Pre 85 H55 Upgrade FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, sorry to ask such basic questions, but just doing my homework before I pull the trigger so we dont have any surprises.

1. transfer case linkage- Looks like you have a pic of this in your thread. Is it two parts or just the first one? Any idea where I could source it?

2. Shifter- This H55 comes with a shifter, are you saying I will need a different shifter for my transfer case? Is this the part of the thread where you actually modified your shifter vs purchasing a different one??

3. Pivot shaft from the H42- this would be a part that I would have when I pull the old one right?

4. My existing transfer case works great...shifts into 4H and 4L easily and I think it was actually rebuilt when the engine was rebuilt about 1000 miles ago before I bought it. I should be able to bolt it right up to the H55...correct?
No worries,

1) Two pieces, Georg at Valley Hybrids probably has some sets or post in classifieds
2) Yes, the transfer case shifter, it would be much easier to just get the later model.
3) Right
4) You have to take it apart to get it off the H42 and onto the H55 (and put the oiler cup in, remove the spacer, and swap some bolts) so you will get a good look at it but with that few miles should be good to go.

Just a follow up on this and the transfer shift lever. I had trouble getting into 4hi using the 83’ lever I modified. The clearance was ok but close at the tunnel and seemed like it was engaging. When I was at the dunes for Surf n Turf it just wouldn’t fully engage. 4lo was good. Georg recently sent me out a later model shifter and all is well.
Here are a couple of pics that show the differences below the pivot point. Later model on left.

BD22CE0B-FF86-4B71-92D9-C1199903A396.jpeg

281196A5-33C6-40AE-B479-970A9414E514.jpeg

Another follow up, after daily driving for about a year with stock 3.70 gears and 32s, I decided to swap the 3rds with a set I picked up from a 62. I never was really happy with around town driving. Almost always started out in 2nd and had to ease the clutch out more than I liked. 30 mph was an in between for 3rd and 4th. Highway driving was always great.
So I swapped in the rear and did some driving to make sure I liked it before doing the front. Around town feels a lot like the H42 with 31s did. Very happy with it. The highway RPMs jumped by a couple hundred.
Figure 4.10/3.73 is about 1.1 so should be very close to stock.
In the middle of doing the front so I will update again after I put some miles in. Quite a bit of work to swap but got a chance to use the knuckle alignment tool again which is always a good time.

758A6C03-9456-4601-934B-BB071FA352D3.jpeg

52E0608C-7DF3-4639-B774-9E89352C9EA4.jpeg

9409B9D4-0A8A-4F0E-ACF7-B43AC05E625D.jpeg

The linkage. There were some noticeable differences as you can see. I read the sticky and it mentioned bending and fabricating but this all bolted up perfectly with no modifications. The new parts are on the left in the pics and the measurement is on the new linkage. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the shift plate other than I had done the 2 Low mod to mine already.

View attachment 1401335

View attachment 1401336

View attachment 1401337

View attachment 1401338

I have a question....I got my H55 put in. I had ordered what I thought was a later model linkage parts from a guy and it ended up they exactly matched my 83 linkage parts. I was not dead in the water because there was an 87 at that shop with an engine that was toast. I called the owner and he let me borrow his linkage parts. Long story short, the original guys (Sigrid) is sending me the correct linkage. My question is about the 2W low mod you mention....I have a terrible time popping mine back up into 2WD and I crawled up under to take a look and I have that rabbit ear on my transfer case shifter guide. It looks like you cut yours off....is that my problem?? I can feel that the ear is pinned up against the shifter really tight after I have it back in 2WD.

Is it a laser model shift lever too? Maybe just bend that ear back a little bit? I like the 2lo mod, comes in handy in various situations.
It is a later model shift lever....can you explain the 2lo mod...is that why the ear is missing on yours?

You got it. With that ear gone, you can slide the shifter to the right and engage low without having to pull the shifter down into 4wd.

Interesting.....any reason I shouldn't do that mod? any risk? did they maybe put that ear there so you would be more purposeful about shifting it into lo maybe?

Interesting.....any reason I shouldn't do that mod? any risk? did they maybe put that ear there so you would be more purposeful about shifting it into lo maybe?
What I came to understand from trying to decide to do it or not is it is possible for a person to have it slip in and not notice, ‘I think.’

After running around for 500 miles or so here are my thoughts on the change. I'm running stock gears with BFG 32x11.5x15.

Around town starting out in 1st has me shifting by the time the rear wheels get to the crosswalk. Starting out in 2nd is fine with a slow takeoff but a quick takeoff requires slipping the clutch out slower with higher RPMs. 3rd through 5th are great with good acceleration and spacing. 70mph equates to 2400 rpm on the highway.

1st and Low crawls along real well.

I would have preferred the H55 to be the H42 gearing with an overdrive gear but I'm still very happy with the overall driveability.

Found this thread because I’m about to put a h55 in my 84. It’s funny. I really don’t care for the way they shift either but I like the first gear on the trail and I like the 3rd gear on steep hills.

Are you still running 3.70s?

Edit. I see you swapped. Seems like the complaint of having to shift too fast from 1st to 2nd would be worse with the lower 4.11s

They get better at shifting. 40k on mine since install. It’s as good as the h42 now.

I ran Mobil 1 synthetic sae 50 and just swapped it for the first time. It’s thicker and helps shifting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom