Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still could be. Not many places for oil to leak out down there. Side cover, rear of valve cover, Welch plug / hex plug, rear main, oil pan.

Still could be. Not many places for oil to leak out down there. Side cover, rear of valve cover, Welch plug / hex plug, rear main, oil pan.

I’ll look for sure. That’s a good idea.

They rear main looks dry to my eye….I just cant see it all of the sudden not having any oil on it if that’s the source

Rear Welch plug maybe. Not the freeze plug visible in the pic, the Welch plug that's farther up above the crank on the driver side of the rear of the block.

^^ This. I have a press in Welch plug on mine that's leaking. @wngrog With the transmission out, pull the flywheel and bellhousing and you can access it.

^^ This. I have a press in Welch plug on mine that's leaking. @wngrog With the transmission out, pull the flywheel and bellhousing and you can access it.

Yeah it’s all out … I’ll pop the bellhousing off tomorrow. I’ll weld that bitch up if it’s leaking

Yeah it’s all out … I’ll pop the bellhousing off tomorrow. I’ll weld that bitch up if it’s leaking

If it's the hex plug version, some pipe dope or Teflon tape maybe? I'd be hesitant to weld on it, hard to get a good weld with all that oil soaked metal.

Either way, interested to see what you find.

I’ve got so much crap gathered for this build up. The trans/transfer get a external reseal and it’s going in the Powda Blue 40 build. @orangefj45 sent all the stuff to refresh that combo in the other 1/2 of that pallet box

07C4B44F-E9FA-4DE7-B192-09A5689C23C1.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's the hex plug version, some pipe dope or Teflon tape maybe? I'd be hesitant to weld on it, hard to get a good weld with all that oil soaked metal.

Either way, interested to see what you find.

I’m kidding but I’m actually hoping that’s what it is. Otherwise I’m at a loss.

Looks like there's Orange RTV at the Rear main/bearing cap instead of FIPG (@3'oclock in pic) ... ? Although it does appear to be migrating from higher up where the plug is... PITA for sure.

833d1ece-710c-4cde-a130-76bb2ba279ea-jpeg.2850678

Oil pan gasket is bleeding below the bearings..I hope it isn't that damn thing.

It’s a weep at most. I’m not pulling that. No way.

The truck sat in my shop 10 days and not a single drop of oil on the floor so whatever it was it stopped on its own but I gotta find it while it’s apart

Aircooled VWs are known for their leaks. We've taken to using 3M Window Weld in certain non-heat applications to seal those suckers up. Other than sealing, the big advantage is that you can get it back apart as well.

Looks like there's Orange RTV at the Rear main/bearing cap instead of FIPG (@3'oclock in pic) ... ? Although it does appear to be migrating from higher up where the plug is... PITA for sure.
There's supposed to be a bit of rtv/fipg in the corners of the oil pan gasket when you install it.

So on my last big trip out I had a bunch of engine oil spraying back. I noticed it on the trailer and then on the LRA when I climbed under the truck.

I’m pissed because I just put a clutch in the damn thing less than a 1000 miles ago. Something was leaking. I figured rear main.

I stewed on it over the weekend then figured.

1) if I pull it again I’m replacing the last mechanical thing (s) on this truck that actually have 240,000 miles on

2) rebuilding my axles with lockers and 4.10s

Open it up today and the rear main is dry as a damn bone

View attachment 2850678
I’ve got a similar leak somewhere. I had it all apart when I installed my 5 speed last winter and I couldn’t for the life of me find its source. It never leaves a drop on the ground. I just drove across the country and lost about 2 quarts of oil. I can’t figure out where it’s going.

I’ve got a similar leak somewhere. I had it all apart when I installed my 5 speed last winter and I couldn’t for the life of me find its source. It never leaves a drop on the ground. I just drove across the country and lost about 2 quarts of oil. I can’t figure out where it’s going.
Was it blowing back in a mist like mine or using it in the engine?

Does the flywheel have oil on it? IF the rear of the oil pan is leaking it will hit the flywheel and spray all over like that. I just had to do that to a 2f of mine. Check the bolts on the oil pan. It only leaked while running because the oil in the pan at static was below the rear of the oil pan.

Aight. I rushed home and yanked the bellhousing hoping for a revelation but alas. It dry as a bone back here.
AE0F0CD9-16DA-4AAE-8759-92E21DD06973.jpeg

That said the side cover bolts were pretty damn loose so I’m gonna call it that and button this thing back up
0551A666-EFD5-4C15-BEA6-B47F01F6C8E9.jpeg

The oil on the front of the bellhousing is on the side cover side so yeah.
E1B4F16B-F710-43EF-BB72-9720173469C5.jpeg
I cleaned this weep up real good yesterday and this is what seeped back out. 10000% not worth messing with that oil pan gasket for that.

Edit. Turned out this was a loose oil filter leaking.

Last edited:
Does the flywheel have oil on it? IF the rear of the oil pan is leaking it will hit the flywheel and spray all over like that. I just had to do that to a 2f of mine. Check the bolts on the oil pan. It only leaked while running because the oil in the pan at static was below the rear of the oil pan.
Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate were clean. I think it was coming out of the side cover and then getting in to the bellhousing.

Shout out to Georg and Trail Tailor for bringing these H55 length Tcase shifters to the market. Everyone grabbing up 85-87 shifters was getting expensive. I know I paid less for this new kit than I did the last two used sets

DFAA8CA5-BD84-49EF-8207-05DA8A4886A1.jpeg

FB598869-FFA0-43CE-9358-1878D0809E20.jpeg

B815B1F8-8433-42F7-B79C-DCAAAA09F712.jpeg

Was it blowing back in a mist like mine or using it in the engine?
I’m really not sure. I think it’s probably internal since I’m pushing 185,00 miles and have yet to do any internal work on the engine. But I see no signs of it otherwise. I do have a small leak somewhere close to what you were experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom