Pick's 'build' thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOVE this weather but hate it's getting darker earlier... less time to tinker

First swap between rigs was a quick door handle project after work tonight. The black 80 handle was cracked and the green 80 while dirty was in much better shape.

Will probably do a few more odds and ends like this while I continue to research the axle swap project

20210927_174303.jpg

20210927_182536.jpg

20210927_182712.jpg

The '94 was packed full of parts when I got it... today was the first time I could really go through it. The factory springs and bumper were in there. Also found a receiver hitch so I installed in on the 97 so I can carry my bike!!
20211017_161019.jpg

20211017_161535.jpg

I've decided against swapping the axles.... Think I'll either daily the 97 as-is or sell it to buy a cheap commuter and convert the 94 to a trail rig. Seriously considering a UTE type body chop with 37's. Probably a long term project though... need to get the 94 running, it has a coolant leak somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm still waffling on what to do with the '94. I know at some point I won't be able to mountain bike like I do today and I'll want a capable off-road rig to explore the woods. So, it will likely sit for a few years but I have been tinkering with the '97 that I daily. I've got the seat adjusted where I don't threaten to sell it every time I drive it but 80-seats are the worst. I'm continuing to explore replacement options that don't cost $1,500 a piece. Will probably buy a Corbeau and Planted seat brackets and see which one will get a seat lower and further back.

Here's some recent tinkering:

Found a used ARB bumper
ARB.JPG

The passenger side bulb wasn't working so I opened it up. It was corroded to the point that the bulb housing fell a part in my hand. I rummaged through my junk boxes and found an old fog light that had a 1156 socket in it. Drilled it out from the fog light and bolted it to the ARB housing... worked perfectly!!

ARB2.jpg

Next up was the remote start... It's nice to have the remote door lock/unlock with the after-market remote start but the horn honks every time you use it. I could hear a relay clicking in the dash that would normally be associated with the lights flashing so I pulled it a part. Mistakenly thought the Toyota security system was the remote start at first but eventually found the right box. I Googled the Remote Start model number and found the installation manual. I cut the horn wire (Thank the Lord) and found the light flash trigger. It was a negative (ground) pulse so I wired a relay to supply 12v to the parking lights. Now my lights flash instead of the horn honking!!

I assume this is a dealer installed security system:
VIP.jpg

Got a little knot here Rusty:
wires.jpg

Look at todays postings in the CLCC clubhouse classifieds. Somebody has some seats that might be worth a try. I might be able to assist getting them to you.
Thanks, just looked at those... I like how thin the seat bottom looks but wish they were tan to match the interior. I need to try some out to make sure it gives me more head and leg room

Thanks again for the heads up!!

70* in December and I'm off for the week!! Couple things knocked out and a couple on tap...

First, the HuddExpo EGR delete kit... easy install and WORKED well
20211225_131529.jpg
20211225_133211.jpg

Finally got rid of the running boards
20211227_142139.jpg
20211227_150832.jpg

Next up is Project Cheapskate...
I'm still debating moving the locking diff axles to the black 80 but in the meantime, I'm going to at least move the OME lift springs and shocks. The green 80 is pretty rusty underneath and the OME kit is not so I believe it's newer. The black 80 shocks are past gone so a quick swap will help me gauge if I want to tackle moving the axles later...

All set up, just need some time. My son's have a basketball tournament this week so I'll be in and out. Should be able to wrap this up before the nice weather gets out of here though... I've been soaking everything with PB Blaster the past couple days so I'm hoping for no broken bolts
20211228_092701.jpg

Next up is Project Cheapskate...
I'm still debating moving the locking diff axles to the black 80 but in the meantime, I'm going to at least move the OME lift springs and shocks. The green 80 is pretty rusty underneath and the OME kit is not so I believe it's newer. The black 80 shocks are past gone so a quick swap will help me gauge if I want to tackle moving the axles later...

All set up, just need some time. My son's have a basketball tournament this week so I'll be in and out. Should be able to wrap this up before the nice weather gets out of here though... I've been soaking everything with PB Blaster the past couple days so I'm hoping for no broken bolts
View attachment 2876906
Beware. Those lower rear shock bolts are sintered from a slurry of mylar birthday balloons and silly putty and when they snap, things get ugly.

Last edited:
If the front is any indication, the rear will also SUCK... Not a lot of action shots, as it got dark on the bulk of my efforts but I did finish the front. It took SO long trying to save the shocks to reuse them. If I had a new lift kit, I would have cut a lot bolts. A lot of PB Blaster and some careful heat from a small propane torch and it all came apart without any broken bolts... I cleaned most of the bolts up with the brass brush on my bench grinder and then a liberal amount of anti-seize going back together.

Going to try the rear later today after another basketball game at 2.

The front springs still had the OME sticker on them:
OME.JPG

Carolina Squat!! I had 19 7/8" from hub to front fender before and this morning I got 22 3/8, so a full 2.5" although I suspect it will settle just a bit...
squat.jpg

hopefully rear "complete" photos tomorrow and then some wheel shopping. I'm not a big fan of these, I really like the look of the factory 80 wheels or Tundra steelies on the black trucks.

Last edited:
Done! No broken bolts (thanks PB Blaster and heat) but it took SIGNIFICANTLY longer than I anticipated. It was a fun Christmas break project...

Before/After:
liftkit.JPG

Stop by the neighborhood pond for a quick pic during the test ride:
liftkit2.jpg

Found a decent deal on a used Warn M8000 so I pulled the trigger. I know its probably on the small side for an 80 but I felt better about it than a Harbor Freight. Clocked the clutch, relocated the control box, mounted it and wound the cable on last night, finishing up this morning. A lot of fun!! Ready to put it to work...

winch1.jpg
winch2.jpg

I know, I know.... lights before lockers
but I have decided to pull the locked axles from the '94, rebuild them and swap them into the 97 this summer. Pulling together some extra jack stands and cribbing to get ready for the project

My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, I told her some lights for the 80. She gave me a $100 gift card to Amazon. I've ordered and returned two other sets before settling on these. They're not perfect but look good and should function ok.

Merry Christmas
20220420_195636.jpg

Found a leak and thought it was the Power Steering Cooler but turns put it was a transmission cooler hose. I got some cut to length hose from Advance to get back on the road; I'll order an OEM hose this week

20220423_160627.jpg

Golf Tees FTW!!
20220423_160641.jpg

Some fun this weekend....

Found a used ARB rear bumper and sliders from a member here. Just wrapped up the install
20220610_181530.jpg
20220611_081830.jpg
20220611_150536.jpg
20220611_150551.jpg
20220611_150604.jpg

Sorry, just driveway pics... I didn't have time to make it to the mall for a proper IG photoshoot 🤣

So much fun tinkering with this thing. Tons more to do but looking forward to it!!

New Year, new adventure...

Sold the black 80 and picked up this 05 Tacoma 5sp. 4x4 220k It needs a few things but mostly a commuter for now. Efforts to get the 94 going will now intensify!

20221228_160334.jpg
20221228_160345.jpg

FAIL!! - I think the DMV enjoys crushing your soul... :bang: I bought the '94 Landcruiser without a title, expecting to just make it a trail rig. But, I decided to go through the process and get the title any way. I followed the MVR-92A instructions to a tee: I had my 1) Bill of Sale 2) Notarized Affidavit 3) Inspector's Report 4) Surety Bond at 1.5 times the value of the vehicle and 5) the Bond Power of Attorney. Handed it to the DMV lady and she looks over it for a few minutes and says my name on the Bond isn't the same as my Driver's License: my middle name was missing. Are you kidding me?!? Whatever... Now I need to go get a rider to accompany my bond amending my name and make another trip tp the DMV and wait in line. Should get it done next week...

I've done a few things to my commuter to make it more commuterable: campershell, touchscreen double DIN with Bluetooth ($35 Amazon special) and bucket seats from a newer Tacoma. I have struts & shocks from a newer Tacoma I still need to install. After that, work on the Landcruiser will commence. I bought an OME 3" lift and some 35" tires. Looking for a pair of sliders and a minimal bumper set-up. So ready to wheel this thing!! My last few Landcruisers were too nice to wheel and this one is NOT!!

campertop.jpg
doubleDIN.jpg
bucket.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom