Builds Project R2D2 Sixty - 1986 Retro Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also @dnp got me a set of mats to cover the carpet. He just started offering a heal pad for the drivers side. I have the mats in my truck. Just one more layer to keep it cool and quiet inside. I just flip them over when it’s muddy.

527AA3FB-7E92-4A22-A086-F2949E7FC3CB.jpeg

298FF8DE-EA67-4678-84BF-76479B4E953C.jpeg

65746638-3CE7-42F6-B52D-23977603473A.jpeg

9C0CFD15-CC7D-4021-BD35-E68BC5450FAA.jpeg

Finished up with Mustard 78 and slept in this morning. Builds - 1978 FJ40 Mustard Yellow - almost perfect thread.
Linky 👆

I finished up the drivers side. Looks pretty good. In the natural light I can see a few spots I missed. I’m pretty much out all next week so I hope to start in on the other side next weekend.

I’m looking for a drivers side snake blinder.....

View attachment 2212740

View attachment 2212744

View attachment 2212747

View attachment 2212748

View attachment 2212750
The cleaned up paint with the patina stickers is unbelievably good looking! I wouldn't do anything to alter that...It's like new vintage or something.

Last edited:
One more thing, you can pick up some stainless hardware from Lowes and replace the rusty ones in your door sill plates. it will make the world of difference.

The cleaned up paint with the patina stickers is unbelievably good looking! I wouldn't do anything to alter that...It's like new vintage or something.

You are right it’s looking good.

The CSI I can figure here is this.

Silver truck goes to get the pinstripes.

The rest of the area that was going to get the stripes was painted gray for some reason.

Roof was primed and never painted.

From the rockers up it was taped off. Stickers added with the covers on them.

Non OE Silver paint was sprayed then the covers came off the decals.

The silver spray that did not hold up over time.

That is what I am rubbing off. The factory silver is like concrete. It won’t come up so it stays

Passenger side and rear still need to be done then it’s off to get the roof painted.

That will get it where it’s protected and still retro AF.

One more thing, you can pick up some stainless hardware from Lowes and replace the rusty ones in your door sill plates. it will make the world of difference.

I replaced my rusty sill screws with black automotive screws that look really nice too. I have a local independent (not stupid HD/Lowe’s) hardware store with an amazing hardware fastener section.

I replaced my rusty sill screws with black automotive screws that look really nice too. I have a local independent (not stupid HD/Lowe’s) hardware store with an amazing hardware fastener section.
Awesome, wish I had a local store other than Lowe’s as well

I have not cranked R2D2 since March 17th. Decided to get it back up here are the shop so I can start in on the passenger side polish.

Fired right up like a champ. This thing looks so cool with that ARB rack on it.

Project Patina and the Goat tail trailer have taken over farm trash duty since the FJ45 clutch blew up. I miss the ole Goat.

C19CA4A5-BCFC-48DF-B6D1-4A91263F671B.jpeg

14ACD648-6508-4260-95A7-96FA3413530B.jpeg

The OEM chrome trim came in to Toyota of Brookhaven. Unreal. These tiny pieces were in 2 boxes that were 5’ long and 2’ square.

crazy.

76B52F3D-BCFE-46B8-8822-300E1640AF1D.jpeg

I second @Cruiser Corps recommendation about cleaning and painting the console. Piecing together different parts from different trucks with different levels of UV exposure left me with a mismatched interior. A little elbow grease and the cost of some spray cans and everything looks matching factory new. It's been about 6 months with kids and dogs all over the inside and the paint is holding up great.

I am no body work guy. So this is just a question / idea. After you have done all that hard work carefully restoring the paint and your custom pinstripe patina. If you are having the roof painted, should you look into having the whole body re-clear coated? would that provide future protection to the retro decals?

I am no body work guy. So this is just a question / idea. After you have done all that hard work carefully restoring the paint and your custom pinstripe patina. If you are having the roof painted, should you look into having the whole body re-clear coated? would that provide future protection to the retro decals?

I’ll sure ask the body guy. That said I think if the owner keeps it waxed he should be OK.

Speaking of the roof. Go back OE silver or the gray that I’m digging out between the stripes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom