeks !!!! LOL !!! It is looking good you are doing a nice job !!
JP

When @rkymtnflyfisher announced that he was interviewing earlier this year, I looked at the temp in billings and think Ill pass on MT for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom