Pick's 'build' thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Pick You been hot rodding that thing? They do haul butt when pushed. My fully built 2004 100 with armor gets 220 to 230 a tank and I don't drive slow. You should easily be over 200 miles before the light. Also, are you sitting on an incline, the gauge too high for the light to be on. Our 2003 GX got 14 mpg in town and 19 to 20 on the highway regularly.

I don't think I've been pushing it excessively. I'll fill up this weekend and try it again. I thought maybe the 295's were a big cause but if yours gets >220 then I should as well. Thanks for the feedback

I don't think I've been pushing it excessively. I'll fill up this weekend and try it again. I thought maybe the 295's were a big cause but if yours gets >220 then I should as well. Thanks for the feedback
Ok, I thought you were rolling a GX. The 295s will have an issue. They are heavy. Also, my 04 has 285/70 R 18 (33.6), DT headers and 3 inch exhaust with after market cats. Great looking LX.

Did you adjust for the oversize tire? The 295 is about 9% bigger. 177 x 1.09 = 192 miles before the light. The light comes on with 5 gallons to go.

After 2 weeks of ownership, I've started assembling a list of things "To Do". I'll track them here so I can keep up with what I've done and what's left to do...

Timing Belt due at 210k, currently at 195 but will probably get this sooner rather than later
Rear passenger seat vibration squeak
Check/Adjust Torsion bars, nose down slightly
The blasted AHC "Off" light blinking at me
DRL burned out; update/upgrade low beams; HID??
Yellow/sun-faded headlight lens

Fog Light rewire for high beam use; update/upgrade bulbs
License plate panel loose/rattle

Noise from steering column when turning at low speed
Hood struts (nearly took my head off)
TPMS blinking; most likely the spare in the trunk area
Spare tire relocated from inside; possible a rear bumper??
The tiniest weep of oil from the passenger side valve cover
Clean/Replace back-up camera

Aux Rear lights
Remove AHC pump; install air compressor

I'll add/delete/update this list as I go but it's a start for now. Would love a front winch bumper and roof rack but those would probably be long range at this point...

Last edited:
Ok, I thought you were rolling a GX. The 295s will have an issue. They are heavy. Also, my 04 has 285/70 R 18 (33.6), DT headers and 3 inch exhaust with after market cats. Great looking LX.

Did you adjust for the oversize tire? The 295 is about 9% bigger. 177 x 1.09 = 192 miles before the light. The light comes on with 5 gallons to go.

I run 295's and avg 280-300 miles per tank, not adjusted (mostly hwy). Haven't installed bumpers yet, but have LRA 24 gal aux tank and the skid plates are removed (less aerodynamic?).

Skid plates make a difference.

Such a beautiful afternoon!! Got to check a couple things off the list...

Gave four (4) turns on the torsion bars and brought the front end up about an inch. Much closer to level but there isn't a level spot in my driveway so I'll do a final measurement and 'after' pictures when I can get on a good concrete slab

Followed this procedure to disable the AHC system. It was not hard but man that AHC ECU is really tucked up under the dash. Removing the screw behind the OBD connector helped tilt it enough to get the connector unplugged. NO. MORE. FLASHING.
AHC1.jpg
AHC.jpg
AHC2.jpg
AHC3.jpg

The TPMS light is flashing, not on steady so I believe that indicates a connection failure not a low tire. I checked anyway and all five (5) were dead on 35psi. No need to just change one sensor but thought I'd at least try to find which one was causing it. I downloaded the "Tire Assistant" app and plugged my OBD Bluetooth adapter in. The app just says 'updating'. I switched over to the Torque App and I can see the RPM on the phone so I know my adapter is working. Any chance all four TPMS sensors are dead??

TPMS.jpg
Torque.jpg

Another beautiful day and a few more things checked off the list...

I don't know why I forgot to list one of my biggest complaints. The rear passenger seat had a high pitch squeak as I drove down the road. I guess there was enough vibration and it was ANNOYING. Got some lithium grease in all the hinge points and while it was just a neighborhood test, it was quiet!! I'll report back if it surfaces again.

Stopped in Discount Tire and they were pretty slow so I got them to test my TPMS sensors. The scan tool was pretty cool; I'm seriously looking at getting one. ~$130 on Amazon. When pointed at the tire, the tool reported the 2 fronts working but the 2 rear and spare weren't. He plugged into the OBD and the ECU reported only the spare not reporting. I suspected they were all original (2006) so I told him to change them all. He confirmed they were the originals and the new ones are all working perfectly now. No more flashing TPMS!!

TPMS_fix.jpg

Gas mileage update... Filled up today and while the gas light was on, it only took 17 gallons; and I really had to force the last gallon to go. Anyway, ended up with 11.5 calculated on actual mileage so that's not horrible. I'll continue to monitor but suspect I'll be in the ~12mpg range around town.

Awesome. I had read years ago to not force gas into the 100s and not sure why. Just wanted to pass that on.
Got my 100 back from Trollhole cruisers yesterday. So excited to get it back.

Awesome. I had read years ago to not force gas into the 100s and not sure why. Just wanted to pass that on.
Thanks for the tip, I just wanted to make sure it was full because I thought 17 gallons wasn't enough.

What did you have done at Trollhole?

Thanks for the tip, I just wanted to make sure it was full because I thought 17 gallons wasn't enough.

What did you have done at Trollhole?
I need to start a thread. Not sure because I don’t want the club members spitting up their coffee this morning. Marshall was shaking his head that I had been driving the 100. This is the 100 we used in 2016 36 hr race. It was in bad shape. Drives so much better now. Lots of stuff and new KM3’s.

When you're locked up at home and Amazon is you're only means of escape... I've got some bulbs coming but this was a good rainy day project. The spare key was taped together and when I un-taped it... it fell apart. I ordered this. You can tell its a cheap china copy but for <$10 it is good enough for the spare key that stays in the drawer.
key.JPG

Last edited:
Don't top off the tank on the 100 series if you can help it. Doing so can cause charcoal canister failure. I had to replace one on our LX and it was an easy job but expensive. Seems like the part was $375 or so. No reason to tempt fate (or your wallet) for an extra splash of gas.

Don't top off the tank on the 100 series if you can help it. Doing so can cause charcoal canister failure. I had to replace one on our LX and it was an easy job but expensive. Seems like the part was $375 or so. No reason to tempt fate (or your wallet) for an extra splash of gas.
Good to hear... It's not a habit I have, just wanted to make sure it was full. Like I said, the light was on but it only took 17.002 gallons so I thought maybe they were finiky... Lesson learned. Is it indeed a 25.4 gallon tank?

If it's anything like the 200s, your light comes on well before you are actually low on gas. Same issue with 200s, light comes on but when I fill up usually only 18 gallons. I've pushed it 1 time so far and got 22gal in there.

I had these little Amazon rock lights and saw the running board pigtail hanging down so I tried it to see if I could get them to light up with the unlock button on the remote... SUCCESS!!
rock_light.JPG

When you're locked up at home and Amazon is you're only means of escape... I've got some bulbs coming but this was a good rainy day project. The spare key was taped together and when I un-taped it... it fell apart. I ordered this. You can tell its a cheap china copy but for <$10 it is good enough for the spare key that stays in the drawer.
View attachment 2246727
Way more than $10, but the titanium jobber by @suprarx7nut is money well spent. I hemmed and hawed over the coin for quite some time. Now that I’ve pulled the trigger, I love the damned thing.

Way more than $10, but the titanium jobber by @suprarx7nut is money well spent. I hemmed and hawed over the coin for quite some time. Now that I’ve pulled the trigger, I love the damned thing.
I'll have to check that out. Sounds like a business case for daily use... When my original starts showing signs of going, I won't be using the Amazon china one again so this may be a good alternative. THANKS!!

On a side note, I did get the oil changed... 195,728 used Valvoline synthetic and a Fram oil filter. Will use OEM in the future, just had a few left over from the PO when we bought the Sequoia. He gave us 15qts of oil and 4 or 5 oil filters. It's been free oil changes for months now :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom