Pick's 'build' thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping to convert this to a BUILD thread in the next few weeks. I sold my 80 last year and am finally back in the market for another cruiser. I've been considering a move to a 100 (or possibly a 4th gen V8 4runner or GX470) but haven't test drove anything yet. I loved the 80 but it was a bit cramped (although the seat gears were broken). I felt like I got it manually adjusted all the way back but just never got comfortable. So far my search parameters have been '98-'00 LC/LX, <250k miles, <$10k; would prefer the RR diff lock but not a deal breaker. Some of the rusty ones have I've seen have VERY tempting prices but am trying to resist the temptation since I really want this to be a long-term project.

It won't be a DD but need to keep it reasonable enough that my wife could drive it as a back-up to her Sequoia. I like to tinker so I don't mind if it needs a little bit of TLC. Project plan includes a good baseline, AHC delete (if equipped) w/ ~2" lift, 33/34" tires, winch & bumper, roof rack and maybe rear bumper/sliders down the road. I don't plan to run Daniel/Dutch John with it but would like to explore some mild trails and FS roads.

I watched OTRAMM's 100 Series Prepurchase Inspection Pointers; anything else to look for on a 100? I watched some videos on replacing the timing belt and starter and felt like I could pull those off (albeit at 3 times longer than a mechanic could do it); so those are candidates if the price was right.

Feel free to drop any tips or potential candidates. I'm in Raleigh but will to travel a few hours for the right candidate...

I'm 6'2" and while the 80 is cramped (drove it to the Grand Canyon and back) I can't think of another solid axle vehicle I would rather have more.

The 100 with the rear diff lock were 98-00 and had a 2 pinion front diff, I would opt for the 01+ where the switched to a 4 pinion. My 100 was great for forest service roads but the one vehicle I will not sell willingly is the 80

I am in Raleigh if you want a second set of eyes when looking one over. Currently have 3 100s (2004 - mine, 99 - oldest daughter, 2000 youngest daughter). I have had a 99 with no rear diff lock and no rear ac, 99 with no sunroof, a 99 with sunroof and rear ac, and 1 2000 that I drove for 10 years.

I am in Raleigh if you want a second set of eyes when looking one over. Currently have 3 100s (2004 - mine, 99 - oldest daughter, 2000 youngest daughter). I have had a 99 with no rear diff lock and no rear ac, 99 with no sunroof, a 99 with sunroof and rear ac, and 1 2000 that I drove for 10 years.
Thanks!! I may take you up on that... It's a spare vehicle so I'm not looking to drop a ton but want something capable enough I can do some mild exploration. It will be my vehicle so I don't have to drive my F350 (4 door, long bed dually) but will serve as a back-up for the wife's Sequoia and some occasional use from my 2 16yr old sons that share a TJ Jeep.

Several people have sent messages and I GREATLY appreciate. Thanks for all the advice...

If this was closer, I would seriously consider it but I doubt I'll have time in the next few weeks to get to Alabama to check it out...
LX.JPG

still looking... not a lot of sub 10k cruisers in Raleigh and very limited time to travel to 'check something out'... found one I was really interested in in TN but had a big gap in the CarFax service history so I passed, may come back to it later??

An 80 would be my dream build, it's just not in the cards right now. This will be a 3rd vehicle for us but the wife will need to drive it occasionally when our boys have her Sequoia. She hated my last 80 and isn't fond of trying another one. The only thing she hates more is my F350 so having 2 spare vehicles that she can't drive just doesn't make a lot of sense. She did like the couple 100's we drove so that's most likely the platform. Although, I have found a few 4th gen V8 4Runners that look nice and are WELL under budget but am really trying to hold out for another cruiser. Let me know if you see anything...

Made the 'mistake' of driving THIS last week. It was more vehicle than I needed but looked really good. My wife fell in love and kept prompting me that 'this was the one'. I really didn't want to spend that much but after calculating what I would spend in lift/diff drop/tires on a cheaper cruiser, this made more sense.

No immediate plans to do anything other than enjoy it. It does need a timing belt in 15k miles but that could be >2 yrs at the rate I drive (work from home). I'll probably tackle it this summer though. Headlight lens are a little cloudy so I may try to buff them while I shop for some replacements. Otherwise, long range plans may include steel F/R bumpers as these have been 'bumped' a little and a roof rack I can mount my bike racks on.

Really excited to start digging into this! Because the internet is for pics...

20200306_153157.jpg

20200306_153121.jpg

Made the 'mistake' of driving THIS last week. It was more vehicle than I needed but looked really good. My wife fell in love and kept prompting me that 'this was the one'. I really didn't want to spend that much but after calculating what I would spend in lift/diff drop/tires on a cheaper cruiser, this made more sense.

No immediate plans to do anything other than enjoy it. It does need a timing belt in 15k miles but that could be >2 yrs at the rate I drive (work from home). I'll probably tackle it this summer though. Headlight lens are a little cloudy so I may try to buff them while I shop for some replacements. Otherwise, long range plans may include steel F/R bumpers as these have been 'bumped' a little and a roof rack I can mount my bike racks on.

Really excited to start digging into this! Because the internet is for pics...

View attachment 2231243

View attachment 2231240
I love my 470. Great vehicles.
if you want to keep the AHC (I recommend keeping it) @benc makes some beautiful aluminum bumpers to keep the weight down.

Ah well. Just went back and looked at the listing and saw the “hydraulic nonsense” had been removed.

Ah well. Just went back and looked at the listing and saw the “hydraulic nonsense” had been removed.
Thanks! I'm ok with the AHC being disabled, not anything I really need/want.

Thanks for the recommendation on the bumpers, very interested in researching those more...

here's a bumper for ya... :hmm:

I *knew* this would happen.... :rofl:
Just 2 days after buying my LX, THIS popped up on craigslist:
So far my search parameters have been '98-'00 LC/LX, <250k miles, <$10k; would prefer the RR diff lock but not a deal breaker.
Yes, that's a '99, w/ 221k miles & <$10k. Can't say I have buyers remorse, I love the LX. The '99 with RR lock and a ARB front locker to resolve the 2-pinion weakness would have been awesome but I assume this is how hoarding sickness develops. Anyway, I'm pretty close to this if anyone wants me to take a look. I found a very similar one in TN for $5,600 but it had +30k more miles and a big gap in the CarFax history...

2late.JPG

edit. Looks like I’m late to the party. Nice find @Pick
No worries... I probably couldn't have made it down there before summer any way. I appreciate the offer though...

I *knew* this would happen.... :rofl:
Just 2 days after buying my LX, THIS popped up on craigslist:

Yes, that's a '99, w/ 221k miles & <$10k. Can't say I have buyers remorse, I love the LX. The '99 with RR lock and a ARB front locker to resolve the 2-pinion weakness would have been awesome but I assume this is how hoarding sickness develops. Anyway, I'm pretty close to this if anyone wants me to take a look. I found a very similar one in TN for $5,600 but it had +30k more miles and a big gap in the CarFax history...

View attachment 2235055
@izzyandsue is it time?

1st tank down... dang, <200mi for the tank. I knew I wasn't buying a commuter but that was a bit surprising. Still no regrets, I'll take the power & comfort over the fuel efficiency. If I was DD'ing it though I'd probably be reconsidering

Google search says 25.4 gallons and a range of 304 (city) to 381 (highway)
mpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom