“Yukon Jack,” the 1977 FJ55 (Build Thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 30, 2013
Threads
14
Messages
1,329
Location
Where the prairies meet the Rockies
Well, it’s finally time to start a thread documenting the resurrection of this 1977 FJ55 that I bought sight unseen a couple of years ago. I found this truck on Kijiji for $2000 (Canadian $$, that is), the only glitch being that it was located in Whitehorse, Yukon, which is *very* far from my hometown in southwestern Alberta. Luckily I was able to arrange an affordable ride on a fellow’s step deck trailer, and so after a few weeks it was plopped on my driveway. I immediately started using it as a portable storage unit, and as a result it’s been sitting around for a couple of years, full of junk and miscellanea.

IMG_3306.webp

( Yukon Jack is right at home in the snow.)

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I haven’t really ever taken a close look at the rig. I know there’s some rust and dents. I have noticed that it leaks oil from everywhere. I can see that someone’s made a nifty rear door in place of the tailgate window. But that’s about it.

Until today. Today I hauled out all of the junk that was in there. Much of it went in the trash. Some went for scrap. Some was added to a “free” pile in the alleyway. Finally, the only thing left in the truck was dirt, and lots of it. So I broke out my little pressure washer and gave the thing a good bath, inside and out, and I discovered that under the grime is a pretty solid and complete little Pig!

Here’s some pics.
IMG_4516.webp


IMG_4522.webp

IMG_4529.webp
 
First impression: Pigs are neat! Lots of cool little design elements that I hadn’t expected: things like the spring loaded jack handle clips under the rear seat, and the cool rear seat release, and the cute little vent control knob under the dash, etc. I’m excited for this build!

IMG_4541.webp


Here’s short list of what’s needed:

- Rust repair (rockers, wheel arches, lower quarters, 4 spots on the floor)
- Dent repair, passenger side quarter panel
- Rear window mechanism (glass is good)
- Swap front doors (I have the correct doors for the year)
- Mechanical stuff, knuckle rebuild, etc.
- Seat reupholstery
- Other stuff I don’t know about yet.

I’m planning to document this build on YouTube, so I’ll post up here whenever there’s a new video. Hope some of you will follow along as I try to learn everything there is to know about the Iron Pig.
 

Maybe consider sharing in the pigpen. Lots of knowledge down there and focus is on the Pig!

Either way these are so cool!
 
Back
Top Bottom