Builds Project R2D2 Sixty - 1986 Retro Refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally got R2D2 back in the shop. It was sitting at 18* at the BB :eek:

Dropped it down to 0 at the BB and it drives great. I’ve not put a long ride on yet to see if that killed the diesel but I’m confident it will.

0 at the BB should be 7*. If this setting works you might try adding 2-4* (9-11* advanced) and it may drive a little greaterer yet still shut off without dieseling.

0 at the BB should be 7*. If this setting works you might try adding 2-4* (9-11* advanced) and it may drive a little greaterer yet still shut off without dieseling.

Yeah I usually run mine a bit hotter as well on my Sniper/DUI trucks. I’ll need to get it on the road. It never dieseled on short trips

My painter came by and we made a plan. He is taking it the first week of July so I still have time to chip away at rubbing off the funky silver

9CEB16A7-74C9-4E82-9A74-A6F05B551C6D.jpeg

I have a new weapon in my war against this stuff. I’m still trying to figure this out stuff but I will say it made pulling the paint off WAY easier.

I sprayed it on. Let it sit about 30 seconds then I wiped it off and then hit it with CLR and the steel wool and it came off so easily.

Less work but I’m being real deliberate. This stuff is strong. Don’t want to mess up the gray

F721DADC-AED6-44F3-9870-5CAB7D376A97.jpeg

So, this is the plan. Get the areas all around the graphics cleaned of the old spray over silver then tape off the areas where it’s been cleaned and then repaint the rest factory silver. Rockers. Roof. A/B Pillars and door frames. Should look cool and keep the retro stripes looking retro and protect and preserve the rest
FBE1055E-3135-4B94-AB8E-F6C58CB51B13.jpeg

Ive been using krud kutter brand to try and figure out a plan for correctly repainting the enamel oil base painted trim in my house. (good experienced house painters have gotten very expensive like auto painters and hard to find, ive been through 2 on my project).

I dont have have it in front of me but one of their products is for removing paint. I used on over spray from trim that got on the built ins. worked instantly on the oil based pain
Might be worth a look. Some powerful stuff, de-glossed the trim instantly and made tacky.

link to krud kutter paint remover google

Goof Off is my go-to for road tar, spray paint, old adhesive etc. never had it damage the original finish.

Goof Off is my go-to for road tar, spray paint, old adhesive etc. never had it damage the original finish.

Regular ole Goof-Off (the hard stuff) would not touch this stuff but the graffiti stuff had its way with it.

I set mine at 10*, but dieseling should be resolved prior, timing will just mask the issue. I've found dieseling is usually mixture and tune once everything else has been resolved mechanically.

Regular ole Goof-Off (the hard stuff) would not touch this stuff but the graffiti stuff had its way with it.

Ah...I’ve only ever know about/used the graffiti remover. Didn’t know there was another sort...carry on...the best looking Cruiser if it’s kind.

TTT

Funny you ask. I’ve been on R2D2 today for about 3 hours working on the areas between the stripes. I am happy to say I’m getting to the end of this journey.

The painter is taking it next week for roof repair and chrome install so I want to have my end as compete as possible so it looks like new money when he gives it back to me.

To make it even more fun, today I’m 2 weeks post OP getting neck surgery so today’s running might end up hurting a lot later

F0303A43-7A88-4FA8-B09C-4484008DADCC.jpeg

9D402C8C-11AF-4EA1-B365-D1D9C7784853.jpeg

Still waiting on that call to take it to the painter. I am almost finished rubbing the frosty silver off. Holy s***. Brutal.

1/2 a lift gate away......

5FC0BEA5-CA48-4F19-9133-79A9442A2A18.jpeg

I was playing musical 60’s today and fired up R2D260 and moved it 100 yards.

As I was walking back I found a trail.

Holy hell I got lucky on this one. The oil galley plug blew out. I was not planning on driving it until the painter called and that means it would have happened on the road and I would not have noticed until it was too late.

Ugh.

5F53FDAC-26AB-46CA-9C9A-CF6C5E00BB2C.jpeg

4559F0DF-4891-4777-B225-336EB14F78F0.jpeg

72E1CB5C-11CE-4C42-BB9F-44F95C443D3F.jpeg

I was playing musical 60’s today and fired up R2D260 and moved it 100 yards.

As I was walking back I found a trail.

Holy hell I got lucky on this one. The oil galley plug blew out. I was not planning on driving it until the painter called and that means it would have happened on the road and I would not have noticed until it was too late.

Ugh.

View attachment 2366430

View attachment 2366431

View attachment 2366432

THAT is the droid we should all be looking for....and by droid I mean possible blown 2F.

THAT is the droid we should all be looking for....and by droid I mean possible blown 2F.

100% would have blown the motor had it not been that tiny trip. I want to cry and be thankful at the same time

Good catch. Just think how many 60's/62's out there that didn't catch this in time. Good job on all your hard work. Your collection of Land Cruisers is awesome!!

I’ve ridden the rope of shame in the last 30 days 3 times in 3 different Cruisers.

I’m tired of it.

This fully smogged motor stresses me out a bit. All I do is pull this crap off normally. I’ll have to dig into it a bit to clean up the passenger side to drill and tap. Ugh.

2398D08C-1165-4248-BBCF-4A067031DFF4.jpeg

I’ve ridden the rope of shame in the last 30 days 3 times in 3 different Cruisers.

I’m tired of it.

This fully smogged motor stresses me out a bit. All I do is pull this crap off normally. I’ll have to dig into it a bit to clean up the passenger side to drill and tap. Ugh.

View attachment 2366606
I just desmogged by ‘82 last month and am so glad I did. The seat of the pants feel is pretty strong. Are you still planning on keeping smog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom