Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Body colored with finished wood backer…

@gnob I don’t disagree… sort of. I “know” the wood will look great. I “think” the steel will look better. The wood is my fallback. As @G-Cat eluded, think steel rails with plate (mole panels instead of wood) behind. If it works - bonus. If not - wood is good!

Last edited:
@gnob has seen this before. . . maybe some inspiration? Maybe not.
IMG_3631.JPG

Ooooh... that's pretty. Got one for DigDug yet?

Full disclosure @BMThiker has had a hand in Patty's evolution. Several times Dugan and I looked over to see Rick shaking his head... then suggesting the fix.

Solid progress today - got 95% of the pieces cut and most of it welded up. We’ve got a couple hours worth of work we’ll knock out tomorrow, then it’s off to powder.

BB8092AC-6CA8-4FC6-BF81-4A6C2BC328B5.jpeg

Solid progress today - got 95% of the pieces cut and most of it welded up. We’ve got a couple hours worth of work we’ll knock out tomorrow, then it’s off to powder.

View attachment 2966264
You didn't capture the welding Chacos in this shot ;)

You didn't capture the welding Chacos in this shot ;)
Or the welding shorts. I was just glad Dugan went with a proper helmet and not the safety squints.

The sides are off to be powder coated... body color.

Sitting on the floor and up close, the consensus was that black would look great.
IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

But we (and you guys) think body color will look better and work to "bulk up" the flatbed.
Standing further back from the truck kinda proved the point - black will essentially disappear.
IMG_4785.jpeg

The next little project will likely be the wood - boards mounted to the backside of the rails.
I still have to do some more research on the ideal wood, e.g. pressure treated pine, cedar etc.
Gotta balance looks, moisture/sun resistance and cost - I want to use the truck...
not worry about drilling/strapping/scratching some pristine exotic piece of wood ;)

Cypress sounds like it could be ideal (just read a bit about the weather-resistance, etc.). Now, gotta find a source!

Color match was the right call…by a mile.

Thanks guys.

Now, to find some Cypress or Hemlock or...

View attachment 2978244
I learned about this local source when I was building product design models. They are still around and will get you just about anything in any quantity.

I walked into the garage this am and just stopped. The more I look at the bed/sides, the more I think I'm going to hold off on the wood. I like it as it is. Definitely not ruling the wood out. I'm going to turn to the other things, e.g. suspension, gears, lockers... Rumor has it @BMThiker you're pretty familiar with swapping those ;)

IMG_5015.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom