Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.
I'm currently running the Sta Lube GL4. I might give the hypoid GL5 a shot. I see a lot of people are running Redline MT90 but at $60 a gallon...
@mwebfj60 . My H55F can't row through the gears as quickly. But I think that's just a new trans thing. Only have about 10,000 miles on it.
This is normal. The gear train is large and heavy. It takes awhile for the syncros to bring the gears up to speed. Shift it at a steady but slow pace. It isn't a Honda Civic.
I've been using Chevron DeloGear synthetic 75w-90 in mine for the last few months. It's rated MT-1, you can buy it at AutoZone and it seems like good stuff for $5.99 a quart.
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and...nthetic-gear-oil-sae-75w-90-32-oz-/443149_0_0

After running around for 500 miles or so here are my thoughts on the change. I'm running stock gears with BFG 32x11.5x15.
Around town starting out in 1st has me shifting by the time the rear wheels get to the crosswalk. Starting out in 2nd is fine with a slow takeoff but a quick takeoff requires slipping the clutch out slower with higher RPMs. 3rd through 5th are great with good acceleration and spacing. 70mph equates to 2400 rpm on the highway.
1st and Low crawls along real well.
I would have preferred the H55 to be the H42 gearing with an overdrive gear but I'm still very happy with the overall driveability.
Looks like most of it. You'll need the transfer case linkage and shifter from a late model 60 (post Aug 85), and the pivot shaft from the H42.As mentioned in other thread....great write up!! I plan to buy this from Cool Cruisers in Texas since I can pick it up myself. I can see that the kit listed most of the parts needed that you included in your initial list, but maybe not all of them. Just want to make sure everything is in order before getting started. I will be doing this on an '83 FJ60. Outside of what is listed, what else will I need to source outside of gear oil. My mechanic has not problem doing the driveshaft mods.
Cool Cruiser H55 kit:
5 Speed Toyota Kit - H55F - w/Shifter & Gasket Kit
- Fits FJ60 & HJ60 (diesel) 8/'80 to 4/'85
- Kit Includes following Toyota Parts
- Gear Shift Lever and Knob
- Oil Cup
- Transmission Gasket
- Output Shaft Seal
- Transfer case Housing Gasket
- Tap and Fluid Plug (7/16 thread size 1/4 x 18)
See Below: H55F Adapter Bolts for early model FJ/HJ60 years - 8/'80 to 4/'85
Note: System will add $34.71 to base price for 8/'80 to 4/'85adapter Bolts.
- Bolt Kit for 8/'80 to 4/'85 includes:
- 7 bolts longer than stock bolts to mate transfer case to 5-speed.
- You'll need to modify your drive shafts on 8/'80 to 4/'85
- Front drive shaft needs to be lengthened.
- Rear drive shaft needs to be shortened.
- CCOT recommends the H55F transmission be installed by a Toyota Certified Mechanic
- Bolt kit not sold separately.
Looks like most of it. You'll need the transfer case linkage and shifter from a late model 60 (post Aug 85), and the pivot shaft from the H42.