LOKKA Part -Time Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe they run AVM hubs.

If you post about what color plastidip you should use for your wheels, if $x is a good price for 100 with xxx,xxx miles, or if a Highlander Hybrid is better than a Land Cruiser, you'll probably get about 100x more replies! I do wish I could be of more help to question though as I think part time would be pretty fantastic. I came from several Jeeps which were all part time, and it is nice for fuel efficiency, ease of turning tight in parking lots, wear and tear, handling to be able to only run the rear wheels when driving on the road. I can't help but think running part time would net probably 2-3 mpgs and make the drivetrain last even longer (though that doesn't seem to be much of an issue).

I'd love to know more too. Their site isn't actually clear - I'll need to look at it closer. I do like the idea of the kit.

If you post about what color plastidip you should use for your wheels, if $x is a good price for 100 with xxx,xxx miles, or if a Highlander Hybrid is better than a Land Cruiser, you'll probably get about 100x more replies! I do wish I could be of more help to question though as I think part time would be pretty fantastic. I came from several Jeeps which were all part time, and it is nice for fuel efficiency, ease of turning tight in parking lots, wear and tear, handling to be able to only run the rear wheels when driving on the road. I can't help but think running part time would net probably 2-3 mpgs and make the drivetrain last even longer (though that doesn't seem to be much of an issue).

I yanked my front driveline and pulled my drive plates and Im loving it. I presently run P/T on my 80 also love it. I can buy Asian hubs to fit my LX470 but they are looking like $500 a set new.:( I will be OK with what ever LOKKA offers in there P/T kit for now as long as they dont stick out 3" :eek:. The reason Im looking for someone who has the kit.:doh: Given the strong response I will try calling LOKKA to get the specs on the hubs they offer in the kit for $500. Im all about P/T in the LX within the next month.;)

That's awesome - please let us know how it goes. Improving mpgs will certainly offset the cost the to a large if not total extent, particularly if it's a daily driver that is kept for many years.

Having run my 80 series P/T with little to no increase in MPG Im not expecting much in the MPG from the LX. What I do like is zero torque steer, the additional drag of the front end components, and the lighter feel of the steering. For me it now goes down the hwy at speed with less input by the driver. This new LX is slated to be a long term vehicle replacing my 10 year old 99 Land Cruiser. It will not be a DD but a travel and towing rig.

Would be interested to find out also. I'm waiting for their lunch box locker to come out for the rear axle, hopefully beginning of 2015. Can't justify an air locker expense for my situation. Their customer service seems to be spot on, I've exchanged emails a few times with them and they are quick to respond.... Taking consideration the time difference.

Would be interested to find out also. I'm waiting for their lunch box locker to come out for the rear axle, hopefully beginning of 2015. Can't justify an air locker expense for my situation. Their customer service seems to be spot on, I've exchanged emails a few times with them and they are quick to respond.... Taking consideration the time difference.

What about the rear locker listed for $440, it is list for the 100 series?

Lokka Part Time Conversion-This is information they sent me about the conversion. I had some other questions and wanted prices. will post up what I find out.

After the conversion there is no centre differential. The centre diff gears are removed, it is these gears that make the front drive parts move ALL the time, the conversion is performed to stop the front parts moving altogether.
With a part-time kit fitted only the rear drives. That is until you use the diff lock mechanism/switch in the transfer case to engage the front shaft. This works because the factory lock mechanism is not inside the centre/transfer case diff itself but rather is right at the front of the transfer case and simply locks the front output shaft to the front half of the centre diff case. Once 'locked' the front 'side gear' in the centre diff cannot turn, so all the other diff gears are also fixed relative to the case and the two tailshafts are effectively locked together.
The kit simply uses this existing mechanism to get drive through the centre diff case to the front tailshaft after the conversion.
Advantages of the part-time conversion include a drop in fuel consumption by between 14 and 16%*, massive reduction of wear on all front end components - particularly the CV joints, boots and axle flanges, substantially reduces the drive line backlash most noticeable with rapid acceleration followed by deceleration or poor clutch pedal control on manual vehicles and makes a much smoother, more economical vehicle out of 80 and 100 Series vehicles.

Interesting. I'm a little skeptical of "a drop in fuel consumption by between 14 and 16%", I doubt it is more than 1 mpg. But I do like the idea of not turning the front drivetrain all the time.

I have been running P/T on my 80 series for a couple years and I cant say I have seen a noticeable increase in MPG.

I have been driving my LX with the drive line removed and no drive plates. I love the same feel or lack of feeling I get with only rear drive. The nice advantage over my 80 series is you keep your ABS and traction controls on the 100 series.

Aisin hubs have been ordered over the AVM due to the smaller size. Waiting to hear back from LOKKA on rear locker availability before I place my PT spool order.

First 100 series 2WD test over Veterns day weekend with hubs installed only.

Full time 4WD is great for the snow, but for a dedicated trail rig it isn't necessary.

When the 96+ Trooper guys convert from SOTF (front drive train always turning) to manual lockout hubs, some have report mpg gains in the 0.5 - 1 mpg range. Others have not noticed a difference.

I have been running P/T on my 80 series for a couple years and I cant say I have seen a noticeable increase in MPG.

I have been driving my LX with the drive line removed and no drive plates. I love the same feel or lack of feeling I get with only rear drive. The nice advantage over my 80 series is you keep your ABS and traction controls on the 100 series.

Aisin hubs have been ordered over the AVM due to the smaller size. Waiting to hear back from LOKKA on rear locker availability before I place my PT spool order.

First 100 series 2WD test over Veterns day weekend with hubs installed only.

That's awesome! At least you don't have to worry about a freak snowstorm in Scottsdale ;) Although when I was in college at NAU, I took my topless and doorless CJ5 down from Flagstaff to Scottsdale for the weekend, and when I was coming home I was stopped dead in traffic on I-17 going north because of a blizzard which caused a wreck and thus eventually caused me to get pneumonia (no working heater in the Jeep either). Ah the good old days :)

That's awesome! At least you don't have to worry about a freak snowstorm in Scottsdale ;) Although when I was in college at NAU, I took my topless and doorless CJ5 down from Flagstaff to Scottsdale for the weekend, and when I was coming home I was stopped dead in traffic on I-17 going north because of a blizzard which caused a wreck and thus eventually caused me to get pneumonia (no working heater in the Jeep either). Ah the good old days :)

Pictured a few miles north of my casa
IMG_5226.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom