Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where has the group had the best luck acquiring front axle service kits? My 40 with front disc setup is leaking. It needs a full service, seals, bearings, hubs, etc. It has finally soaked my front brake pads.

View attachment 1596609

I'll pimp our local resource @OTRAMM (Knuckle, Transmission, and Transfer Case rebuild kits), since he sells Terrain Tamer kits which get good reviews on 'mud.
I would get a couple extra axle seals as well for spares and "just in case" because you will likely F one up during installation. I would also get the wheel bearings.

tddEttz1JDwyl28q2

Got the FJ80 registered and titled today! Thanks to all of you that helped me get her to pass safety inspection! I also waxed her after some serious rubbing compound. Now doing some research on valve adjustment!

So, one of the rotors on Rhea's 80 is toast. Don't know why yet as I have been too chicken to tear it off in -2 degree wind chill.

Question is, I replaced the rotors on both sides 40k miles ago. Should I do both sides again?

So, one of the rotors on Rhea's 80 is toast. Don't know why yet as I have been too chicken to tear it off in -2 degree wind chill.

Question is, I replaced the rotors on both sides 40k miles ago. Should I do both sides again?
Better check those calipers... That's not normal.

Last edited:
I'm one lucky unlucky SOB.

All six wheel lugs on my passenger front wheel snapped off. Apparently 5 of them on the way to work and the sixth while leaving my work parking lot. Felt a little shake, then dragged the rotor on the asphalt for a bit. Swore, then laughed as I watched my wheel roll down the road.
Luckily this happened just before NAPA closed so I could get replacement lugs and nuts.
Jacked up the truck off the rotor, ripped off the brakes, then hammered out the sheared lug stubs. I was close enough to work to walk back, get a cup of coffee, and a BFH with punch.
So, I never repacked all my regular traveling tools back in the truck, but I had sockets, wrenches, and my electric impact(God tool). Got my parts and sacrificed an extra wheel nut to suck/"press" the lugs into place. Had to lower the rotor and truck corner weight on to a block of wood while I repositioned the jack so the tire could be installed.

Drive it home 2 1/2 hours after going sideways.
IMG_20180111_190717.jpg

DAMN!! :eek: That could have been worse. I assume that's the 3rd gen. Aluminum rims with shank lugs should be torqued to 76 ft/lbs. Maybe over torqued them last time the wheel was off?

Last edited:
Pimped out my Christmas gift today

65E22C29-F276-47BF-A84E-2D2340BCEC24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom