Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh no...
IMG_5027.jpeg

No progress on Patty - just more trips to Home Depot. I swear the loading area at HD is like a Caffeine & Octane for old trucks. "That a Hilux?" "You build that bed?" "Dude, sweet truck." I am enjoying just driving the truck - a lot.
IMG_6067.jpeg

But soon (relatively soon) Patty will get to do more than run errands - the OME suspension is on its way. I've had this truck three years and have yet to take it anywhere off-road. The suspension is that bad/stiff. Unlocked with crazy-stiff springs just wouldn't be fun.

I noticed this hours after ordering the suspension. It's like Patty said "whew... finally."
IMG_5886.jpeg

To soften up the ride take out a leaf from the pack. Did that with my FJ40 for a couple of years and then but it back after things got looser.

To soften up the ride take out a leaf from the pack. Did that with my FJ40 for a couple of years and then but it back after things got looser.
On the new springs? The old stuff was junk when it was new - Rough Country heavies. I've heard that even the OME soft/mediums can be a bit stiff/tall when new. I may end up doing that - taking a leaf from the pack.

Yea on the new stuff. Mine were new Downey springs and were just brutal. After a couple of months took out the leaf above the overload on all four corners. Huge ride improvement. After a while they softened up and then I reinstalled the leaves. Ride stayed soft and things were fine. If you do remove the leaves be careful and clamp them real good before you try to loosen the center bolt, lots of energy there.

On the new springs? The old stuff was junk when it was new - Rough Country heavies. I've heard that even the OME soft/mediums can be a bit stiff/tall when new. I may end up doing that - taking a leaf from the pack.
I put OME heavy on the front of my 4R. They have settled probably an inch. That was a good thing.

Yesterday was new suspension day for Patty. Other than the wrong rear shocks (we'll sort that out Monday), the swap was straightforward and without any surprises. Despite the suggestions and our own considerations to remove a leaf or two, we decided to install all four spring packs as-is.

The plan is to finish (yeah, I know - that never happens) the truck, e.g. winch, speaker box (the box, sub, speakers, amp - weighs more than the winch)... and drive the truck for a while. Once the truck is at its full weight and after the springs settle to their final position, I'll decide if and which leaves - front, rear or both - get pulled.

So for now, I'm in "phase one" of this experiment - truck is sitting high and the springs are stiff... you know, right were I was before ;)

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 2.36.39 PM.jpeg

I didn't even get any pics 🤣
Same here! I think That’s the first time the truck’s been in the shop - for anything - and I've not taken 30 pics.

I probably would've taken pics if the before and after measurements hadn't been identical at all four corners.

I drove Patty yesterday. Overall, the difference between the old Rough Country Heavies and new, full-pack OME isn't huge... yet. We know these springs will settle, once fully weighted with time and miles. But it's likely the packs will lose a leaf.

So while the stance is the same (oddly identical) and ride is (too) stiff, it's not as harsh. On the highway, the truck feels better - more stable, tighter. Still - not the end result I'm after. But I'm patient.

I do like that shackles act as an easily tracked pointer gauge.
Currently sitting at -6 degrees (ish). It'll be fun to watch those move into the positive. But I fully anticipate - even weighed and with time/miles - a leaf is coming out.
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 10.35.01 AM.png

When I installed my OME lift I didn’t like the angle of that rear shackle so I moved the spring hanger forward a few inches.

Of course when I replaced my OME lift with my current taller lift I ended up having to move the new spring hanger to the rear due to my current longer leaf springs.

For the cost of some "about-to-crumble" OE rear panels on eBay, I built a box to house a sub, amp and two 6.5" speakers. The box was sized/shaped to match the angle of the seats and the bottom of the side glass. I still have a few inches of "naked" rear panel to cover. I need some ideas there. Could use thin wood and cover - pad and vinyl or carpet - to match the interior, or... ?

IMG_7292.jpeg

IMG_7293.jpeg
IMG_7295.jpeg

Oh, yeah - I know I eliminated any behind-the-seat storage. I'm totally fine with that. I never used it before. This is pretty much a solo ride. I'm also planning a semi-permanent weather-tight box to sit beside the spare on the bed.

Last edited:
I saw some thin ABS sheet (1/16") online that's pretty inexpensive. Supposed be able to easily form with a heat gun. Maybe some YouTube videos out there??

I was going to grab a piece and see what I could do with it. Just not at that point in my build yet. I saw other thicknesses available as well.

Looks great by the way.

I insulated mine with a dense closed cell foam with a layer of offbrand Dynamat underneath. I’m not too fond of the edges, but I haven’t put much thought into fixing it since it’s aesthetics behind the seat. It did make a huge difference in sound and climate though.

1664640749147.jpeg

i deleted the rear plastics on both my 4runners just for the sake of squeaks and rattles.

if you're serious about the extra cab area, a good upholstery guy can make it right.

@Manhattan i like the box. tunes are necessary

If you need heat/sound insulation, one of the above recs…but for looks, the naked white Toyota body panels win.

I like the 1/8" ABS sheet idea. That, some wood, some sound deadening... (my upholstery guy is booked out a couple months). I'm also planning a center console (storage, cup holders, arm rest) and I'll definitely have the upholstery guy pad and wrap that to match the interior/seats. I know my limits.

Nothing new in a while. The 4.88s and lockers are in… the shop finally. That’ll happen in the next few weeks. I’ve really just been driving the truck - a lot!

Currently:
8AA4F128-B48A-48DA-BEEB-B9C35A054A9F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom