Part-Time Conversion on the mind? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beno sent me down the same rabbit hole a couple years back. You will be the only person in the world that says it can work.
The spline on a IFS 100 are not the same as a 80 series. I tried fitment on the above Aisin hub on a 99 01 and 06 no Beuno

IF you are willing to accept a 100% return including shipping if they dont fit I purchase a set today. Let me know

You may want to see the below thread first

LOKKA Part -Time Kit
Damn after this news, I might have to convert my 99 hundy into part time also, never been a fan of any other aftermarket hub brands.

Well, we are not open today and I'm 100 miles from the shop so I'm not guaranteeing anything ;)

Your urgency is understood but I'll be back in the shop Monday and can look into splines, etc.
Please do follow up on this thread even though this is the 80 forum.. Interested in getting a set if aisins fit 100 series

Damn after this news, I might have to convert my 99 hundy into part time also, never been a fan of any other aftermarket hub brands.

AVM hubs suck compared to Aisin. Im relentless when it comes to getting what I want and I wanted Aisin. You can see from my hub thread above I was denied.

With that said I will be first in line if an Aisin hub is ever available for a IFS 100 axle.

I'll know more Monday when I'm back around parts but I'm recalling a slight variance in the OD of the CV vs the splines in the hubs. However both are 30 spline, it might be that we've converted the inner gear with an RCV or similar allowing fitment. I can't recall the solution but I have a customer running these in his part-time converted UZJ100. He either modified the interior spline or the spline on the CV stub. I've messaged him for an update. My guys in the shop will have a better idea too.

Perhaps we should start a thread in the 100 section as to not cloud up the 80 stuff which we know is a very comfirmed fit! :D

The hub fits and is the correct part number: 43530-60130.

You need a different CV shaft VS the one available in the US market: 43430-60040 vs 43430-60050.

-60130 manual hub will not fit a US market IFS 30 spline CV shaft.

Yea it's the one that goes into where the center diff side gets removed.. I was just wondering about the longetivity of the material used on the lokka spool bushing, seems to be a hardened plastic vs the marks off road spool that seems to have a machined brass bushing iirc.... I too am using a lokka spool and that's why I am asking...

Considering how little force that bushing should see, and he fact that it is submerged in gear oil, my far-from-expert opinion is that the plastic part should be fine.

Excuse my ignorance but, what are the differences other than color? What makes the black hubs "HD"?

Great question. Chromoly inner gears and a double seal, paper gasket and o-ring against the hub body. The reality is the chromoly gears can be installed into any of the colors, we just pre-build them in black. They are also available with upgraded hub stud kits.

Other than front end wear and tear, what is the main benefit to going part time on the front end of an 80? I have read that it doesn't save mpg too much, and AWD in the snow is better. What @scrowley said about lightening the steering makes sense, but I guess I am just trying to make sense out of it. Looks like a good mod, and brings the 80 closer to being more "analog".

cheers, sorry if this is a hijack on the thread...

Other than front end wear and tear, what is the main benefit to going part time on the front end of an 80? I have read that it doesn't save mpg too much, and AWD in the snow is better. What @scrowley said about lightening the steering makes sense, but I guess I am just trying to make sense out of it. Looks like a good mod, and brings the 80 closer to being more "analog".

cheers, sorry if this is a hijack on the thread...
you can get the lower transfer case gears by going the part time route.

Cool, I thought the lower transfer case gears would apply to AWD?

Low range T case gears such as our Sumo Japanese gears fit both part-time and full-time 4 wheel drive cases. The benefits are highlighted a bit above one other benefit is the ability to drive on a broken diff or birf. Obviously this modification is not ideal for everybody, but for some it's a welcome change.

I'm doing it partially for the above reasons and partially to go back to my OEM front shaft and sell off my DC shaft due to vibes from my lift. I can't find a real downside to doing it.

Other than front end wear and tear, what is the main benefit to going part time on the front end of an 80? I have read that it doesn't save mpg too much,

I picked up a little short of 2mpg on the freeway when averaged out.

But what cruiseroutfitters said about getting out with a broken front end. if you break a birf and can't disable the front driveline you can do a lot more damage to the knuckle and spindle.

Also in my case.. I'm at about a 2" lift and after caster correction I had a little bit of front driveshaft vibe that wouldn't go away.. even after new joints, balancing, making sure the slip yoke was in good shape, etc. Now I just dont' use the front driveline unless it's likely to be needed.

Dang, I just gave Kurt all my money for other parts so will have to wait for this. I have gone back and forth in my mind on this setup several times. i like the AWD for the wife on the road, but like the idea of being able to unlock the hubs if I lose a birf....what about the impact of running AWD vs. unlocking the front on chromoloy shafts? I saw a thread that suggested not using chromo with AWD. True?

The metallurgy of chromoly means the wear surfaces like the races in the birf wouldn't hold up as long. But.. Anecdotally I think guys are running them for a lot of AWD miles without issue. Maybe not the 200k stock units seem to go to.

Also, supposedly, guys are wheeling the stock OEM parts pretty hard up to 35" tire without problems.

Thing is.. the chromo stuff is cheaper than new OEM by a long shot.

I originally planned on staying full-time so already ordered OE birfs from japan (cheap) and had a pair of good axles without grooves. With the decision to do PT I would run chromo with NON-HD hub gears. I'd personally rather those be the "fuse" than anything else, even if it would destroy the hub body. As long as the birf/axle/diff survive I can slap on a spare or a drive flange and get out.

That makes sense and I am with you, always make the hub the weakest link as it is the easiest to get to in the middle of nowhere...

and AWD in the snow is better.

When Part timed it's not any different than the likes of lets say a 4Runner with locking hubs in snow...Get out lock the hubs, and instead of shifting into 4H you just press the CDL or a modified hazard switch.

I'm Part timed and live in Denver. Zero issues with snow. Oh, and I have AVM hubs...Theyre trash imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom