New H55f/Shift Lever Installation Caution - Factory Gear Setting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to finalize my to-do lists and cautions regarding the installation of a new H55f 5-speed (behind a 3FE and in front of an FJ62 transfer case) in my '86 FJ60 project. I recall reading somewhere here on MUD fairly recently (last year or two) that the H55f gears are "pre-set" at the factory, and that there is an important step or two to keep in mind during and immediately after installation. Something having to do with ensuring the gears can be shifted properly after installing the shift lever. I've searched every way I can think of and can't find the thread/post where this was mentioned. Does anyone recall anything along these lines?

They should be in neutral, is the transmission in neutral?

It's still in the box (I know, it's been in that box for >2 years now, time to finally get it installed :)). I'll go out in the garage, check it out, and reply back in a minute.

It's in 4th gear, same as the day Cdan helped me load it in my truck.

Install the shift lever into the transmission top cover. Shift through all the gears. If it shifts, you're good to go. If you can't shift at all, report back here.

If the transmission was shipped horizontally, it should b fine. Sometimes the reverse idler gear can slide forward and push a shift fork in the wrong position which locks up the tranny. But that can be fixed easily.

Thanks for the replies. All I know is that when we loaded the transmission into my truck from the dock at American Toyota it was horizontal, and it's been that way ever since. I've got the shift lever down in the basement so will try shifting it through the gears this afternoon. I'll post the outcome either way.

& Make sure to install the rubber seat (gasket) into the shifter neck for the lever ball shaped thing to rest on.

Thanks for the replies. All I know is that when we loaded the transmission into my truck from the dock at American Toyota it was horizontal, and it's been that way ever since. I've got the shift lever down in the basement so will try shifting it through the gears this afternoon. I'll post the outcome either way.

Its also very important that you make engine sounds when shifting through the gears..:D
That is all the "tech" I have. sorry.

Its also very important that you make engine sounds when shifting through the gears..:D
That is all the "tech" I have. sorry.
I'll have to practice with getting the change in engine sound right when I hit 5th gear - it's been a while since I drove my '93 4-Runner (my son's been "borrowing" it since he went to college in 2002), and my '01 Silverado 2500HD has a ZF6 6-speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom