ONSC Chat (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quarter Million on a 2009 Tacoma Pre-runner.
All I've done is put gas in it, routine maintenance, front brakes, and both front wheel bearings.
I change the oil every 10k with M1 high mileage 5w-30.
Runs like a champ.
I highly recommend a Tacoma but I think I'm preaching to the choir.
I'm hoping for half a million and beyond.

IMG_1424.JPG

Braintrust,
Yesterday, I'm driving a 2011 Ford box truck, loaded to capacity. AC is on and working fine all across the board. When the engine starts to struggle (going up a long hill, flooring it to pass, etc), the air stops blowing from the vents and instead comes out of the defrost vents. I'm pretty sure that it was always Defrost Low regardless of what fan speed the AC was on. The air felt cold from the defrost vents but it was hard to say since it wasn't really hot out. I was solo and it's quite a reach over the dash, especially at highway speeds, so I apologize for my lack of absolute test results there.

Am I looking at a switch issue or something more sinister? If it matters, the switch is the same as this one (minus the Rear Fan control). It's not my truck so I'm mostly just curious about this.

EDIT for @GLTHFJ60: I knew you'd say something like that - you just have that air about you. Below pic stolen from the internets. :flipoff2:

2014-Ford-E-Series-dash-screen-view2.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is easy to spot in that picture. Its that blue oval shaped thingie on the television screen.

Braintrust,
Yesterday, I'm driving a 2011 Ford box truck, loaded to capacity. AC is on and working fine all across the board. When the engine starts to struggle (going up a long hill, flooring it to pass, etc), the air stops blowing from the vents and instead comes out of the defrost vents. I'm pretty sure that it was always Defrost Low regardless of what fan speed the AC was on. The air felt cold from the defrost vents but it was hard to say since it wasn't really hot out. I was solo and it's quite a reach over the dash, especially at highway speeds, so I apologize for my lack of absolute test results there.

Am I looking at a switch issue or something more sinister? If it matters, the switch is the same as this one (minus the Rear Fan control). It's not my truck so I'm mostly just curious about this.

When I worked at Carmax we saw alot of issues with Fords and their mode door actuators or mode doors behind the dash some were easy to replace some were a pain in the ass and had to remove the entire dash to access.

My Dmax, every once in a while, gets confused about the air flow vs switch position. It's clumsy, but if I can just pull over and quickly turn off the engine and restart, it fixes it. Has happened maybe 1/2dozen times or so.

Can I just say driving a 50-year old truck on the Interstate is nerve-wracking. No, not because it will only do 55mph with only 3 gears. No, not because the 36" bias ply tires wander a little. No, not because even with power brakes it still takes a lot to stop the old truck.

The camper trailer tire blowing next to me scared the s*** out of me and caused me to pull over thinking something was wrong with my truck. Only after we got back on the I-85 did I realize what had happened when I recognized the trailer on the side of the road with a blow-out.

And then a truck towing an unloaded car dolly drove by and that dolly just bounced along clanking and banging scaring the s*** out of me again.

I really need AC so I can roll up the windows and then sound deadening so I can't hear outside noises...

Or just do like most of the rest of us do - get a newer car for daily driving and keep the 40 off the highway.

Do like the rest of us do without AC on the highway. Put earplugs in :hillbilly:

@tgadd When are you gonna paint your logo on the screens? You can also offer to paint your clients logo for a fee that covers someone transferring their artwork to a template set that can be used to spray with. Or hire a graffiti artist to paint the logo.

Or maybe offer to have a logo banner made for the lower screens since they probably won't take any impacts. For a fee, of course. Corporate folks will often pay for that kind of thing or have one made to your size on their own dime.

Braintrust,

EDIT for @GLTHFJ60: I knew you'd say something like that - you just have that air about you. Below pic stolen from the internets. :flipoff2:

The mode door snapped in my '03 Dodge 1500. Now I have only center vents and nothing for defrost or floor heat. Chevys have the same issue except that their problems usually involve the little actuators that open and close the doors. One big reason I got rid of the GMC I had was that every time I had to disconnect the battery (to replace it or do maintenance) the actuators would lose their positions. When that happens they try to re-center. They usually would click incessantly for a few weeks until the gears snapped and then die. Replacement meant removing the dash (which I did). Remember when heat and air controls were operated by sliding knobs and cables? They never broke. Ever. Same for side mirrors. New sucks. I like old.

@tgadd When are you gonna paint your logo on the screens? You can also offer to paint your clients logo for a fee that covers someone transferring their artwork to a template set that can be used to spray with. Or hire a graffiti artist to paint the logo.

Or maybe offer to have a logo banner made for the lower screens since they probably won't take any impacts. For a fee, of course. Corporate folks will often pay for that kind of thing or have one made to your size on their own dime.

If those metal panels are ferrous...magnetic signs to stick on, and remove when one eyed people or men with womenly arms attempt to throw..

Or regular banner signs held on with small magnets.

Can I just say driving a 50-year old truck on the Interstate is nerve-wracking. No, not because it will only do 55mph with only 3 gears. No, not because the 36" bias ply tires wander a little. No, not because even with power brakes it still takes a lot to stop the old truck.

The camper trailer tire blowing next to me scared the s*** out of me and caused me to pull over thinking something was wrong with my truck. Only after we got back on the I-85 did I realize what had happened when I recognized the trailer on the side of the road with a blow-out.

And then a truck towing an unloaded car dolly drove by and that dolly just bounced along clanking and banging scaring the s*** out of me again.

I really need AC so I can roll up the windows and then sound deadening so I can't hear outside noises...

Improved living, via Amazon...Amazon.com: LG Electronics Tone Pro HBS-750 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: LG: Cell Phones & Accessories

Holy cow! That's ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom