New seatbelt alternative using 79-series belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, was wondering if the same set could fit in the back seat or if another 70 series kit would work as a retrofit.

Thought length measurements of an OEM rear set to compare to the front retractable belts listed above would be a starting point.
Yeah someone should check out the rear seatbelt configuration in 78 series wagons and 4-door 79 series. Maybe even the rear 80 series belts will work?

I just have the lap belts. Our 62 was born a few months too early to get the shoulder belts. I may try the non-retractable OEM option that $OR lists as that is a bolt in solution.

If you decide you want to go the non-retractable route drop me a PM. I have a set of OEM non-retractable belts that I will sell for a lot less than $OR. IMO, though, retractable is the way to go.

I have both new 60 fronts and rears, I'll check. IIRC the rears are a bit shorter.

J

That would make sense. Thinking about it the front seat mount is down below the seat level (near the floor pan). The rear floor pan come up under the rear bench (rear shock mount tub arc up towards this void) so I would expect them to be shorter but wondering how much shorter the rear belts are, and if that changes the dimensions on the retractor (due to the shorter belt material).

Just wanted to add this link in here so people can find the various threads on seatbelt replacement options. @red66toy - Great thread and new information. Thanks!

New Seat Belts for my 84

Wish this could get FAQ'd.... ? @Mace ??

Done

:beer::clap::steer:

Awesome! Thanks! :beer::D
We made it into the FAQ section @boozewz ! woot woot!

Last edited:
anybody got a parts list for replacing the rear belts with OEM parts still available, for retractable belts and the center lap belt. a list of numbers would be awesome.
thanks

anybody got a parts list for replacing the rear belts with OEM parts still available, for retractable belts and the center lap belt. a list of numbers would be awesome.
thanks
As far as I know, no one has demonstrated using new OEM toyota parts for the rear seatbelts from another cruiser. The original 60 series parts are long discontinued from Toyota and the only new sets I know of would have to be pried from @reevesci 's iron clad grip. hahahaha. I would be very interested to see if the rear belt assemblies from an 80 series would work, or another 70 series. Someone should explore this.......

I've got Beno working on it, thanks to the numbers you've provided. Will see what he comes up with. I'll post up pics part numbers and pics when i get something nailed down.

Hey,
I know this is a old thread but just wondering if anyone found any details on a replacement for the rear seat lap belts on a 1982 fj60? Hope someone came across a bolt in that is still available ......
Thanks

Hey,
I know this is a old thread but just wondering if anyone found any details on a replacement for the rear seat lap belts on a 1982 fj60? Hope someone came across a bolt in that is still available ......
Thanks

Seatbeltplanet.com should have options. The retractable shoulder belt set won't be a simple bolt in option. But the lap belt should be. Give Steve a call.

Bump. Anyone been able to buy a complete front set in grey recently?

A quick search on amayama shows one shoulder belt for $130, the other not for sale in the US. Maybe try another overseas website like megazip, or I think there is a guy in the classified section offering to send parts from Japan. Also I have seen references to this source for parts from Japan: David Stedman from Japan4X4.com

A quick search on amayama shows one shoulder belt for $130, the other not for sale in the US. Maybe try another overseas website like megazip, or I think there is a guy in the classified section offering to send parts from Japan. Also I have seen references to this source for parts from Japan: David Stedman from Japan4X4.com

Ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I figured that grey shoulder belts for a 79 would be too recent and common to discontinue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom